Missing coercion dot?

Hi again,

I recently found another data conversion I don´t understand. Why isn´t there a coercion dot at the second join numbers?

post-1037-1213624138.png?width=400

LV 8.5.1

I know that this isn´t a good style for lowlevel data manipulation, but a hint from LV about the implicit byte that is added would be nice.

Thank you for reporting.

After playing a little with join numbers I came to another behavior I wouldn´t have (naively) expected:

post-1037-1213653811.png?width=400

(both results are the same)

The implicit type cast of the signed inputs made total sense to me after a second thought and reminded me to always think (at least) twice about the bits and bytes underneath when using the data manipulation primitives. :rolleyes:

QUOTE (Götz Becker @ Jun 17 2008, 12:28 AM)

The implicit type cast of the signed inputs made total sense to me after a second thought and reminded me to always think (at least) twice about the bits and bytes underneath when using the data manipulation primitives. :rolleyes:

Yes I agree that this type cast makes sense. Still, it wouldn't hurt to have coercion dots at those inputs, too.

To split some hairs:

In this example, the I16 values are not really coerced, they are typecasted, which should make a difference for negative numbers.

But that seems to be LabVIEW's normal coercion dot behaviour for converting I16 to U16. If you wire a value of -1 to an U16 input you will get 0xFFFF (which is correct, but I would call this a type cast; a coercion should give the result 0 here as I understand this term).