d_laub

Variant Config: format timestamps in human readable form

Currently, saving a date/timestamp to a config file saves it like this:

Time Stamp = "00000000ÍAm#ß~p0000000000"

I'd much prefer they be formatted like:

Time Stamp = "2013-02-13T16:17:39.873Z"

I realize this may run into some localization issues, but I'm fine with defaulting to the ISO 8601 format (or, you could change the "float number format" terminal to a generic "format string" input, and have float/time format strings line-delimited).  The code to do so already exists in "Format Variant Into String", it checks if a waveform is a datestamp type before writing.  This just needs to be ported over to the "Write key (variant)" VI (and correspondingly, to the read VI as well). 

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone has ever saved Timestamps needing better than millisecond precision in a config file.  That would be the potential issue with this suggestion.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Bas de Jong
      Hello, I'm trying to display an animated GIF on the front panel. This gif should be loaded programmatically based on some user event. My google search led me to use the OpenG Read GIF File (Animated)__ogtk.vi file. However, loading a GIF is extremely slow. It takes almost 20 seconds to execute the vi when I load the attached GIF (I found randomly on the internet). Is this normal? And if so, is there a way to load a gif faster? Because I need to load several and I cannot afford to load maybe 2 minutes only for the gifs.

• By Taylorh140
      So sometimes when you do protocol decoding it is convenient to use a variant to store decoded data. For example you might have a 2 bit enumeration that is decoded like this:
      00 -> Good
      01 -> Bad
      10 -> Ugly
      11 -> Catastrophic
      If you cast the value to an enumeration that contains these values before hand you can see them on the variant control. If you use a Ring you will only see a value. 
      I know that the LV flatten to string contains the enumeration strings but the encoding is a bit of a mystery, although it looks like the openg palette has figured some of it out to some degree. But to me it doesn't look like there is any reason i couldn't generate an enum to use inside the scope of a variant. Has anyone done this, or know how to generate the string for this purpose. 

• By Taylorh140
      After working on the set cluster element by name xnode, it made me realize i could use the same concept to convert a variant array to a cluster. The technique is actually pretty simple, the xnode generates a case structure for each element in a cluster in cluster order, wherein a bundle by name is used to set the value and an unbundle by name is used to get the type, a variant to data is used to convert the data. This has some benefits over some methods, you are not limited to 255 elements, although that is not usually the case some of us are paranoid that clusterosaurus giganticous will be larger than expected. It also has a draw back  that is that when converting from a variant array all the elements must have unique, non-blank names, and this is usually the case. 

I think this technique (though very brute-force) might be useful for some other things let me know what you guys think.

VariantArrayToCluster.zip
    • By neunited
      Dear All, 
      I'm new to this forum and I'm really glad I became a member.
      I am currently in the phase of designing a simple program which can control all the DAQmx channels using a configuration file (.ini) which is capable of change voltage range during mid-simulation. 
      At the moment my .ini file reads as follows: 
      [AO Channel 1] 
      Name = T2
      Physical Channel = cDAQ1Mod1/ao0
      Max Value = 10 
      Min Value = 0 
      [AO Channel 2] 
      Name = T3
      Physical Channel = cDAQ1Mod1/ao1
      Max Value = 10 
      Min Value = 0 
      [AO Channel 1] 
      Name = T2
      Physical Channel = cDAQ1Mod1/ao0
      Max Value = 5 
      Min Value = 0 
      [AO Channel 2] 
      Name = T3
      Physical Channel = cDAQ1Mod1/ao1
      Max Value = 10 
      Min Value = 0 
      My LabVIEW VI for the .ini script  is attached. I'm relatively new to using configuration file functions and I don't really understand where "Get Key Names" section should be wired to. I have placed a constant on it for now which reads the "AO Channel 1" but how can I get it to read all the channels in the .ini file.
      I am welcome to all suggestions here, I just want to make sure that I don't cause any problems to any of the channels and use best practice methods. All constructive criticism welcome!
      Thank you. 

Read Configuration (INI) File (1).vi
    • By fennectp
      Hi all,

I've got a customer that wants to zip/unzip files on their cRIO-9035, so I had them playing with the OpenG Zip tools to see if it would fit their needs. Although they've found that they can zip files on their cRIO just fine, they find that they get disconnected from their RT target and the shell shows the following error message:
      LabVIEW caught a fatal signal 15.0 - Recieved SIGSEGV Reason: address not mapped to object Attempt to reference address: 0x0x10000000 stdin: is not a tty  
      The zip file they're testing with includes two simple .txt files with short strings in them ("booya" and "booya2"). This file unzips just fine on the host PC with the "ZLIB Extract All Files To Dir" VI, but when copied over to the cRIO and unzipped via the same VI, it only unzips the first text file and the resulting file doesn't have any text in it.
      I've attached a copy of the project and the zip file I used to reproduce this behavior using a cRIO-9033 that I had on hand. (The only thing I can't provide is the cRIO >_<)
      Could anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong? Any suggestions as to what other workarounds I could take to zip/unzip files on a LinuxRT target would also be very much appreciated!

Regards,

Tamon
      Unzip on cRIO-9033.zip

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.