Special LabVIEW version wish

If only we could get real english fish & chips here in the states ...

Not that fish & chips is considered top notch culinarian in the rest of Europe :P

And the few times I've been to England and tried it anyhow to test if it was still

true, I never was very much impressed by it. To soft and tangy chips!

I mean it is usually eatable but not something I would make a trip for. ;)

For that I would need something lake Clam Chowder and of course in San Francisco :D

Or should that be some delicius fish meal in Cairns? Of course the French and Italian

cuisine is never to be forgotten and nice tasty spare rips in Austin are also great.

Rolf Kalbermatter

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I've had it a couple of times....

NB: The Fosters served here in the US (brewed in Canada?) is a very different brew than that which is served in Australia. I had a Foster's a couple of months ago at a party and didn't mind the taste at all, but I certainly wouldn't classify the Foster's that you can get in Australia as drinkable (I've often heard it referred to as 'recycled' beer: fill a trough with real beer, have a horse drink it and put a bucket under the horse = Foster's :P ) Beer in Australia is localized to states - there's no "Australian for Beer", and it's every Australian's right, nay duty, to defend their states' beer in a pub brawl :)

If only we could get real english fish & chips here in the states ...

That's one of the great things about Oz being part of the Commonwealth - there are "English-style" fish 'n' chips shops everywhere (they also do great hamburgers and meat pies - how I miss the humble meat pie!) If you ever get the chance to tuck into English-style fish 'n' chips, you're in for a treat - the chips are traditionally server with lashings of white vinegar (sounds odd, but it's bloody delicious!) Bugger! Now my mouth's watering... :(

Or should that be some delicius fish meal in Cairns?

:D I've never been that far up on the East coast, but the seafood back home is amazing (and cheap). There's nothing like jumping on your bike (mine was a Honda CA-750 cruiser - that's another thing I miss), crusie along the beach road, pull up at a fish 'n' chips shop and grab a handfull of king prawns (shrimp), a Balmain Bug, a crusty bread stick and a great beer...

meat_pie.jpgbalmain_bug.jpgproduct_tooheysold.jpg2003_11_toms_2002_honda_750_ace.jpg

Hmm... it seems that no matter what topic we started originally, people have always a way to end it up with beers, delicious food. :) Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed reading this, and I'm not totally against alcohol for the sake of healthy heart. :) (suggestion to Admin: can we put a flag to warn people about Alcohol or Non-Alcohol topic? :) LabVIEW programmers could be under 17, couldn't they?). Great food is always good, no matter how great things we do (like LabVIEW programming :) ), we can't get rid of eating, can we?

Happy Easter!

Figuring now where to go :(

:D I've never been that far up on the East coast, but the seafood back home is amazing (and cheap). There's nothing like jumping on your bike (mine was a Honda CA-750 cruiser - that's another thing I miss), crusie along the beach road, pull up at a fish 'n' chips shop and grab a handfull of king prawns (shrimp), a Balmain Bug, a crusty bread stick and a great beer...

I can see we're gonna have a great time in Austin this year with you on board. I have to take you to the Gingerman... I remember how to get there but I never remember much of anything after that.

Be careful, Chris. This is what happens after an evening of drinking with Mike at The Gingerman.

That's hillarious - I wonder if "gingerman" was thinking of that photo when he wrote that entry :D

I remember my first trip to NI-Week (subsequently my first trip to the States) - I was introduced to Shiner Bock at the Aliiance party (Maggie Mays if I remember correctly). I had my CLD exam the next day, so about half way through the night I switched from Bock to a light beer. That was my mistake: in Australia, "light" means less (usually half) alcohol, whereas the US deems it to mean less calories. Sure enough, the next day I not only cancelled my CLD, I missed half a day of the conference. That said, I did feel quite buff...

I remember my first trip to NI-Week (subsequently my first trip to the States) - I was introduced to Shiner Bock at the Aliiance party (Maggie Mays if I remember correctly). I had my CLD exam the next day, so about half way through the night I switched from Bock to a light beer. That was my mistake: in Australia, "light" means less (usually half) alcohol, whereas the US deems it to mean less calories. Sure enough, the next day I not only cancelled my CLD, I missed half a day of the conference. That said, I did feel quite buff...
Well, I DID keep Norm up with some strange noises I was making in the bathroom... and the next morning I almost sliced Jim's head off because he was actually trying to have a conversation with me, telling me I was in the wrong lineup or something :angry: . Now you tell me, who can think first thing in the morning with a hangover! Please people...
That's hillarious - I wonder if "gingerman" was thinking of that photo when he wrote that entry :D

That reminds me of a time where I spent the whole day curled up on a couch in the convention center. Somehow, the night before, I switched from drinking beer to long island iced tea... bad idea.

