LV built-app talk to CVI/VisualStudio exe: how?

DLL functions or shared variables?  Or something else?

I have a Labview 2014-64 executable (or I can build a DLL) that runs one piece of equipment, the X-ray.  The other engineer has a large CVI Labwindows 2015 + MS Visual Studio 2012 (C++) executable that runs everything else.  I want the Labview code to be a slave of the CVI code, accepting commands to turn X-ray On or Off, reporting failures, and the like.  Translating the X-ray code into C++ would be possible in principle, but not fun.

Shared variables look easy, but I'm kinda scared of them.  I would define all the shared variables in my LV code, since I'm more familiar with LV, then use them in both.  There's a thread in here called "Shared Variable Woes" so maybe I should be scared.  In the alternative, I tried building a proof-of-concept DLL in Labview, and calling its functions in CVI/C++, and it works, but it's kinda clunky.  (I'm attaching it below in case you want to play, or advise.)

Your advice would be appreciated.

XrayDLL.zip

Raw TCP.

Make your application respond to SCPI commands and the other engineer can treat it like any other instrument. Can even be over a network (remote). It's a simple method which is programming language independent and can be added to existing applications without much problem. Also has no additional installation or distribution requirements.

Edited by ShaunR
  • Like 1