Top Reputations

Did the list of Top Reputations on top of the Forums page go away?

That's what's missing!

That part of the page looked different, but I just bought a Premium Membership and it uses that same space, so I thought it was just that.

I think the Top Reputation list on the front page is not really necessary. What would be better is to be able to search through Reputable posts... This way, it could serve as an annotation for memorable posts or extremely useful content, just the way tags worked on LAVA1.0. (I kind of miss the tagging features too, not so much the tag cluster on the front page as the tagging itself).

I think the Top Reputation list on the front page is not really necessary. What would be better is to be able to search through Reputable posts... This way, it could serve as an annotation for memorable posts or extremely useful content, just the way tags worked on LAVA1.0. (I kind of miss the tagging features too, not so much the tag cluster on the front page as the tagging itself).

I like this idea.

If you notice. After the initial flurry, reputations are increasing at a massively slower rate. I put this down to the fact that people (like me) didn't know what that little green number meant and kept clicking on it to see what happened. It took me ages to figure out that it was for the reputation system and not in fact, to add the post to a multiple reply :P

I also think its a bit misleading, since those that help newbies are unlikely to get better reputations since a newbie generally doesn't realise a) they can vote, or b) what it is for. However, those in the "old boys network" will get tremendous reputations.

I also think its a bit misleading, since those that help newbies are unlikely to get better reputations since a newbie generally doesn't realise a) they can vote, or b) what it is for. However, those in the "old boys network" will get tremendous reputations.

Well phrased. And this is why I think it shouldn't be on the front page. See my remark a long time ago...

So after I install the new forum version I will re-add the plugin that shows the top reputation members (if it works).

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to imply that the reputation system is bad. I kind of like to receive those clicks too... It's just that I don't think it should be a race to figure in the top 10, but rather a way, as you pointed out, to attract my eyes on posts that others have liked.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to imply that the reputation system is bad. I kind of like to receive those clicks too... It's just that I don't think it should be a race to figure in the top 10, but rather a way, as you pointed out, to attract my eyes on posts that others have liked.

I don't think of it as a race. Maybe others do. It's basically one small reward for writing something interesting or helpful (for those that like that sort of thing, some are just happy with a thank you). I agree it would be great to have some way of finding the top voted posts but this is not in place right now. There may be a plugin or a feature in the wings for this but I haven't looked. I wouldn't be surprised if there was.

I don't think of it as a race. Maybe others do. It's basically one small reward for writing something interesting or helpful (for those that like that sort of thing, some are just happy with a thank you). I agree it would be great to have some way of finding the top voted posts but this is not in place right now. There may be a plugin or a feature in the wings for this but I haven't looked. I wouldn't be surprised if there was.

You're right, perhaps it's a shame we're so shy to give rep points...

For newbies, it surely helps to know that someone with a good reputation on the forums is taking time to answer their questions. They can feel reassured that the answerer is competent (not garanteed, but still...) The fact that I know (in person or through my daily browsing of LAVA) the top posters doesn't mean that it's the same for all. I'll try to put myself in other's shoes... ;)

I don't think of it as a race. Maybe others do. It's basically one small reward for writing something interesting or helpful (for those that like that sort of thing, some are just happy with a thank you).

Yeah it's a nice little reward, much better than that internet money that my bank wouldn't take.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/165195