Missing external function errors in executable on hosts with a runtime engine

Hello, I wrote a LabVIEW program to communicate with a hardware sensor using vendor-provided LLB and a DLL files. The program runs fine on my workstation both from LabVIEW IDE and from a compiled executable. The problem starts when I copy the entire executable folder to a target host without a LabVIEW IDE (only with a runtime engine). The application opens with a broken Run arrow and a "missing external function" error message appears for every function call I made to the DLL (see attached).

I have tested my application on 5 completely different Windows 10 computers managed by different people. On three of them with various versions of LabVIEW IDE my executable opened with a whole Run arrow and no error message. Two other machines previously had no LabVIEW, so I installed a Runtime Engine 2017f2 32-bit with default settings to match the version of my IDE. Both gave an identical error message.

The DLL is always included in the application build. I have tried placing the DLL in every conceivable location on the target host: in the executable folder, in the /data folder, in the c:\Windows and system32 folders... I even created a full folder tree matching the location of the project on the developer workstation. Same error. When I intentionally hide the DLL, my executable prompts me to point to it upon being opened, and when I do, I get all the same error messages.

Vendor documentation only asks to put the two files in the same folder. From programmer's manual: " The driver was written in LabWindows/CVI, version 4.0.1 and is contained in a dynamic link library which can be linked with a variety of programming languages." There is no vendor-provided support.

One way I actually got rid of the error message was by editing every Call Library Function Node in every VI in the LLB to use relative path to DLL together with the Application Directory VI. However, I feel that there has got to be a better way to compile than by editing a vendor-provided library, especially since it works as-is on some computers. Can anyone suggest what it is?

Thank you for your time!

failed_application.png

Edited by Billy_G

Obviously your DLL has other DLL dependencies. And it is the task of Windows to resolve such scondary dependencies. But Windows won't search in the directory the referencing DLL is. Instead Windows has a number of standard locations it will look for such DLLs. Make them appear in one of those directories and things are well.

1) if already loaded it will simply reuse the DLL

2) In the directory the process exe file resides

3) in the Windows\System32 directory

4) in the Windows directory

5) in the current path, which starts in the process exe directory but is affected whenever you dismiss the file dialog in an application

6) in one of the directories listed in the PATH environment variables.

The quick fix is to move your DLLs in the same directory as your build exe

You most likely have installed the driver at some point on your machine and it put copies of the DLLs in Windows\System32. You then copied those DLLs into your project library but all but the directly called DLLs through the Call Library Node are then basically never used since Windows will find and load the DLLs from the system directory.

Edited by Rolf Kalbermatter

As I have said in my original post, I tried placing the DLL in most of the locations you enumerated, including a directory tree perfectly matched to the project location, with no luck. All the vendor gave me were one LLB and one DLL in a zip file. I just unpacked and added them to the LabVIEW project. There was no driver installation, no subsequent copying of some DLLs but not others. And the fact that the error messages are about missing functions in that DLL makes me think that it is not related to other DLL dependencies.

I emailed a zipped up executable to a colleague with a LabVIEW IDE, and I have no idea where he unzipped the files or what his version of LabVIEW was, but he said it loaded without an error message on the first try.

Edited by Billy_G
1 hour ago, Billy_G said:

As I have said in my original post, I tried placing the DLL in most of the locations you enumerated, including a directory tree perfectly matched to the project location, with no luck. All the vendor gave me were one LLB and one DLL in a zip file. I just unpacked and added them to the LabVIEW project. There was no driver installation, no subsequent copying of some DLLs but not others. And the fact that the error messages are about missing functions in that DLL makes me think that it is not related to other DLL dependencies.

I emailed a zipped up executable to a colleague with a LabVIEW IDE, and I have no idea where he unzipped the files or what his version of LabVIEW was, but he said it loaded without an error message on the first try.

Have you tried any kind of dependency checker? This can be useful in tracking down why a DLL is not getting loaded with LabVIEW.

https://github.com/lucasg/Dependencies

Now, I have come across one super weird issue last year which totally surprised me. I don't think this is the same thing you are experiencing, but see this thread for an explanation https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/error-loading-lvanlys-dll-in-Labview-64-bits/td-p/4009772

4 hours ago, Billy_G said:

If the driver itself only consists of this single DLL, then that still does not exclude the possibility of dependencies, but a little different than what I deduced from your first post.

Every C(++) compiler will use a C (and in case of C++ also a C++) runtime library for all the standard functions that a programmer expects to be able to use. This runtime library is similar to the LabVIEW runtime engine.

While it is possible to include the relevant C runtime functions together into the DLL, this is often (and in Visual C by default) not done to make the DLL not contain redundant code that is elsewhere available on the system. Now most C compilers have long ago started to use version specific C runtimes. If your DLL was created with Visual Studio 2010 for instance, it is set to depend on the Micosoft C runtime  version 10.0. A Visual Studio 2012 executable or DLL is dependent on Microsoft C runtime version 11.0.

