RTE license restrictions

Yeah, that makes sense. But I seem to remember a very long time ago getting a quote from NI for a pack of 50

RTE's. I guess only old timers like me can remember such antiquated practices.

Yup. It used to be 50 about 15 years ago (we moaned like buggery!). There is no restriction now, however.

• Like 1

Yup. It used to be 50 about 15 years ago (we moaned like buggery!). There is no restriction now, however.

See this confuses me a bit. I haven't been using LabVIEW for 15 years so I don't know how it worked back then, but how could they restrict that? Wasn't 15 years ago version 5.x or so? Didn't 5.x EXE's build in the RTE into the EXE so no installer was needed on Windows machines, you just run the EXE on any PC?

I started using LabVIEW around version 6 and early 7 and I don't ever remember having to buy any RTE licenses. So for as long as I can remember LabVIEW has always had a free way to run EXEs.

See this confuses me a bit. I haven't been using LabVIEW for 15 years so I don't know how it worked back then, but how could they restrict that? Wasn't 15 years ago version 5.x or so? Didn't 5.x EXE's build in the RTE into the EXE so no installer was needed on Windows machines, you just run the EXE on any PC?

I started using LabVIEW around version 6 and early 7 and I don't ever remember having to buy any RTE licenses. So for as long as I can remember LabVIEW has always had a free way to run EXEs.

They didn't restrict it. It was a condition in the licencing.

I don't remember the Desktop RTE having a restriction.

I do remember the Real-Time RTE having a restriction unless it ran on NI hardware, something to do with the RT OS mostly I believe.

I believe that LabVIEW Real-Time still requires a Deployment License for Real-Time Targets. I think the NI RT Controllers include this during purchase if you choose the RT OS Options.

• 4 weeks later...