Dhans

Waveform smoothing

Hi, all I am doing now pulse oximeter project in labview. I have got signals from oximeter and waveform is generated in waveform graph. But not a smooth one. I need a smooth waveform like the image attached here. What are the applicable methods to solve this problem?

output wave.JPG

There is a whole subpallet labeled "Filters" under Signal Processing that are applicable, and that's really only a subset of what is out in the world. To know which filter(s) you want to use, you need to identify what you want to get rid of first. Not all filters are equal. Some maintain amplitude, but shift phase. Others are designed to maintain phase at the cost of amplitude. Each one has its use. So the method to solve the problem is to identify what you want to keep and what you want to filter out, then select one or more filters that do that.

If you want some assistance in picking filters, then you're going to have to provide some additional information about your raw data.

Tim's right in that you need to provide a lot more information - the appropriate filters and parameters are very dependent on the raw data.

Having said that, for the purpose you describe (which I'm guessing is signal visualization rather than signal analysis) the first filter I will tend to try is the Savitzky-Golay filter, though again the parameters can be quite sensitive.  It's essentially a piece-wise polynomial fit.  There is also a Pt-by-Pt version which is useful for real-time data processing as it is acquired.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By HelenaDomo
      Hi all,

We are a group of students from the University of Cambridge who are developing a new data connectivity system for researchers like us, its up at https://rinocloud.com

It currently integrates with LabVIEW, Matlab and Python. The plugin will point your data directly at our secure storage where you can automatically add metadata results for easy and fast retrieval. We’re also rolling out plotting features for presenting the data, collaboration features for project teams and an integrated lab book.

We are looking for new users, researchers like us, to help us to get feedback from our product.  You’ll be able to directly influence the product development so that you get a data system that is useful for you.

Know more at https://rinocloud.com 
      https://twitter.com/Rinocloud

Thanks, 
      Helena
    • By Steen Schmidt
      Hi,

I've decided to take the temperature on a known issue, that lvclass files retain knowledge of some of their old content after it's deleted.

Proof
      For some reason I'm not allowed to upload lvclass files, so I'll describe it instead (using LV2014SP1):

1) Create a new class and save it on disk as class1.lvclass. No member data nor methods, file size on disk is 8 kB.

2) Add one piece of significantly sized (to easier see the issue) member data, I added a 1000x100 array of DBL (with random default data in it). Save the class again, and now class1.lvclass is 4604 kB (why so much, should be around 1000 kB?).

3) Delete all member data again and resave the class. File size on disk is now 1171 kB, I'd have expected 8 kB.

4) I can't ever get rid of that extra data in the lvclass file, not even when I "save as" to create a similar class.

Questions
      A) What's the reason behind this issue?

B) Is there any way to really delete stuff from a class file, or is the only way to recreate every class from scratch if you want something truly gone?

C) Is there a list (perhaps internal to NI) of which problems this issue causes? Here I'm talking about stuff like this and numerous other threads about class data suddenly not being updated or member data or methods not being called correctly with DD.

Cheers,
      Steen
    • By Duc Tran
      I have a data file EMG signal .tdms, the signal represented by number of samples and amplitude (24bit data). I want to perform this signal into a time domain to perform spectral analysis EMG signal. 
      I look forward to help me continue my project.
      I send all write file and read file the signal EMG signals
      Thanks so much.
      P/s: Read EMG Signal read data file sEMG_1.tdms
      EMG monitor write EMG signal acquisition to sEMG_1.tdms

Read EMG Signal.vi
      EMG monitor_.vi

• By kull3rk3ks
      Hi there,

I have an issue with a small project i'm currently working on, where I have an array of waveforms that I'm displaying on a graph.

What I would like to do is to change the X-Axis from displaying the timestamp to displaying another channel.

I have for instance a channel where force was recorded, and another where distance was recorded. I would now like to display force over distance for example.

What would be the best way to do this?

Would be thankful for any pointers on this matter.

Robert.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.