Object Oriented Programming for DAQ and Instruments

Hi,

Recently I have been trying to develop a set of classes for data aquisition (as the encapsulation makes other tasks easier) however I keep running into several issues (described below). I was wondering what you guys did for your OO DAQ systems. I've found a few presentations lying around on the net but their implementations do not seem to work when using DAQmx based measurements.

I am trying to measure the inputs from two seperate instruments: (1) Torque Sensor (2) Encoder. Sometimes these instruments might  be using a DAQmx analog input and other times a .DLL.

My original thought was that I would have a parent class called Measurement with several functions (Initalize, Configure, Read Data, Close) that would be over-riden by its children Analog Input (DAQmx) and Digital Input (Seperate .DLL). There then would be (for example) an Analog Input object created called position and a digital Input object called torque. This seemed to look nice on paper, however it didnt work as my DAQs tasks need to be combined (you cant have several tasks on a single device.)

As this didnt work, I approached it with a different setup. This time I had a parent class called Instrument that has two children Torque Sensor and Encoder. Again, things get tricky, as sometimes I might want to use an analog DAQmx task for both the Torque Sensor and Encoder. 

What is your typical OOP class structure like for DAQ?

Thanks!

Edited by df_rob