How Many People....

Daryl

How many people here have dreamt about debugging code all night, then woke up feeling like you just got home from work?

That happened to me last night/this morning and now i'm soooooooo tired.

When I've got a big bug late in the afternoon, I don't worry too much about it because I just know I'll dream of the solution... Most times, I solve these bugs the next day before my colleagues even arrive at work... I don't remember feeling tired, but I do feel I work too much! ;)

When I've got a big bug late in the afternoon, I don't worry too much about it because I just know I'll dream of the solution... Most times, I solve these bugs the next day before my colleagues even arrive at work... I don't remember feeling tired, but I do feel I work too much! ;)

If I could just figure out a way to get paid for coding in my sleep. Could almost double my salary :thumbup1:

My solutions usually come to me in the shower.

How many people here have dreamt about debugging code all night, then woke up feeling like you just got home from work?

If I get really stuck on something, I rarely let it go once I get home. Sometimes I'll be just thinking about it as I'm doing other thing. But more often than not, I'll fire up my computer at home and start trying things. Since I'm not on the clock, I can try things the way I want to. Often, I'll come up with a solution before I even go to bed.

Once I had to deliver a machine really 'in-time' because it was a prototype for an expo. The machine was shipped before I could completly access and test the functionality, so I was travelling alongside. Overworked, of course! That night I woke up about almost every two hours with some nightmares about what could happend during transportation that completly would wreck the show. And then I had to get it running the next day...

Felix

As long as you find solutions in your dreams it is ok.

I was dreaming about a bug myself and when I came to the point: " Ahaaa, that's it, I have to do ....." i woke up. This happend about 5 times in a row in one night.

So i woke up, pretty tired, knowing that there is a solution but not knowing the solution :frusty:

Finally I found my bug on a friday afternoon ... The weekend was awesome :rolleyes:

There was a time in my life where I worked 16-17 hour days as a backend web developer for about three years in order to make ends meet. Constant "hair-on-fire" drills, calls in the middle of the night, and a couch next to my desk that probably saw more sleep time than my bed at home did. When the new baby came at home, let's just say that my family life was a little...strained.

The turning point came on a very memorable weekend, when my wife was talking to me about future babysitting options for our daughter. After a pause, my response to her was "Okay, I'll get that script up and running next week..."

Dream of debugging? At that point my eyes were open, while dreaming of debugging, while sleep-talking to my wife.

Of course, 1.2us later I was wide awake...and my arm hurt. Bad. unsure.gif

I started job-hunting that week.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I seldom can remember my dreams and if I do they are never about technical things. But I regularly get up the morning after a day of trial and error in getting something to work in either LabVIEW or a DLL and suddenly there is this idea in my head: "Hey why don't you try it in that way?"

I'm pretty sure I have somehow worked on that at some point in my sleep and those ideas are often a bit unusual but most times they do work or at least get me a good way on to the real solution.

Rolf Kalbermatter