Resetting DAQmx Watchdog

_Y_

I am trying to implement a simple DAQ Watchdog with single digital output but cannot find any logical way to reset the Watchdog timeout signal. One of obvious solutions is invoking DAQmx Reset Device.vi. Unfortunately, it does not work. The Watchdog goes to timeout state but the physical output signal does not turn to High.

For some obscure reason (typical non-qualified guess:) I added bottom part of the code that is red-framed in the BD. The only difference between functional and non-functional code is using DAQmx Start Task.vi, that is located in “Solutionâ€-driven case structure. If Boolean control “Solution†is True, the code works; if False, it doesn’t.

Please help to understand why launching conventional Digital Output task is necessary for normal functioning of the Watchdog?

PS: Attempts to use clear expiration command instead of DAQmx Reset Device.vi were not successful.

PSS: HW is PXIe-6358

PSSS: Unfortunately, I cannot post any image here. Any image format results in "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community" :blink: . The VI is attached.

watchdogTest150817.vi

Edited by _Y_

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Peter Herrmann
      Hello LAVA community,
      I use a USB 6215.
      With two TTL output signals, two different colored lasers are to be triggered.
      TTL 1 activates a blue laser. TTL 2 activates a green laser. 
      This external device also outputs 2 analog signals that I can capture with the USB 6215.
      While the lasers are active, the analog signals output characteristic values.
      The two TTL signals should be output by the USB6215 as follows:
      Both TTLs should be active for 10 ms every 100 ms, one after the other with a 2 ms delay.
      So TTL1 active for 10 ms, then 2 ms delay then TTL 2 active for 10 ms. The times should be adhered to as precisely as possible.
      The two analog signals should be calculated during the time in which both TTL are active (i.e. over the 22ms).
      The analog signals are sampled at 1 kHz.
      The analog data acquisition via DAQmx is clear. 
      I only have problems programming the timing of the digital triggers (TTL) accordingly.
      Does anyone have any idea how to start? 
      Maybe someone has already programmed something similar?
      Thanks in advance
      Pete
    • By paulofelora
      I have a requirement that I thought would be SIMPLE, but can't get it to work.  I have a 9205 card in a little 9174 cDAQ USB chassis.
      My *intended* behavior is to wait (block) at the DAQmx Trigger/Start Analog Edge on, say channel ai1, until I get a falling edge thru, say, -0.050V.  So I have a little vi (that contains 2 parallel loops) that I want to sit & wait for the trigger to be satisifed.  I'm doing "routine" voltage measurements in another AI loop on a different channel.  I want this vi to run separately from my "routine" voltage measurements because I want the app to respond "instantly" to input voltage exceeding a limit to prevent expensive damage to load cells.  I was afraid that if I used either Finite or Continuous sampling to "catch" an excessive voltage, I might miss it while I'm doing something else.  Yes, yes, a cRIO real-time setup would be better for this, but this is a very cost-sensitive task... I just want to "Arm & Forget" this process until it gets triggered, whereupon it fires an event at me.  SO... I'm also reading the same voltage on channel ai0 for regular-ole voltage measurements, and just jumpering them together.  I did this because I read somewhere that you can't use the same channel for multiple DAQ tasks - I *thought* I would need to set up the tasks differently.  {but now that think about it, the setups can be the same...}.
      I've set up the DAQmx task the same as shipping examples and lots of posts I've seen.  I'm supplying a nice clean DC voltage to a 9205 card using a high quality HP variable power supply.  Using NI-MAX, I've verified that my 9174 chassis & 9205 are working properly.
      THE PROBLEM - When I run it, the vi just sails right through to the end, with no error, and an empty data array out.  No matter WHAT crazy voltage I give the "DAQmx Trigger.vi" (set up for Start Analog Edge), it never waits for the trigger to be satisfied, just breezes on through as if it weren't there.  If I set the Sample Clock for "Finite Samples", the DAQmx Read fails with timeout - makes sense, since the trigger wasn't satisfied.  What could I possibly be doing wrong with such a simple task???????
      So my fundamental misunderstanding still vexes me - does the DAQmx Trigger vi not block and wait for the trigger condition to be satisfied, like the instructions state - "Configures the task to start acquiring or generating samples when an analog signal crosses the level you specify"?
      I stripped my requirement down to the bare essentials - see the 1st snippet, the 2nd is my actual vi.  Any ideas, anybody?

• By Zyga
      LAVA users,
      We are looking for alternatives for NI DAQ devices for industrial automation. Since NI has its devices mostly focused on advanced/high speed/high precison data acquisition/processing its prices are inadequate to simple automation tasks. 
      I would also say that NI PC based daq systems are expensive if need to be distributed systems (found this but still relatively expensive cRIO required).
      Just now we need to extend our compactDAQ based system with two DIO modules. We even have free chassis slots for this, but station that needs this IOs is few meters away from PC. How easier would it be if we could use single ethernet cable..  Ofcourse we can add another small cDAQ (what we probably going to do) but this is slightly expensive solution for our customer.
      Does anyone have some experience with 3rd party solutions? Any known daq devices vendors? Standalone ethernet daq modules?

Regards,
      Zyga
    • By Gab
      Hello Everyone,
      Need some verification with daq program.
      I have one force sensor that connectd with my usb daq device. with this force sensor, unknown object is connected(hanging) and i want to find the mass of this object (F=ma) so i am taking continous sample and generate waveform graph. After the scaling, my waveform will be in Newton unit.
      my question is: if i take RMS of this waveform(1d Array data point) and divide by g (9.8 m/s2) then whatever value come is my correct mass? (F=ma).
      Thank you in advance
    • By neunited
      Dear All, 
      I'm new to this forum and I'm really glad I became a member.
      I am currently in the phase of designing a simple program which can control all the DAQmx channels using a configuration file (.ini) which is capable of change voltage range during mid-simulation. 
      At the moment my .ini file reads as follows: 
      [AO Channel 1] 
      Name = T2
      Physical Channel = cDAQ1Mod1/ao0
      Max Value = 10 
      Min Value = 0 
      [AO Channel 2] 
      Name = T3
      Physical Channel = cDAQ1Mod1/ao1
      Max Value = 10 
      Min Value = 0 
      [AO Channel 1] 
      Name = T2
      Physical Channel = cDAQ1Mod1/ao0
      Max Value = 5 
      Min Value = 0 
      [AO Channel 2] 
      Name = T3
      Physical Channel = cDAQ1Mod1/ao1
      Max Value = 10 
      Min Value = 0 
      My LabVIEW VI for the .ini script  is attached. I'm relatively new to using configuration file functions and I don't really understand where "Get Key Names" section should be wired to. I have placed a constant on it for now which reads the "AO Channel 1" but how can I get it to read all the channels in the .ini file.
      I am welcome to all suggestions here, I just want to make sure that I don't cause any problems to any of the channels and use best practice methods. All constructive criticism welcome!
      Thank you. 

Read Configuration (INI) File (1).vi

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.