Unavailable

orko

Just an FYI in case anyone tries to reach me via email in the next week. They've really pulled the stupid card now, since I was transitioned over to a new email system last night and taken off of my existing account...and no one bothered to give me the login information. :headbang:

<rant>

I'm about at wits end. Without going into too much detail, my employer has cut off my lines of communication one by one making it almost impossible to do my job efficiently. The group of engineers I work with every day was moved away from here for no good reason, I can't chat online and am blocked from some important technical websites, can't view instructional videos on most sites, and now I'm being forced to a kiosk email system...so I can't send/receive email (when I'm actually able to log on) from my dev box at my desk anymore. Have to timeshare on two computers with the rest of my crew that's left down here in another room.

Where's that jobs link....seriously.

Screw it, I'm keeping the rant tag open for now. :wacko: Anyone want a slightly mistreated CLD in Washington?

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Aug 24 2007, 08:21 AM)

Washington State.

QUOTE(crelf @ Aug 24 2007, 09:08 AM)

Crikey! We never restrict you from such things - in fact, we encourage it!
if you're interested in relocating.

It stuns me beyond belief as well. My prior employer was adament on using the resources that were available to their fullest...so this is a hard pill to swallow (choke on).

Relocating would be an option for the right job, but there's the wife to convince... and she's extremely happy where she's working now (Registered Nurse at a local hospital). Optimally it would be great to get something in the western Washington area to avoid relocation.

Grr...I didn't expect my rant to go right into a job search, but I'm really peeved and talking to the bosses isn't helping (nothing we can do). :angry:

QUOTE(orko @ Aug 24 2007, 07:39 PM)

Grr...I didn't expect my rant to go right into a job search, but I'm really peeved and talking to the bosses isn't helping (nothing we can do). :angry:

IMHO IT department is a service department, supporting you in your job. Providing you with the tools.

Convince your manager that your hours are more expensive than theirs, or find a new job.

Right now I just buy the stuff that I need and find some project to load the costs on, I don't go to IT anymore.

Getting the second most valuable piece of software (Total Commander) took 8 months! :headbang: Filling in just one fax paper

Ton

Who is glad his manager supports him

QUOTE(orko @ Aug 24 2007, 10:39 AM)

I hope something works out for you, even if it means moving elsewhere. Now it seems you should change the thread title to "Available" ;)

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Aug 24 2007, 10:49 AM)

Since my manager is Uncle Sam, there's really only one option there.

QUOTE(dsaunders @ Aug 24 2007, 10:54 AM)

I hope something works out for you, even if it means moving elsewhere. Now it seems you should change the thread title to
"Available"
;)

Now that you folk have talked me down and I've had a little fun (and you've shown your support...thanks!) I can close the tag.

</rant>

QUOTE(orko @ Aug 24 2007, 05:16 PM)

Screw it, I'm keeping the rant tag open for now. :wacko: Anyone want a slightly mistreated CLD in Washington?

hmm, ok, I am a little late, but: if you want to work in Germany, just let me know :)

QUOTE(orko @ Aug 24 2007, 10:16 AM)

Just an FYI in case anyone tries to reach me via email in the next week. They've really pulled the stupid card now, since I was transitioned over to a new email system last night and taken off of my existing account...and no one bothered to give me the login information. :headbang:

I'm not sure why some companies choose to go this route with IT. I suppose if you've got users that manage to take their own (or other's) systems down every couple of days. But developers need access to tools, and the Internet is probably one of the most useful tools we have.

Even back in the days when I was repairing televisions and VCRs, the Internet provided me with not only timely information, but access to a community of other people doing the same kind of work I was. Not to mention easy access to a little distraction when one was needed.

A few years ago when I worked for a much larger corporate outfit, I used to pop a Linux CD into my desktop and tunnel out to my machine at home when I needed to access something the IT decided they had to block. Eventually I busted doing that and had to give in. At my new place I am the IT department. :thumbup:

It's funny that with all the length some companies go to restrict access, that Microsoft itself is still breaking computers. I'm sure a few people heard about the Genuine Advantage Server outage that flagged everyone as a software pirate and "reduced the functionality" of bunch of machines.

Some companies do end up making special concessions for software developers. One I know of keeps them all on a separate network and the IT department has nothing to do with their machines at all. Hopefully your company will realize they're not helping anything with bad policy.

QUOTE(orko @ Aug 24 2007, 05:16 PM)

just strike back and

WRITE LETTERS!

... and of course send them all by official US Postal Service! (even those, which go to your colleagues next door, and your boss!)

:D

• 5 weeks later...

QUOTE(orko @ Aug 24 2007, 08:16 AM)

You may have noticed that I've been a little quiet on the forums as of late. That's because I've been in the middle of interviews and salary negotiations for my new employer! :thumbup:

As of October 15th, I will be working for the http://www.aegisgrp.com/' target="_blank">Aegis Group in Seattle. I am extremely excited about the opportunities that are opening up for me there!!

I look forward to tearing down "The Wall". Or as Ozzy would say, "See you on the other side!"