Submitter: Francois Normandin

Submitted: 18 Jan 2010

Category: LabVIEW IDE

LabVIEW Version: 2009

License Type: BSD (Most common)

Public Git repo (source code): 

====================================

Open Office RGT addon v0.2.0 beta

Copyright © 2010-2016, François Normandin.
All rights reserved.

Author:François Normandin
Contact Info: Contact via PM on www.lavag.org

LabVIEW Versions:
Created and tested with LabVIEW 2009

Dependencies:
Report Generation toolkit (part of it is included in the base package: Word & Excel require license)

Description:
This package contains an installer and class to use the AODL (An OpenDocument library) with the Report Generation toolkit
from National Instruments.

Includes:

- ooWriter class
- AODL classes (and DLLs)
- PreInstall and PreUninstall VIs to backup the only modified NI VI: New Report.vi (in Utility\NIReport.llb)

Instructions:
After installing package with VIPM, use the NI Report Generation palette as usual.

Known Issues:

1- ooWriter: 
Styles integration is incomplete. Needs to have a real "style" class created that will comply with current standard in RGT.
Adding an image is not working correctly: it is embedded in a paragraph instead of being standalone.

2- ooCalc: no integration yet, but rather similar to ooWriter in principle. (All the roadblocks will be cleared by ooWriter)

3- This code has been done with LV2009. I see no problem for using with LV 8.2 and up, it's just a matter of 
saving for previous version and distribute. This will be done at a later date.

Acknowledgements:
National Instruments. (NI Report Generation Toolkit) ** LVOOP rocks **
AODL by Sun Microsystems, Inc. Copyright 2007

History:

v0.2.0: released on bitbucket (Git) for community

v0.1.0: Initial release of the code. (LV2009)

License:

LabVIEW libraries of OpenOffice for RGT addon are licensed under BSD.
AODL us distributed under the LGPL license.
(see license files for more detail)

Support:
If you have any problems with this code or want to suggest features:
please go to www.lavag.org and Navigate to the discussion page.

Distribution:
This code was downloaded from the LAVA Code Repository found at www.lavag.org 

============================

Click here to download this file

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

I don't think an 8.2 version will help you. Based on the description here, it looks like this plugs into the OOP version of the RGT, which was only released with 8.6 (and which I believe also relies on certain LVOOP features which weren't available in 8.2, so you couldn't backsave that even if the license allowed it, which it probably doesn't).

Hi all,

Did anyone manage to backsave the addon to LV8.6 ?

I tried, but it seems more complicated than just a "save for previous version"...

Thanks

This is why I didn't do it yet. I developed it in LV2009 and would need to make sure the directory structure is the same.

This work is done at home on my spare time and since I don't have 8.6 installed on my personal computer, that's not my priority right now. With the beautiful season coming back, I anticipate even less time for that. Sorry.

• 6 months later...

Francois -- great work with this toolkit!

Is there any update for the integration of ooCalc?

Unfortunately I haven't.

This was a hobby project at home and I never got time to dig in again and complete at least ooCalc to the level I got ooWriter.

It wouldn't be difficult to do, but I think that I might restart again using a UML Design Software to really take a huge bite at it... and take a slightly better class design. My biggest problem is to keep the "Document" reference that is essentially "by-reference" in the .NET model and I'm trying to port it to the dataflow paradigm. I was tempted to make it a singleton by-reference class, but I'd prefer to leave some latitude for handling multiple documents in parallel... so I still have to put some thoughts into it.

Since you mentioned in the PM that you're looking into integrating it at your company, don't hesitate to ask me specific questions if you have a roadblock in your dealings with the AODL integration for ooCalc. I didn't deal with "Cells" in ooWriter, by Cell is a child class of Content, just as Paragraph and sText for ooWriter. Much of the structure I used for ooWriter is directly portable to ooCalc. You just need to pay attention which .net class you cast to keep the dataflow. Most of the time, I've used the Document and Content classes to make it flexible.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I've installed your addon in LV2011 (RGT 2011) and it works fine in the IDE.

But when creating an executable using the RGT (only for Microsoft Word) the application throws an error 2208 and doesn't execute on a machine without the full development system.

Can anybody confirm this?

Regards,

Bastian

Hi Bastian,

just to make sure... this add-on doesn't give you access to Word and Excel reports without a purchased license from NI. It simply adds OpenOffice Writer to the list of choices in the Report Generation Palette.

If you have a valid RGT for Word license and my add-on doesn't work in an executable, then it's something I'll investigate.

There shouldn't be any links between the RGT for Word/Excel sold by NI and this piece of code, but the package does replace a single VI to select the right class (the one including ooWriter in the Enum). It has been done in LV2009, so perhaps something has changed in LV2011.

Did you ever try the addon in an executable with LV2009 or 2010? (Is this a new issue with 2011?)

• 4 years later...

post-10515-0-39070800-1460736356.png

- Updated the repo with package build spec

- Removed the dependencies on OpenG methods (package is now dependency-free)

- Added an explicit constructor for ooWriter (no more pre-install/post-install to backup the NIreport factory)

- New palette for ooDocuments (vi.lib/OpenOffice RGT addon)

- version 0.2.0 (beta)

- still no ooCalc.

- released the LabVIEW library under BSD (instead of LGPL). LGPL is only the AODL libraries part of the package.

Edited by Francois Normandin
  • Like 1