LabVIEW Search paths

Wim

Hi,

I want to adjust the search paths in LabVIEW and i was wondering if I can add an entry to search the 'current project path' including subdirs.

(a bit like teststand, current sequence path and subdirs)

Reason:

I have a few testsystems which run a teststand operator interface and a source distribution of my drivers (vi.lib, instr.lib and user.lib included)

However... we have one system with teststand and labview development, for debug and test.

If I build a project (teststand deployment) of my drivers, I get them in 1 folder structure. A projectfile with ALL subvi's needed vi.lib, instr.lib and user.lib included.... works on the testsytems BUT

when I open this project in the dev env... the project has conflicts on Xnode support, picture to pixmap, Imagedata.ctl, ....

I think that adding a search path in LabVIEW to search 'Current ProjectDir' including subdirs will solve my problem but I don't know the syntax for  'current project dir'  

don't even know if this is possible.

Thanks for your reply.

Wim

Edited by Wim

Sure you can add or change LabVIEW search paths.  Open LabVIEW and go to Tools >> Options >> Paths, be sure and uncheck Use Default.

I've never had to really change this because it would search for missing VIs relative to where they used to be so as long as the file structure was duplicated it worked fine.

@Hooovahh   I know where to adjust, just don't know how to add 'Current Project File directory' 

But thanks for your reply ;-)

Edited by Wim

@Hooovahh   I know where to adjust, just don't know how to add 'Current Project File directory' 

Yeah sorry.  I read your post several times and couldn't tell if you knew of the function or not.  I know of no way to set this path to the current project.  There are likely ways to do this programatically.  I assume this information is just stored in the LabVIEW.ini.  That INI could be updated.  Not sure if it can be done on opening a project, but if it can I suspect that the Project Provider Framework could do it.

Yeah sorry.  I read your post several times and couldn't tell if you knew of the function or not.  I know of no way to set this path to the current project.  There are likely ways to do this programatically.  I assume this information is just stored in the LabVIEW.ini.  That INI could be updated.  Not sure if it can be done on opening a project, but if it can I suspect that the Project Provider Framework could do it.

Just had an idea...

in older versions of labview you could copy LabVIEW.exe and LabVIEW.ini and rename them.

Both could boot LabVIEW with different settings.

If this still works, I can remove the search paths to user.lib, vi.lib and instr.lib in the original LabVIEW.ini and try to load the build project with this one.

With the other LabVIEW.exe and other settings I should be able the use the default search directories.

I'm gonna give that a try on monday before trying the project provider framework.

Wim

I don't have the link, but I remember someone else telling me that you can choose the INI file to use, in a command line switch.  This forces LabVIEW.exe to use a different INI file somewhere else on disk.  You could have a batch file that launches LabVIEW.exe with an alternate INI this way too.  I've never tried this so sorry if this is incorrect information.

I don't have the link, but I remember someone else telling me that you can choose the INI file to use, in a command line switch.  This forces LabVIEW.exe to use a different INI file somewhere else on disk.  You could have a batch file that launches LabVIEW.exe with an alternate INI this way too.  I've never tried this so sorry if this is incorrect information.

http://www.labviewwiki.org/Custom_LabVIEW_configuration_file

:-(

A quick test with changing the search paths did not solve my project conflicts ...

So... going further with specific INI files will not solve my issue.

Thanks for your support.