Programmatically changing image within control

vugie

Cross-post

I found the way how to change image on boolean button without using control editor. Essentially you have to to manually insert a png as button image and then replace it with another png programmatically inside .ctl file. The only condition is that initial png file has to have greater filesize than new one. If you want to make a lot of buttons just create first one using biggest PNG (by file size not dimensions). Technically it should be possible to replace any image inside a control with this method.

As .ctl file looks exactly like macintosh resource fork, it should be also possible to omit the limitation of smaller size, by updating respective offsets within a file, however I failed with first trials (not many).

Example attached - LV8.2

post-7450-125924959571_thumb.png

buttontest.zip

Edited by vugie
  • Like 2

Ok, I made it with even simpler way and withouth the limitation of size:

post-7450-125936304312_thumb.png

Respective VIs are located in: <LV_DIR>\resource\plugins\NewDialogFiles\ProjectWizards\IDNPA\CloneIDProject\dependencies\ResManager

In this case I'm searching only for PNG's header (well, part of). If there are more PNGs within control you have to search for something more specific.

Rolf, thanks for inspiration...

buttontest2.zip

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Changed Name and location

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2009\vi.lib\Palette API\ResMgr\Save Resource.vi

-Scott

Thank you.

I found them, but I got this error:

This VI cannot access the referenced item because of library access scope. Items in private scope can be accessed only from the following locations:

1) from inside the owning library or LabVIEW class

2) from inside a library contained by the owning library.

Why is that?

Regards Bjarne

This VI cannot access the referenced item because of library access scope. Items in private scope can be accessed only from the following locations:

1) from inside the owning library or LabVIEW class

2) from inside a library contained by the owning library.

Why is that?

Because it is part of a library and is marked as a private item. Looks like you'll need to use the one from 8.6.

-Scott