BTW, a wise man once shared this secret with me: if you alternate between beer and water (1-for-1) you can last all night and wake up refreshed in the morning.

BTW, a wise man once shared this secret with me: if you alternate between beer and water (1-for-1) you can last all night and wake up refreshed in the morning.

Yeah - but then you've got to pee every 15 minutes :( Sounds like he worked for a water company :)

Personally, a Berocca before you drink a tall glass of water after you drink, and try to stick to the same class of beverage in one sitting (eg: start with beer, end with beer. start with whisky, end with whisky. start with rum, end with karaoke...)

Not that fish & chips is considered top notch culinarian in the rest of Europe :P

And the few times I've been to England and tried it anyhow to test if it was still

true, I never was very much impressed by it. To soft and tangy chips!

I mean it is usually eatable but not something I would make a trip for. ;)

I wouldn't make a trip there just for that either, but I liked it. Not the "top notch..." as you say, but I have been blessed with a taste and sense of manners that feels very comfortable from tux tails and champagne to "roll your sleeves up shrimp boil" in Cajun country (do you know what "newspaper elbow is?) and across that broad culinary spectrum the fish & chips carried a fond memory. Perhaps it was because I was a lot younger then (exactly half the age I am now) and because the chips at the pubs in Dunoon on the Firth of Clyde seemed to serve the chips fairly crunchy. Of course the salt & local brew malt vinegar made the meal. Or perhaps the Strongbow cider just covered it all in a pleasant hazy memory.

Download File:post-29-1145195167.llb

In an attempt to get this thread back on theme again...

Attached is a llb that works with teh LV 3d PICTURE control toolkit to develop that image I posted earlier.

Copy of Simple 3D Object5 will give you a spiral in 3-space.

post-29-1145195281.jpg?width=400

"Copy of Simple 3D Object6" will give you the distribution of cubes.

post-29-1145195368.jpg?width=400

I found the axis very helpful in figuring out what I was doing. The rest is just offered as fodder for doing 3d rederings of code.

Ben

Yes the code is a mess. That is how my experimental code looks when when I am done playing. :P

So I walked away from my previous posting thinking "3d diagrams are a waste of time. LabVIEW already keeps track of layers of objects in a diagram." But then I thought "What about Cases structures, Stacked sequences and shift registers?"

I can see value in being able to see every case of a case structure.

I coudl envision tunnels feeding cases as bus bars connecting the "planes" of the events.

Sequence locals could almost make senses!

A 3d diagram may be a better idea than I first thought.

Ben

I like the idea of using data gloves. You touch a palette and it slides open revealing a drawer of cubes of subVIs/nodes. You grab one and position it in 3D space. If close enough and snapping is turned on it clicks into place (with an audible sound) and briefly highlights. You touch another 3D button/control and a wire sprouts from the tip of your finger. You touch a port terminal on the new VI and then another terminal on a "shift tunnel" of a CASE cube.

This could make creation of VIs/apps even faster than now. Like putting together tinker toys.

I like the idea of using data gloves.

That does sound pretty neat. Personally, I'd rather not see an actual 3-D development environment just yet - I'd rather the 2-D style interface as seen in the Minority Report - you can grab a palette, open it up, move it somewhere else on your desktop, etc. Maybe even just have an "active" area - only the code in there is actually run when you hit run - more of a physical desktop paradigm where your tools, palettes and code snippets are just sitting on your desktop...

For those unfamiliar with the Minority Report, you can see the interface we're talking about here (click on scrubbing the image)

Data gloves idea sounds pretty good. We can also walk into the 3D scene to do the wiring, can we? So programming LabVIEW needs a Camera and a green background behind you :)

Easier if we had a body suit, "body glove". But with data gloves we would already see the gloved hands in the 3D field.

I did like the Minority Report interface. I thought that Tom Cruise was going a bit fast in some places, but later came to the conclusion that lots of people would will use such an interface that fast once it becomes available.

Ben, thanks for the 3D code. Interesting toy.

Watch those three dimensional arrays of doubles, they can get heavy :P

That's actually doable - several aircraft simulators use pressure suits to trick the body into feeling Gs, so why not slip into a pressure suit to code in G? The more items in the array, the heavier it gets :D

this demo on Augmented Reality...

Now that's very very cool!

At least I could practice alternative dance and get my work done.

I thought this demo on Augmented Reality was very cool, imagine having your team in the same space and being able to see them and work on the 3D Code together.

Very interesting demo. This is along the lines of what I was thinking, only much more complex. I think it would be easier to do the coding if the person was not in the scene. It would also take a lot less computing resources. I agree that letting the person see themselves is "neat" and "gee whiz" but I was thinking of more of a serious coding tool improvement. I can see a VI hierarchy really looking like a tree, with zooming, color coding of branches. I can also see some really bad code, so the style guides would need some rework and a lot of effort to stay with good style.