how to send sms using this card?

I am using Dell™ TrueMobile™ 5100 Tri-band GPRS PC Card

430-0749.jpg

to connect it to the lab view to send an sms to any phone, how can I use it? is it from the visa??if yes how??if not also how? I am biggener to labview and I need to do this application as soon as posibile for my graduation project. if anyone has a vi can you post it here to help me

I think the card support dll and activeX but the problem that I need help because I am not that well on labview

I do not know how to use this PC card, but in the past I was able to send SMS from LabVIEW using the built in SMTP VIs and an Email to SMS Gateways.

Basically for each carrier you have to find an email address to target: This is typically like cell_phone_numer@carrier.com. Once you got that you just send an email and the email is automatically converted to a SMS send to the person cell_phone_numer.

The screenshot below show the settings for verizon (along with the SMTP VIs palette).

post-121-1207686570.png?width=400

PJM

QUOTE (MikaelH @ Apr 8 2008, 09:44 PM)

In the past I have used GSM/GPRS Modems, but they were connected on the serial port as a normal modem, and then I used AT-commands to send SMS.

//MH

that you all guys for your reply, I am trying to make it work by reading more about the activeX method way to connect between the card and labview....if I did the target I will post it and show you guys my mothod in a simple way...if not, I will try another modem which is connect on the serial port and use the at commands by taking help from you mikaelh....about the smtp method,I feel that this my last choice because I am not familar with it at it all :)

wish me luck guys and I hope I could help you some day like you did with me!

QUOTE (reemon @ Apr 13 2008, 07:01 AM)

guys I switch to serial modem because the GPRS card is not working, can any body tell me how to do first before make the vi??

I mean how to make the modem visible to lab view?? how to use visa to install it??

VISA is an API not an installer and therefore you do not use VISA to install a modem.

Your modem should come with an INF file and better yet a real installer that will tell Windows how to control it as a COM port. Also most GSM cards will usually install as COM port somehow.

Once you can see a COM port in the Widnwos device manager for your modem you can start fiddling around with it. A good start is trying to connect to it through Hyperterminal. A simple AT command should give you then an OK response. If it works that far in Hyperterminal your next step is getting to know VISA and starting to send commands to your modem through VISA. Most serial GSM modems will more or less adher to the ETSI command standard that is based on the Hayes AT command set and extended with specific commands for SMS message handling, transparent voice mode and many more things.

The crux here is the "will adhere more or less" since each modem manufacturer likes to invent a few modem specific commands that will not work or at least not in the same way on other modems.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (rolfk @ Apr 14 2008, 08:04 AM)

VISA is an API not an installer and therefore you do not use VISA to install a modem.

Your modem should come with an INF file and better yet a real installer that will tell Windows how to control it as a COM port. Also most GSM cards will usually install as COM port somehow.

Once you can see a COM port in the Widnwos device manager for your modem you can start fiddling around with it. A good start is trying to connect to it through Hyperterminal. A simple AT command should give you then an OK response. If it works that far in Hyperterminal your next step is getting to know VISA and starting to send commands to your modem through VISA. Most serial GSM modems will more or less adher to the ETSI command standard that is based on the Hayes AT command set and extended with specific commands for SMS message handling, transparent voice mode and many more things.

The crux here is the "will adhere more or less" since each modem manufacturer likes to invent a few modem specific commands that will not work or at least not in the same way on other modems.

Rolf Kalbermatter

thank you Rolf for your reply,

I used the Hyperterminal and send an sms to my mobile and it worked :) so the next step for me as you said is to start to know VISA and really I need help because I never worked on it and I have difficulties with it. can you show me at leat what to first?

and about the modem! It didn't come with a CD so when you said that modem comes with it INF file did you mean that I should have a CD and without it I can not work? because I bought the modem from ebay and I don't think that he has a CD for this type of model

QUOTE (reemon @ Apr 14 2008, 05:22 AM)

thank you Rolf for your reply,

I used the Hyperterminal and send an sms to my mobile and it worked :) so the next step for me as you said is to start to know VISA and really I need help because I never worked on it and I have difficulties with it. can you show me at leat what to first?

and about the modem! It didn't come with a CD so when you said that modem comes with it INF file did you mean that I should have a CD and without it I can not work? because I bought the modem from ebay and I don't think that he has a CD for this type of model

Well about an example to do VISA communication with serial devices you best look into the LabVIEW examples. There is am example examples\instr\smplserl.llb\Advanced Serial Write and Read.vi that should give you some sort of Hyperterminal like functionality and looking at it's diagram should give you an idea.

About the INF file: Yes it would be nice to have a CD or floppy with such a file for your modem. It would be used to install the modem as a Windows recognized modem so that you could use it from Windows software. For talking with the device yourself through Hyperterminal or LabVIEW you don't really need such a file at all, other than looking into it will give you some ides about what initialisation string to use to setup the modem in a known state after connecting to it.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (rolfk @ Apr 14 2008, 02:38 PM)

Well about an example to do VISA communication with serial devices you best look into the LabVIEW examples. There is am example examples\instr\smplserl.llb\Advanced Serial Write and Read.vi that should give you some sort of Hyperterminal like functionality and looking at it's diagram should give you an idea.

