Generic file I/O error

Hello,

We have labview 7.1 and 8.2 installed on a network share.

With labview7.1 (or any other programm installed on this network share) we have no trouble at all, but when we work with lv8 we get a lot of "Generic file I/O error" messages when we want to save (a lot of) vi's to the network.

IT also told me there is no problem with the network.

After a few retry's most of the time saving does work.

Is there anyone who has the same problem when using labviw8(.2)?

post-6839-1168629133.gif?width=400

Hello,

We have labview 7.1 and 8.2 installed on a network share.

With labview7.1 (or any other programm installed on this network share) we have no trouble at all, but when we work with lv8 we get a lot of "Generic file I/O error" messages when we want to save (a lot of) vi's to the network.

IT also told me there is no problem with the network.

After a few retry's most of the time saving does work.

Is there anyone who has the same problem when using labviw8(.2)?

I saw this issue when I first upgraded to LabVIEW 8.2, but at the same time our network drives were regularly having problems so I assumed it was related to that, even though LabVIEW 7.1 never complained. Since then our IT staff has apparently fixed something related to the network drives and I no longer see the error, but I have no idea what changed. Sorry I can't be of much help other than to tell you that you're not the only one who's seen the problem. If I get an opportunity I'll ask our IT staff what they did.

Hi

I am facing this error maybe 100 time a day (no kiddinig !!!) and afer 10 mails to NI I learned to live with it... when it happens, I do "save as" > "Rename" and let the sme location and rewrite...

If anybody can give a solution to this issue, I'll be ready to offer 10 pints of beers (or any other beverage) !

Consider this as an open coding challenge !

I'm seeing this problem too, also with a network drive copy. I can't replicate, but at least now I know that I should change the program to keep trying the copy when it gets an error 6. I had chalked it up to a problem with the network, but it may be a problem with LV.

For what its worth I also ran across this oh so descriptive error here.

Hi

I am facing this error maybe 100 time a day (no kiddinig !!!) and afer 10 mails to NI I learned to live with it... when it happens, I do "save as" > "Rename" and let the sme location and rewrite...

If anybody can give a solution to this issue, I'll be ready to offer 10 pints of beers (or any other beverage) !

I throw in another 10 pints of "Hoegaarden" beer for a solution (also for the IT guys!), so NI do something about it!

Changing a wire or a control (=forcing a recompile!) sometimes helps, but what is causing this problem?

• 2 weeks later...
I saw this issue when I first upgraded to LabVIEW 8.2, but at the same time our network drives were regularly having problems so I assumed it was related to that, even though LabVIEW 7.1 never complained. Since then our IT staff has apparently fixed something related to the network drives and I no longer see the error, but I have no idea what changed. Sorry I can't be of much help other than to tell you that you're not the only one who's seen the problem. If I get an opportunity I'll ask our IT staff what they did.

Any news from IT ????

Hi

I am facing this error maybe 100 time a day (no kiddinig !!!) and afer 10 mails to NI I learned to live with it... when it happens, I do "save as" > "Rename" and let the sme location and rewrite..

I'm seeing it too although not quite as often. This never happened before rev 8.2. The "Save as" > "Rename" trick only works about half the time for me. Sometimes making a change will fix. Sometimes just waiting awhile will fix it. Sorry I don't have any clever fixes to offer. Actually I guess I have nothing to offer.

George

Could it be a timeout error, maybe due to network traffic, that LV can't get access to the file in a given time so it flags an error?

Just a thought.

I noticed that I never get it when working on VIs that are on my local drive but tt really doesn't look like a timeout error.

When I open a VI, if I move a wire and save, I SOMETIMES get the generic file I/O error, and if I cancel the save and do other changes to my VI and try to save it again it can work without error... I haven't been able to find a way to reproduce the error without any doubt but on the other hand I get the error VERY often (at least 50 times a day !).

Does anyone know if NI has an "official position" about this error ??