Each C runtime has its own set of DLLs that need to be present on the target system in order to load a DLL or EXE created in the according Visual Studio version.

Microsoft Windows comes pre-installed with some C runtime installations and that can vary over time since various Windows tools are compiled with various Microsoft C compiler versions. And LabVIEW and many of the NI tools are created in various versions of Visual Studio too. So what most probably happens is that on a full LabVIEW IDE install some of the libraries or tools installed uses the exact same runtime version as your DLL. On a normal LabVIEW runtime installed machine this specific NI tool or library is not necessary and hence not installed and therefore loading of your DLL must fail.

Your DLL manufacturer needs to document in which version of Visual Studio the DLL was created to let you download the according Microsoft C runtime installer from the Microsoft side (or provide that installer together with their DLL).

2 hours ago, Neil Pate said:

Now, I have come across one super weird issue last year which totally surprised me. I don't think this is the same thing you are experiencing, but see this thread for an explanation https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/error-loading-lvanlys-dll-in-Labview-64-bits/td-p/4009772

It's not really weird. The NI Analysis library is only a thin wrapper around the Intel Math Kernel library. And that library does all kinds of very low level performance enhancing tricks. Part of that is that it determines at loading what CPU, number of cores and which SIMM extensions the CPU supports to tune its internal functions to take maximum advantage of the CPU features for performance reason.

It so happens that the detection code for this trips over its feet when presented with an AMD Ryzen CPU and rather than falling back to a safe but not that performant option it simply aborts the DLL loading which in turn aborts the LabVIEW wrapper DLL loading. LabVIEW doesn't know why the loading of the DLL failed, just that it did fail.

Of course, anyone suspecting any malevolence in that failure of detecting a competitors CPU, really must be ill minded. 😀

Realistically I suspect it wasn't malevolence, but the fact that it wasn't for their own CPUs didn't quite make the urgency to fix it very high. And NI doesn't update the AA library every few months to the latest and greatest MKL release, as that has some serious implications in terms of testing effort. 

21 minutes ago, Rolf Kalbermatter said:

It so happens that the detection code for this trips over its feet when presented with an AMD Ryzen CPU and rather than falling back to a safe but not that performant option it simply aborts the DLL loading which in turn aborts the LabVIEW wrapper DLL loading.

As I said, weird... 🙄

2 hours ago, dadreamer said:

Might it be that LabWindows/CVI RTE should also be installed on a clean machine? DLL dependencies utility shows, that QCMM2000.DLL depends on cvirte.dll. I'm not sure, where you could download 4.0.1 RTE for LabWindows, it's not available on NI.com. Maybe try to request it from the vendor?..

2020-12-03_18-03-11.jpg

Yes it could if this driver was developed in LabWindows/CVI. And there are some parts that get installed with LabVIEW that were in fact developed in LabWindows/CVI and therefore will cause the runtime engine to be installed. LabVIEW runtime itself does not need it however so its logical that it does not install them.

Where did you deduce that it needs the 4.0.1 version of the CVI runtime?  That is an awfully old version released about 25 years ago. I would guess that the DLL needs a newer version unless it was released in the late 90ies of last century.

Edit: I just see that the copyright is 1997 to 2001 so your version might be in fact not very much off. Although a never LabWindows/CVI should work too. LabWindows/CVI did not use version specific runtime libraries and the functions were usually kept backwards compatible.

44 minutes ago, Rolf Kalbermatter said:

Where did you deduce that it needs the 4.0.1 version of the CVI runtime?

It's in the OP's first message.

On 12/2/2020 at 12:54 PM, Billy_G said:

From programmer's manual: " The driver was written in LabWindows/CVI, version 4.0.1 and is contained in a dynamic link library which can be linked with a variety of programming languages."

45 minutes ago, Rolf Kalbermatter said:

Although a never LabWindows/CVI should work too.

Then it's worth trying RTE 5.5 at least.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Thank you, dadreamer! There is, in fact, a dependency on cvirte.dll, which is installed on my development host, but not on the deployment host. I tried installing RTE 5.5, but it would not run on Windows 10, no matter what compatibility settings I pick (I tried all options back to Win 95). So, instead, I matched the version of the cvirte on the development machine (19.0. ...), not of the vendor's code, and voila!

• 7 months later...
On 3/18/2021 at 9:24 AM, Billy_G said:

Thank you, dadreamer! There is, in fact, a dependency on cvirte.dll, which is installed on my development host, but not on the deployment host. I tried installing RTE 5.5, but it would not run on Windows 10, no matter what compatibility settings I pick (I tried all options back to Win 95). So, instead, I matched the version of the cvirte on the development machine (19.0. ...), not of the vendor's code, and voila!

As mentioned, the cvirte.dll is not version specific. The CVI developers apparently tried to avoid that version incompatibility shenigan. So a newer CVI runtime engine install should work. There is a small chance of a version compatibility bug in a much never version, but as long as it works, it works. 😀