About the INF file: Yes it would be nice to have a CD or floppy with such a file for your modem. It would be used to install the modem as a Windows recognized modem so that you could use it from Windows software. For talking with the device yourself through Hyperterminal or LabVIEW you don't really need such a file at all, other than looking into it will give you some ides about what initialisation string to use to setup the modem in a known state after connecting to it.

Rolf Kalbermatter

thanks for the example and I will read it now and see how far I can reach.about the file I think that I can not have it because the product comes with no CD so what do you think???does this will make a problem for me??because if so, I will try to find another gsm modem because it takes time to order it

QUOTE (reemon @ Apr 14 2008, 09:55 AM)

thanks for the example and I will read it now and see how far I can reach.about the file I think that I can not have it because the product comes with no CD so what do you think???does this will make a problem for me??because if so, I will try to find another gsm modem because it takes time to order it

As said the INF file is handy if you want to use the modem from within Windows directly and also to gleem a possible initialisation string to use. There is not a big issue if you don't have that, as long as you have a manual that documents the AT commands the modem understands. This is very important since although most GSM modems will support some form of ETSI compliant command set, I have not really seen any modem so far that implements the ETSI standard to the letter.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (rolfk @ Apr 14 2008, 03:05 PM)

As said the INF file is handy if you want to use the modem from within Windows directly and also to gleem a possible initialisation string to use. There is not a big issue if you don't have that, as long as you have a manual that documents the AT commands the modem understands. This is very important since although most GSM modems will support some form of ETSI compliant command set, I have not really seen any modem so far that implements the ETSI standard to the letter.

Rolf Kalbermatter

I have the AT commands for this modem. but I want to ask you: where do I have to write the AT commands on the vi??? is it on a "string to write" or on the formula node or something else?? I am using the example "basic serial write and read.vi" for now but I will remove the reading part because I only need the writing part

QUOTE (reemon @ Apr 14 2008, 12:46 PM)

I have the AT commands for this modem. but I want to ask you: where do I have to write the AT commands on the vi??? is it on a "string to write" or on the formula node or something else?? I am using the example "basic serial write and read.vi" for now but I will remove the reading part because I only need the writing part

Don't use the Basic Serial Write and Read.vi. It won't work without modifications for a modem, since it does not append carriage return/line feeds automatically to the send string or terminates on such a received character when receiving strings.

Also do not remove the reading part. AT commands will almost always (with the exception of very few commands or if you specifically disable it with an AT command) send something back to indicate of the success of the command. It is exptremely helpful to verify that after you send a command the modem is really returning OK (or something command specific) to the command. The modem could be in some mode that does not allow a specific command at the moment and without indication of the command status you could debug hours if not days before you suddenly stumble across the problem.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (rolfk @ Apr 14 2008, 06:48 PM)

Don't use the Basic Serial Write and Read.vi. It won't work without modifications for a modem, since it does not append carriage return/line feeds automatically to the send string or terminates on such a received character when receiving strings.

Also do not remove the reading part. AT commands will almost always (with the exception of very few commands or if you specifically disable it with an AT command) send something back to indicate of the success of the command. It is exptremely helpful to verify that after you send a command the modem is really returning OK (or something command specific) to the command. The modem could be in some mode that does not allow a specific command at the moment and without indication of the command status you could debug hours if not days before you suddenly stumble across the problem.

Rolf Kalbermatter

rolf you said that I need VISA to configure my modem so I need to put READ VISA and WRITE VISA, but I found a VI from someone who built it without using VISA, the concept is to put the port number of your device. please check it and see if it is working so I don't have to build a new one

QUOTE (reemon @ Apr 15 2008, 06:20 AM)

rolf you said that I need VISA to configure my modem so I need to put READ VISA and WRITE VISA, but I found a VI from someone who built it without using VISA, the concept is to put the port number of your device. please check it and see if it is working so I don't have to build a new one

These VIs use a low-level interface that is not available in LabVIEW since about version 5.1 anymore. By copying files (serpdrv) from an older LabVIEW installation you can make it work in newer LabVIEW versions but NI has repeatedly stated that they would like and are going to remove support for that interface sooner or later.

Go with VISA if you want to build something for the future.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (rolfk @ Apr 15 2008, 09:42 PM)

These VIs use a low-level interface that is not available in LabVIEW since about version 5.1 anymore. By copying files (serpdrv) from an older LabVIEW installation you can make it work in newer LabVIEW versions but NI has repeatedly stated that they would like and are going to remove support for that interface sooner or later.

Go with VISA if you want to build something for the future.

Rolf Kalbermatter

HELLO rolf,

I take your advice and I modified the previous vi and replace it with VISA so please can you check it cause I don't think that it has problem but It didn't send a message to my phone???????????