Is there a guide to installing OpenG without using VI Package Manager?

So I'm aware that OpenG can be downloaded directly from Sourceforge. However, it's not obvious how to actually install it. I would use VI Package Manager, but it won't run on my computer and just crashes. I've had this problem since version 2011. So what I'm asking is has anyone made a guide to install OpenG manually?

If you are having problems installing VIPM you may want to contact JKI or post on their forums here.

As for alternative ways to install package files.  The packages them selves are just zips, so you can extract the file and see the contents.  The spec file defines things about the package, and the files and groups.  Using this information you can manually install the files by placing them in the right locations.  It wouldn't be too much trouble to make a VI that does this.

HOWEVER, this will go against what JKI has been trying to do with VIPM having configuration management.  Lets say you manually install a bunch of packages.  You have no way of knowing what conflicts, or limitations exist and you may end up with code that is broken, or missing components.  You also don't know what versions of what packages you have already manually installed, and you may overwrite VIs with newer, or older versions of them selves.  VIPM helps to know the dependencies, and links requires, as well as the limitations, and environments that those VIs can be used in.

If you are having problems installing VIPM you may want to contact JKI or post on their forums here.

As for alternative ways to install package files.  The packages them selves are just zips, so you can extract the file and see the contents.  The spec file defines things about the package, and the files and groups.  Using this information you can manually install the files by placing them in the right locations.  It wouldn't be too much trouble to make a VI that does this.

HOWEVER, this will go against what JKI has been trying to do with VIPM having configuration management.  Lets say you manually install a bunch of packages.  You have no way of knowing what conflicts, or limitations exist and you may end up with code that is broken, or missing components.  You also don't know what versions of what packages you have already manually installed, and you may overwrite VIs with newer, or older versions of them selves.  VIPM helps to know the dependencies, and links requires, as well as the limitations, and environments that those VIs can be used in.

Well I downloaded a bunch of package files on another computer, but I can't seem to find where VIPM stores its library. Where does it put the packages it downloads?

Minor correction

On my Win7 machine it is:  c:UsersAll UsersJKIVIPMdatabases

I think that is what Ton meant, he just didn't use shell script variable names. :D

And it is probably very much Windows AND VIPM version dependent. Mine is for instance in C:AppDataJKIVIPMdatabases (Windows 7) which would be equivalent to %COMMONAPPDATA%JKIVIPMdatabases.

C:UsersAll Users actually shouldn't exist on a clean Windows 7 install, as that is normally called C:UsersPublic instead, but maybe you upgraded Windows 7 from a Windows XP installation?

• 6 months later...
quite often I have to copy the OpenG libs (or other libs) onto a PC without net access.

The bodgy way (they works fine though) is just copy various directories from user.lib and vi.lib directly to the other machine. If done incorrectly, in other words if you don't copy the right files/directories,  you may end up with missing palettes. 

Well when I do get VIPM working, I'd still like to have the packages kept track of properly. Though I guess I could always just install them and have it overwrite the files. Besides what if I want to install something I didn't have installed in LabVIEW 2012?

• 3 weeks later...