Tips for wannabe computer geeks like me

torekp

Today I went looking for a free/cheap backup utility. I found synchredible, which works, and has some nice features (like being free), but doesn't zip (that would be nice). Anyway, I invite your opinions on this and any other super-useful categories.

For another example, a while back we praised the virtues of SpaceMonger and SequoiaView, which are disk-usage mappers.

So, tell me what else I'm missing; conveniences I never imagined, but soon won't be able to imagine how I lived without!

Total commander is an absolute must have, it is by far the best 'Norton Commander clone'.

Does synchronization, FTP (with wildcards), (un)zip, binary views, multiple file pattern renaming. Together with one of the add-on packs from totalcmd.pl (power pack or ultima prime), list extends dramatically and I can refuse to use explorer! :thumbup:

The program is shareware, but absolutely worth it's money.

Another good program is notepad++, as an XML/text/HTML editor

Ton

Thanks guys! Chris, I almost did write my own Labview backup routine - then slapped myself in the forehead. "There I go again," I said, "reinventing wheels."

QUOTE(Mikkel @ Mar 2 2007, 10:03 AM)

Got any favorites off the list? I don't understand the point some of these things, for example, application launchers. Is there something wrong with the built-in Windows "start" button? Well, I guess it can be kind of klutzy, but... I just have no clue about how useful most of these things are. Which is why I want to hear y'all's rants and raves.

CompareIt! from grigsoft:

http://www.grigsoft.com/wincmp3.htm

This is a spectacular text file comparison tool -- syntax highlighting, easy movement of changes in one file to the other file, and a slew of other features. Download for trial, $29 to buy. And if you don't speak English, the tool is available in many languages.

This is a great tool for C/C++ developers, but has become useful to LV programmers who need to diff LVLibraries, LVClasses, XControls and LVProjects. Not to mention readme.txt and various HTML help files.

I've used this software for years, and talked NI into buying a site license for it -- it's that good.

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Mar 2 2007, 01:09 AM)

I use Total Command and agree -- it's essential. But I've never used either of the add-ons you've suggested and the links are only in Polish. Can you describe some of the benefits/features of the add-ons and/or can you point me to a way to get the info myself in English?

QUOTE(Val Brown @ Mar 2 2007, 05:49 PM)

EDIT: there is an english section

They have a forum with an english section (not that active), the extra options is a configured toolbar with extra buttons (synchronize amongst others), extra plugins (a dir size viewer, some like spacemonger:

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5101

Pre configured favorite places (profile/desktop/my docs/control panel), a lot of new viewers.

Just hit the download button on the link page.

Ton

Lot's of great suggestions in this thread! Thanks!

I've used SyncBack, and agree that it seems to do the job. (More recently, I've changed over to using a Mirra server. DEFINITELY not free, but it has some great features...)

I don't know if anyone mentioned NoteTab yet. It's a nice replacement for Notepad.

My favorite freeware is Firefox and Thunderbird!

I find IrfanView useful for simple image manipulation and viewing.

I've found TightVNC very useful for remote computer control. UltraVNC looks like a great suggestion, though, since it has a 3rd-party add-on for NAT-to-NAT connections. Has anyone tried that part of it?

I've had fun with the free version of Google Sketchup. Pretty quick to learn, and I've even made some useful drawing with it.

Skype! They're back to charging for computer-to-phone connections, but computer-to-computer and chat is free. Saves me a bundle calling home when I'm out of the country.

I use the free version of Avast antivirus. I've heard that it doesn't catch as much as some (though you can also read reviews that say the opposite), but it also doesn't get in my way like McAfee did. So far nothing has gotten through... Any other experience with Avast?