GOOP Developer free of charge for commercial use

Thanks for the great news Kurt. If you don't mind. Why the decision?

I suppose my main reason for doing this is that I get a real kick out of having my software used.

Making money out of GOOP developer was never my primary motivation for creating it, it grew out of an interest of mine and then into a passion/obsession, I had tremendous fun developing it and it’s a tool I cant live without and I love it when other developers are using it to build their systems. It’s paid for my LabVIEW licenses over the years and put some change into the beer fund, but the market that this tool appeals too though is quite small, smaller still is the group within that market who can afford the tool or get approval to buy it.

About 18 months ago I released GOOP Developer free of charge for academic use because there were people out there who wanted to use it for academic purposes but couldn’t afford or get approval for it, so I thought it would be cool to help them out.

Another reason is that GOOP Developer has marketing value, it gets people visiting my site which is important now that I’m working towards becoming an alliance member and concentrating on my development services.

• Like 1

I suppose my main reason for doing this is that I get a real kick out of having my software used.

Making money out of GOOP developer was never my primary motivation for creating it, it grew out of an interest of mine and then into a passion/obsession, I had tremendous fun developing it and it’s a tool I cant live without and I love it when other developers are using it to build their systems. It’s paid for my LabVIEW licenses over the years and put some change into the beer fund, but the market that this tool appeals too though is quite small, smaller still is the group within that market who can afford the tool or get approval to buy it.

About 18 months ago I released GOOP Developer free of charge for academic use because there were people out there who wanted to use it for academic purposes but couldn’t afford or get approval for it, so I thought it would be cool to help them out.

Another reason is that GOOP Developer has marketing value, it gets people visiting my site which is important now that I’m working towards becoming an alliance member and concentrating on my development services.

Hi SciWare

What is the difference between LVOOP and GOOP Developer ?

regards Bjarne

What is the difference between LVOOP and GOOP Developer ?

Hi Bjarne

The Open Source GOOP Templates that GOOP Developer uses to build classes was developed by SciWare and JKI before LVOOP was around and doesn’t use LVOOP in any form. The differences between the two are.

Advantages

• You can develop OOP systems for RT platforms.
  • Building your system to an exe is really easy, just add your top level vi and then build. Building a system that includes LVOOP is a more complicated process.

• It’s a by reference implementation, LVOOP is natively is by value, although there are LVOOP frameworks that will give you by reference implantations see Endevo's GOOP Development Suite (GDS).

• You can create Active Objects, i.e. each instance has its own process running in the background. However there is a Design Pattern in GDS that I contributed to with Mikael Holmström that will allow active objects.

• You can develop in LabVIEW 6.1 and up.
  • The GOOP Templates are open source under the BSD open source license.

Disadvantages

• You have to be vigilant about keeping your interfaces between parent and child methods the same, there is no development environment mechanism that will warn you, like LVOOP does.
  • You cannot easily shift inheritance from one class to another. In GOOP Developer you build a child from a parent.

• Super Messaging is more elegantly implemented in LVOOP.
  • You have the ability in LVOOP to make methods private or protected.

• A method call in LVOOP is faster than that derived from an existing Open Source GOOP Template.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Bjarne

The Open Source GOOP Templates that GOOP Developer uses to build classes was developed by SciWare and JKI before LVOOP was around and doesn’t use LVOOP in any form. The differences between the two are.

Advantages

<snip>

Disadvantages

<snip>

It's obvious you are not a marketing guy :D . What marketing guy would post both advantages and disadvantages in the promotion of their product? But it is definitely a very sympathetic treat. :thumbup1:

Rolf Kalbermatter

I want to see an NI marketing announcement where they do mention anything else but the advantages of their product over competitors (besides of a feature list and one or more enthusiastic user comments) ! :P
Come to the "What's New In LabVIEW OOP" session at NI Week. Known issue CAR numbers right up front in the PPT. There was some conversation about the wisdom of that. What ultimately carried the day was the comment from someone on my team: "We're talking about what's new, and, honestly, that crash *is* new..." :frusty:

It's obvious you are not a marketing guy :D . What marketing guy would post both advantages and disadvantages in the promotion of their product? But it is definitely a very sympathetic treat. :thumbup1:

Rolf Kalbermatter

Ha, no, I’m just a LabVIEW geek.

I think if I was a Marketing freak then GOOP Developer would never have seen the light of day. If I’d done a market analysis and income projection against development cost and blah blah blah at the start then the outcome would have been “Are you nuts!”.

But I’m glad I didn’t because it wasn’t all about cash, I basically did it because I’m interested in OOP and at the time it was my mountain to climb, and working with Jim Kring on the OOP Templates and refining GD was a lot of fun. The entire experience has made me a far better LabVIEW Developer than before I started.

I think the best marketing is honesty, if you inform your market of the pro’s and cons of your product then people will make an informed decision and be happy with their choice. I haven’t had an upset or disillusioned client, so seems to work.

I remember a very good manager I worked with, his mantra is “Engineers and Accountants should always tell the truth”

I’ve tried to find an old post I did where I raced all the different flavors of OOP, but I can't find that post, weird. I have the benchmarks which I could re-post if anyone is interested.

I’ve tried to find an old post I did where I raced all the different flavors of OOP, but I can't find that post, weird. I have the benchmarks which I could re-post if anyone is interested.

LAVA search is just a joke.. I gave up using it, try "site:lavag.org OOP Benchmark".

Maybe the post you're referring to is the post 13 of this LAVA 1.0 thread (in google cache)

• Like 1

Any idea how to find a post on LAVA 2.0 when you found it in google cache??

It's terrible to know the exact name of the thread, the date, the section on LAVA 1.0, the thread starter... just everything but you can't find the actual link on LAVA 2.0... :throwpc:

That's because that thread was never imported. It looks like it was in the product announcements forum so it probably got dropped is my guess. I'll have to make a note to go and look for those. BTW, you'll have better luck using the LAVA search if you enclose text in quotes. I know, that's dumb. I'm considering adding back the old lava search which I had added using the Google search engine.

Hi Bjarne

Advantages

• You can develop OOP systems for RT platforms.
  • Building your system to an exe is really easy, just add your top level vi and then build. Building a system that includes LVOOP is a more complicated process.

• It’s a by reference implementation, LVOOP is natively is by value, although there are LVOOP frameworks that will give you by reference implantations see Endevo's GOOP Development Suite (GDS).

• You can create Active Objects, i.e. each instance has its own process running in the background. However there is a Design Pattern in GDS that I contributed to with Mikael Holmström that will allow active objects.

• You can develop in LabVIEW 6.1 and up.
  • The GOOP Templates are open source under the BSD open source license.

Disadvantages

• You have to be vigilant about keeping your interfaces between parent and child methods the same, there is no development environment mechanism that will warn you, like LVOOP does.
  • You cannot easily shift inheritance from one class to another. In GOOP Developer you build a child from a parent.

• Super Messaging is more elegantly implemented in LVOOP.
  • You have the ability in LVOOP to make methods private or protected.

• A method call in LVOOP is faster than that derived from an existing Open Source GOOP Template.

Thank you very much, and I like it truely!