Spaces and line breaks removed

Michael, recently I've had several occasions where the forums remove spaces after periods and line breaks from my posts, causing them to be quite hard to read.

Editing and fixing it doesn't always work the first time.

Note - I have the HTML formatting off.

Today I tried to add a new message to a topic where I had also posted the most recent message (sometimes I just can't shut up). The forum put my new text into the previous message and removed all of the whitespace from everything. This is similar to what Yen is reporting but there is also the inability to post as a separate message.

QUOTE(jdunham @ Nov 10 2007, 03:30 AM)

Today I tried to add a new message to a topic where I had also posted the most recent message (sometimes I just can't shut up). The forum put my new text into the previous message and removed all of the whitespace from everything. This is similar to what Yen is reporting but there is also the inability to post as a separate message.

There are two issues here:

1. Losing the formatting. I've seen this as well and it seems to be same issue discussed here.
  2. Having two consecutive replies merged into a single one. As far as I know, that is by design.

QUOTE(Yen @ Nov 10 2007, 09:40 AM)

• Having two consecutive replies merged into a single one. As far as I know, that is by design.

That behavior has always confused me a bit, because it doesn't seem entirely consistent. Sometimes (usually) when I post two consecutive replies in a thread they merge, but sometimes they don't. My guess has been that it's a threading issue (i.e. it depends on which post(s) I'm replying to when I make the 2nd post), but the totally informal tests I've done haven't shown me any patterns.

Ok, The merging of posts is normal. It's to prevent multiple consecutive posts by the same author in a short period of time. Actually, it can be used to your advantage if you need to quote multiple posts in the same thread. Just reply to each post and your replies will be concatenated... neat. There is a time limit for merging 60minutes. I'm not changing this.

Now the issue of removing line feeds and spaces, now that's a real issue, it should not happen of course. Any clue to how to make it repeatable? I'll report it when we can narrow it down.

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Nov 10 2007, 02:09 PM)

Now the issue of removing line feeds and spaces, now that's a real issue, it should not happen of course. Any clue to how to make it repeatable? I'll report it when we can narrow it down.

I think this will trigger it:

1. Reply to a post.
  2. Reply again to the same post immediately (so it merges).
  3. Click the "Edit" button under your post to edit it and choose Full Edit (although I think Quick Edit does it, too). When the editor loads the linebreaks in the post you're editing will be gone.

I just tried something like that over in the Testing forum and it removed the linebreaks. I'll try to narrow down exactly what makes it happen, though -- I run into it a lot because I'm a compulsive post editor.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(Justin Goeres @ Nov 10 2007, 10:23 PM)

1. Reply to a post.
  3. Click the "Edit" button under your post to edit it and choose Full Edit (although I think Quick Edit does it, too). When the editor loads the linebreaks in the post you're editing will be gone.

I can confirm this, I found out the same on october 3rd. At that time, only point 1 and 2 were enough to trigger the effect.

Joris

QUOTE(Justin Goeres @ Nov 10 2007, 10:23 PM)

1. Reply to a post.

I can confirm this, I found out the same on october 3rd. At that time, only point 1 and 2 were enough to trigger the effect.

Joris

• 3 months later...

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Mar 11 2008, 03:33 AM)

Just want to note that this issue is now fixed on the forums. If you reply to one of your own posts within 60minutes, it no longer removes line breaks. It now works as expected.

Awesome - that was the one most annoying issue I'd had - thanks Michael!