LAVA - Celebrating 5 years of serving the LabVIEW community

It was back in November of 2002 when I decided to start the LAVA website and forums. Brown? What was I thinking. :rolleyes: . I took LAVA, which started as the first independent advanced LabVIEW user group and then started hosting meetings myself. It was pretty awesome to meet with LabVIEW users outside of the traditional sales oriented framework of the NI funded meetings.

post-2-1194754002.gif?width=400

post-2-1194753985.png?width=400

Well, the website and forums took off and is now the largest independent LabVIEW user community on the internet.

Some stats:

Average monthly new forum registrations

In 2003: 15

In 2007: 150

Average new monthly forum topics and replies.

In 2003: 20

In 2007: 1800

Total forum topic views since 2003: 6Million

I don't have logged traffic stats since 2003. I just seriously started monitoring the LAVA traffic last year. Currently LAVA has 7,000 daily page views and growing.

LAVA is here to stay. It's a place where LabVIEW users from all over the world congregate and NI can't control it. I like that part the best ;) . We have a great community of advanced LabVIEW talent. I'd like to thank every single one of the members who have stuck through thick and thin with all the various experiments the site has gone through. I'd also like to thank those that have decide to make LAVA their exclusive home. That's cool! Let's also not forget the contributions of a few hip National Instruments employees who are very active in the discussions.

Currently, The focus on my end is the LabVIEW Wiki and the Code repository. I strongly believe in these venues and think that with your help we can make these (especially the wiki) the best LabVIEW resource out there. If the WoW wiki can have 48,000 articles then I think we can do better than 220. All pages on the Wiki are user editable by you and you can create any page you want as long as there is a connection to LabVIEW in some way. Did you know that you already have a personal page on the wiki?

New community enhancements are on the way. What does the future hold? The future looks bright :thumbup: . What do you want to see in LAVA's future? Respond with your wish list.

I've got to admit it, I still miss the LAVA Lamp :D

An obvious kudos to Michael - as Yen said, it's been his baby form the start, and he had a vision that's going from strength. Mike started it off, but it's all the members that have really made it mature and grow into a daily staple for so many engineers and programmers across the world: great job everyone! :thumbup:

We've had an incredible growth in the LAVA family in the last couple of years with the addition of the LAVAcr, LabVIEWwiki and now LabVIEWSearch - now it's time to slow down a bit and take stock of what's really important: maturing those components so they also become integral parts of the LAVA family staple. Get your arses into gear and submit that code snippet or tool that you've been sitting on to the LAVAcr! If you've got a spare ten minutes waiting for a compile, hit the LabVIEWwiki and pick a page that's been marked as requiring updating or pages that don't exist yet. Don't be concerned if your LAVAcr submission or LabVIEWwiki editing isn't perfect - that's not what LAVA's about: it's about us learning from each other!

I'm not suggesting hours of commitment - every time your post, submit or edit, you're helping out the greatest independant LabVIEW community in the world!

post-2-1194754002.gif

QUOTE(i2dx2 @ Nov 11 2007, 08:57 PM)

now it's time to slow down a bit and take stock of what's really important: maturing those components so they also become integral parts of the LAVA family staple.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

You make me Laugh!!!!! HAHAHA

We should forward that message onto Dr. T over @ NI. HAHAHAHAHHAHA

focusing on improving what is important instead of just making new parts hahahahahaha

No, we should not focus on the CR or the WIKI, no , let's add a video chat room, and then we'll add a 3d LAVA relm linked to second life, then we'll make it a new version of LAVA like LAVA 5.0 then LAVA 6.i in a year, then LAVA 7 extreme with deathmatch coding challenges.

WE MUST NOT JUST SIT BACK AND IMPROVE, WE MUST SPEND ALL RESOURCES ON MAKING NEW STUFF THATS BUGGY!!!!

AND THEN..... THE WORLD!!!!

</Rant>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Nov 11 2007, 04:05 AM)

It was back in http://web.archive.org/web/20021106025801/http://www.lavausergroup.org/' target="_blank">November of 2002 when I decided to start the LAVA website and forums.

It was pretty awesome to meet with LabVIEW users outside of the traditional sales oriented framework of the NI funded meetings.

Thanks Mike. Not only for starting LAVA but for keeping it honest. :)

I personally have learned much about advanced concepts here, simply by reading the posts and trying out the uploaded VI's.