Any news from IT ????

Here's what IT tells me they changed:

"Before you were going to \\server03\username$ now you are going to \\server04\users\username where it's not a security issue more so a UNC Path.

We were using: Windows Storage Server 2003 and now we are on Windows Storage Server 2003 R2"

"Before you were going to \\server03\username$ now you are going to \\server04\users\username where it's not a security issue more so a UNC Path.

We were using: Windows Storage Server 2003 and now we are on Windows Storage Server 2003 R2"

Hi,

have you tried to copy the files manually in explorer?

The reason I ask, is that we are having a lot of problems to copy files over a VPN network.

The files are not corrupt, as I can copy them when I'm in the office, but as soon as I connect through VPN some of the files are impossible to copy.

The error we get in expolorer varies, e.g.

• "Path is to deep"
  • "Network address no longer exist"

I found some links, that suggested that changing some of the network settings should resolve the issue.

http://codebetter.com/blogs/sahil.malik/co...px?PostID=23742

http://forums.enterpriseitplanet.com/printthread.php?t=2109

Sorry to say, it didn't resolve my problem with VPN, hopefully it can solve yours.

/J

And now all your troubles are over :worship: , or do you still have problems, but less often :wacko: ?

And now all your troubles are over :worship: , or do you still have problems, but less often :wacko: ?

I no longer have this problem. I'm not certain if the fix was the change in the network drive or something else, as I don't remember exactly when I stopped seeing the error.

• 5 weeks later...

QUOTE(ned @ Jan 25 2007, 01:44 PM)

I no longer have this problem. I'm not certain if the fix was the change in the network drive or something else, as I don't remember exactly when I stopped seeing the error.

I just started suffering from this problem again :( . As far as I know our IT department didn't change anything, but I did just install the FPGA toolkit and RIO module. Do you use these toolkits? I wonder if there's a connection.

• 1 year later...

I looked this up here and on the DS but have not found a solution. I keep getting a "Generic file I/O error. Cannot save VI 'xyz.VI'" From what I could glean it's network related and has been around since at least v8.0. I can go days without getting it, then one or two days out of a week I'll get it over 100 times. :headbang: "Save as" something else is out of the question. And copying everything from the network drive to the local drive is out of the question as well. Is there a patch somewhere to fix this? It's really annoying.

QUOTE (crelf @ Aug 29 2008, 01:32 PM)

What version of LabVIEW are you using? Can you post a VI that you're having this issue on?

Pick one. Every one I've worked on today. And it just so happens it's not doing it anymore. :o Everyone is leaving early for the weekend so it has to be related to the office network somehow. I'll see if I can duplicate it again ... but I ain't stickin' around either. Not even for LAVA. :rolleyes:

QUOTE (Antoine Châlons @ Aug 31 2008, 11:16 AM)

Hi there,

There is a long http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&thread.id=202946' target="_blank">thread on NI forum about that very anoying issue.

The issue is even worse on LV 8.5 than in 8.x but fortunately it is fixed in 8.5.1. I know no other solution than upgrading.

By the way, if you "save as", and don't change the name, it will ask you if you want to overwrite, say "yes", and most of the time it saves the VI succesfully ; weird..

Hope this helps

I tried that. Didn't work. :angry: This issue is like being nibbled to death by a duck. :)

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Sep 2 2008, 10:38 PM)

I tried that. Didn't work. :angry:

I'm sorry it doesn't help... I know how annoying this issue is...

Apart from upgrading LabVIEW and working on a USB external hard drive and copying twice a day to the network drive until you can upgrade. I do understand it's a workaround you might not like but that's what I did during 3 month to get ride of the the ducks ;)

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Sep 3 2008, 11:02 AM)

That's probably what I'll end up doing. It was fine this morning, but just before I started to build my application I start getting the error again. Argggggghhhh!!!!

Re: your above post -- do you mean that you upgraded to 8.5.1 and that didn't make any difference?