Jump to content
bjustice

LabVIEW 2019 "create constant" right click menu

Recommended Posts

I've started working in LabVIEW 2019 SP1, and I've observed that the right-click menu on the block diagram has changed such that "create constant/control/indicator" are always at the top for almost every block diagram action.  Example:

image.png.3b36a804ecf458f9959979fbc730a34a.pngimage.png.d57c9ae421a788f10e7e68e3270eaa37.png 

 

If I recall, this was a pretty popular right-click menu plugin that alot of LAVA folks were using in prior versions of LabVIEW.  It looks like NI simply cemented the idea in base LabVIEW 2019.

I'm just curious though, does anyone here find this annoying?  It's really wreaking havoc on my muscle memory.  Furthermore, in situations such as above with a case structure, I'd much prefer the "Replace with case selector" to always be the top-item

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, you can turn it off.... Well previously I was using the right-click plugin, so I was happy to see it appear as a feature in 2019.

When it comes to software, over the years I have adjusted my attitude by telling myself to "expect everything to change all the time". That way I'm not frustrated every time I have to reteach myself something. On the upside, it's probably a good mental exercise to not allow our muscle memory to become burned in. Think of it as cross-training for the brain. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I mentioned in that thread tunnels out of a loop, and case select terminals are the major issues I see with it.  I'd estimate I probably have wanted to create a constant, control, or indicators from those conditions probably 5% of the time.  The other 95% I want to change the tunnel options or make that datatype the selector input.  I was told in the beta I was wrong, and that users want to create one of those things more than any other thing, in all situations.  I mentioned this in that thread and Darren at least acknowledged that in some cases the developer likely doesn't want to create anything but being consistent is important.  If being consistent is important then I'd say that is a vote to get rid of Auto-tool.  Hover here to have this tool...no not like that click here first.  Or just tab and get what I want.  I'm still primarily in 2018 but consistently have issues in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Riiight, so Hooovahh is hitting the nail on the head here with my thoughts exactly.

Quote

I'd estimate I probably have wanted to create a constant, control, or indicators from those conditions probably 5% of the time.  The other 95% I want to change the tunnel options or make that datatype the selector input.

It would have been nice to maybe make the plugin menu a bit more intelligent such that it wouldn't have these "create constant, create indicator, create control" for these situations.

The consistency argument is interesting and not something that I had considered.

Give me 2 months with this new change, and I'll report back on how my muscle memory and opinion has changed.  I might indeed be the old man yelling at a cloud right now.

I'm trying to beat Darren for fastest programmer in the world, so muscle memory plays alot into things like right click menus and quickdrop names

Edited by bjustice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone is in for a wild ride with NXG.

For extra programming efficiency, speed and consistency the data has shown it is actually better to have two totally different context menus that appear at the same time. Even better, some have pictures, some have text. Take that brain training!

image.png.c0ca64d6ac70069cea63d7dc4e15be5d.png

Really looking forward to NXG6.0, we might have 3 different menus!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 9:16 PM, bjustice said:

I'm trying to beat Darren for fastest programmer in the world, so muscle memory plays alot into things like right click menus and quickdrop names

Aspiring to be the World's 2nd Fastest LabVIEW Programmer is indeed a noble goal.
image.png.a471c5cc605b5e2813d1e6be37d10471.png
 

One of the things that makes me fast is the fact that I know exactly what the first three menu options will be, 100% of the time, whenever I right-click on any data type (terminal or wire) on a diagram. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.