Did someone break the project explorer?

X___

I am using LabVIEW 2019 SP1 in Windows.

I am trying to reorganize dependent VIs into virtual folders in a project. I have noticed that it is now impossible for me to drag an object in a non visible part of the project. It used to be an exercise in frustration management in the past (with a single pixel-wide sweet spot triggering a painfully slow scrolling of the project explorer objects' list) but it seems to have been solved brilliantly by completely removing the ability to drag and drop objects in non visible parts of the project...

To clarify what I mean, here is a dummy project with empty VIs:

690989887_ProjectExplorerOverview.png.e8c7fe9359189aa88ba77811e0568b24.png

If I now reduce the size of the window such as to hide the virtual folder and show the object I want to move into it:

315200475_ProjectExplorerProblem.png.c4f48aaefe2091ef16be3cc0a0d75a2e.png

I can't trigger the window to scroll anymore (all I get is the "forbidden" icon instead of the mouse cursor, which tells me I am trying to do something that is forbidden: it is not. I can drag the object in the virtual folder if it is visible).

Of course in this dummy example, I could expand the window to reveal the VF. But the point is that in typical situations, I have a (large) number of dependent VIs (or other objects) I want to reorganize in virtual folders, and my screen is not large enough to show both VF and objects.

Now a workaround is to Add... (contextual dialog) each file into the virtual folder by browsing the File Explorer, but this defeats the purpose of the Project Explorer, which "neatly" groups files located in many different places into a single flat list.

Now that I think of it, it might all be a clever plan to force us to abandon LV GC to move on to NXG... although I suspect it might not be easier to do there or completely different and counterintuitive.

PS: I am using a VM in Parallels Desktop, so it could very well be a Parallels bug, but I wanted to check with the community whether I am missing something obvious.

Confirmed in LV2019 64-bit and LV2020 32-bit running on Windows.

Urgh this is horrible 😞   but I am actually kinda surprised I missed this as I am finishing up quite a large 2019 project and moving stuff around in the project is something I do quite regularly for housekeeping.

As you said, it was difficult before but possible. I am hoping this is just a bug and not an added "feature" that the "data" told NI that customers wanted.

My latest weird project bug with LV2020 is when I close the project it does not automatically close any windows I had open 🤬

Edited by Neil Pate
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Neil Pate said:

My latest weird project bug with LV2020 is when I close the project it does not automatically close any windows I had open 🤬

I was getting this in LV2018. I get something similar still in LV2020, as well as projects that don't seem to leave memory even after they are all closed out to the main LV screen. They open back up instantly.

Just now, Jordan Kuehn said:

I was getting this in LV2018. I get something similar still in LV2020, as well as projects that don't seem to leave memory even after they are all closed out to the main LV screen. They open back up instantly.

Yes I am seeing that too. The project window opens suspiciously fast after I have closed it in my LV2020 project.

More weirdness here. When I close a project it offers the option to defer and now only prompts me to save when I actually close the Getting Started Window. What I normally want is just to close the Project immediately and ignore any changes (you know, like every other piece of software on the planet).

NI is this really a new "feature"?

Edited by Neil Pate
22 hours ago, X___ said:

I suggest you split the thread, as it may become confusing if everyone refers to a different bug. Mine has been submitted and I will report the CAR when I get one.

Sorry you are right. Bug report submitted.

Edited by Neil Pate
  • 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, Neil Pate said:

Would love to, but I cannot find it in my email 😞

Do you know if my CARs are listed somewhere on my ni.com profile?

If you go to NI.com/support then click "Manage your active service requests" you should see all the times you contacted NI along with the case number and issue details.  Hopefully the CAR or bug number is in there.  It is a bit slow at loading things.

2 hours ago, hooovahh said:

If you go to NI.com/support then click "Manage your active service requests" you should see all the times you contacted NI along with the case number and issue details.  Hopefully the CAR or bug number is in there.  It is a bit slow at loading things.

Thank you, I did find the service request I opened.

Turns out I was mistaken and it never got escalated to a CAR. Sorry @joerghampel

For what it is worth, on a different PC I have not seen the same problem, so I think it might just be down to a bad install of LabVIEW. Super annoying though!

33 minutes ago, Neil Pate said:

For what it is worth, on a different PC I have not seen the same problem, so I think it might just be down to a bad install of LabVIEW. Super annoying though!

I'm not so sure, I saw this on multiple machines. And it still behaves this way in 20.0.1 on the one machine I have access to.

Edit: This is for the original issue with dragging within the project.