Busy / Thinking throbber example

These are interesting. How do you turn them off? (See desktop snapshot)

What can not be seen from the snapshot is that

-- all three(!) throbbers are still throbbing even though "throbber.vi" is not running anymore and I have tried to close the "wait dialog with shadow".

-- if i move the Lava screen, the "wait dialog with shadow" front panel and stop button move with it.

-- if i move the block diagram, its throbber moves with it.

I also don't know how the throbber got onto the block diagram. If I delete the block diagram and then open it again, the throbber is still there.

I don't know why or how these things are happening, but it is interesting. And it's not even close to April 1.

My implimentation uses an animated GIF file. The GIF will always update, even when the VI is not running. I effectively stop the animation when running by selecting a different item in the ring. I should have placed a single frame 1 pixel gif as the first item in the ring; this post was jus a quick example for someone on the Info-LabVIEW mailing list where attachments aren't possible.

Note that you can use any type of GIF on the front panel or the block diagram ( :oops:

didn't mean to leave that there). I included the decoration and custom background color on the fp to show the transparency.

Drag and drop a few of the "smileys" from the LAVA forums into a picture ring. Don't get carried away, though. You wouldn't want your VI to start looking like a myspace or geocities page :P

Animated GIFs :lightbulb: :thumbup: :wacko: :headbang:

Simple, and works great! There are so many ways to skin a cat. http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6633

Using the picture ring, you could have a single indicator that shows not connected, connected, busy, error, etc.; update it by value based on an enum (like in a state machine) AND have it animated (almost "for free"). You can do it without property nodes or extra code.

• 1 month later...