Annual LAVA/OpenG BBQ

crelf

QUOTE(TiT @ May 17 2007, 09:06 AM)

Hi there,

Is there any requirement to be invited at the LAVA/OpenG BBQ or is it just opened to any LAVA member ?

I'd love to come :worship: !

Yes, there will be a LabVIEW CAPTCHA on the sign up form (just kidding).

QUOTE(TiT @ May 18 2007, 02:06 AM)

Is there any requirement to be invited at the LAVA/OpenG BBQ or is it just opened to any LAVA member?

I'll be sending out an invitation to all LAVA and OpenG folks - we do need to know numbers so we can make sure we fit in the resturant, but there'll be room for everyone!

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ May 17 2007, 01:15 PM)

Yeah, I voted for "somewhere else". But after that I realized I didn't have a better suggestion, and seeing as how everyone else is good with Salt Lick, just pretend like my vote was for Salt Lick too.

Salt Lick is great.

• All the BBQ you can eat
  • Bring more beer than you can drink
  • Capacity for HUGE groups in a semi-private setting
  • Room to park the bus.
  • It's a tradition!

:thumbup:

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ May 17 2007, 03:15 PM)

Yeah, I voted for "somewhere else". But after that I realized I didn't have a better suggestion, and seeing as how everyone else is good with Salt Lick, just pretend like my vote was for Salt Lick too.

Hey, at least you got to vote...it says I've already voted, but all I did was view the results without voting. I demand a recount!

Actually, I was also going to pick "somewhere else" since the Salt Lick is in BFE, but I really couldn't think of a venue in Austin that can accomodate such a large party and provide the amount of food that The Salt Lick provides.

Bring on the meat!

-D

QUOTE(Herbert @ May 17 2007, 06:12 PM)

My favourite Austin BBQ joint is "The County Line on the Lake". Should be large enough for really big parties, but they can't score on tradition and BYOB. I also think they don't have all-you-can-eat. So, I'm in on the Salt Lick.

Herbert

County Line on the Lake does provide an all-you-can-eat group deal...at least they did when I went there in Fall of 1998 with about 100 other senior engineering students... :)

-D

QUOTE(Herbert @ May 17 2007, 04:53 PM)

Consider my vote changed :DCounty Line. Map. Menu. :thumbup:

Unless of course the Salt Lick tradition is really important. I joined in January. I wouldn't know.

Herbert

It is a little know fact that the OpenG/LAVA BBQ started at NI Week 2002 when Richard Jennings invited me to join him and a few other people for BBQ at County Line. That was my first experience with Texas BBQ and the birth of a great tradition.

From The Salt Lick's home page:

You've found "The Salt Lick" so named by owner Hisako Roberts and her husband, the late Thurman Roberts, because "a Salt Lick is something where all the animals congregate. There is something good, something essential about it."

Since alpha has deemed that 97.73% of us are at animal level, I think the place is going to be packed.

Sounds like a good time!

QUOTE(yen @ May 18 2007, 06:06 AM)

Isn't the definition of an engineer "someone who doesn't read the instructions"?

I saw the "Null Vote" text, but kinda didn't think about it. This is the only on-line survey I've ever encountered where viewing the results counts as a vote.

I'll make sure to register what the words "Null Vote" actually mean the next time I read them... ;)

-D

I totally understand Darren's quandary - since LV doesn't have NULLs, the concept of a NULL vote doesn't make sense. ;)

While I like the Salt Lick, I wouldn't mind going elsewhere, but I don't have a good alternative (seeing as I haven't lived in Austin for 13 years now). County Line is a good suggestion and is much closer. There should be a third option for "I don't care, I just want to hang out with the cool LAVA people".

Couple years ago, I remembered that the roast beef meat at Salt Lick was pretty good, I ate at least 2 or 3 pieces which was too much usually :shifty: and I enjoyed very much seeing Jim counting the $20s he gathered and Michael said "Finally OpenG get paid off", I had a very good laugh, I was wondering why this photo was not published, it was so fun :laugh:

I am thinking if I will go, we will see.

Irene

QUOTE(Darren @ May 18 2007, 08:00 AM)
This is the only on-line survey I've ever encountered where viewing the results counts as a vote.
The idea behind this is that viewing the results will probably bias your decision thus you give up your right to vote. You can vote then view the results or you can view the results only and not vote.

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ May 17 2007, 09:08 PM)

It is a little know fact that the OpenG/LAVA BBQ started at NI Week 2002 when Richard Jennings invited me to join him and a few other people for BBQ at County Line. That was my first experience with Texas BBQ and the birth of a great tradition.

So... it sounds like County Line *does* have tradition on its side...

I'd back the County Line -- I've been there for a couple large gatherings and it can handle the crowd.

QUOTE(xtaldaz @ May 19 2007, 09:04 AM)

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5930 - that's kinda close :)

QUOTE(Irene_he @ May 19 2007, 02:16 PM)

Couple years ago, I remembered that the roast beef meat at Salt Lick was pretty good, I ate at least 2 or 3 pieces which was too much usually

Hey - I remember you doing that Irene :) Don't worry, we all ate too much brisket that night - if such a thing is possible...

Righto folks - it looks like the mob has spoken: Tuesday night at the Salt Lick!

There's also an NI event that afternoon: NI Community Block (Diagram) Party from 5:00-7:30pm, so, as usual, we can all enjoy a drink at that, and then head off on the bus at around 6ish.

I'll start making the arrangements...

QUOTE(crelf @ May 23 2007, 10:20 AM)

There's also an NI event that afternoon: NI Community Block (Diagram) Party from 5:00-7:30pm, so, as usual, we can all enjoy a drink at that, and then head off on the bus at around 6ish.

What about dinner afterward at 8pm? Salt Lick is open late. (Yeah, I know, there's an 8am keynote, but that's 12 hours away...)

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ May 24 2007, 03:52 AM)

What about dinner afterward at 8pm? Salt Lick is open late. (Yeah, I know, there's an 8am keynote, but that's 12 hours away...)

My concern is that it takes time to corale everyone on to the bus and stop for beer on the way, so the later we leave, the later we arrive (and the less time to party). Even if we do want to arrive at the Salt Lick at 8, we'd need to leave the Convention Center at 7, which means meeting at 6:45pm at the latest, so there's not going to be much difference.