Special LabVIEW version wish

Hi, I don't feel confident to add this officially to LabVIEW wish list yet, so I'd post it here first. Would it be possible to make a special LabVIEW version that can be seen as 3D (like using red/cyan glasses or special LED monitor) so that all controls would be real 3D and we can see multi-layer of case structure in 3D etc? (mouse click would lead to one special case scene), so that we have more room in block diagram (no one need to complain anymore that they don't get big enough screen) since we add one more dimension? That would add more fun to already fun LabVIEW programming cause it's coding in dream , not in reality. :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, really this was talked in year 2000? Well, I have never seen and read this before, I only start paying attention to LabVIEW forums 2-3 years ago (coincidently I also posted something regarding audio probing before in info-labview one or two years ago). So that can only mean that great mind think alike :)

National Instruments is working on it because they have a patent out for 3D graphical programming...

Well... I don't think that having a patent means that you're actively working on something - just trying to protect your idea. That said, I'd sure like to program in a 3D LabVIEW 'world" (but not if they go for those VR glasses - they give me a headache :) )

Personally, I've been programming in 3D with LabView for years now. I can't see too well with my face smashed against the screen... :laugh:

Seriously though, to be truly 3D they would have to be operating in an OS environment that recognizes depth, would they not? Has anyone seen Serial Experiments Lain?

It would be wonderful!!

Except if you have to debug someone else's messy code... :headbang:

At the risk of sounding crazier than normal... :P

We technically have all the tools we need to write this.

That image was done with the LV 3-d picture control tool-kit.

I have already done custom skins for the objects.

If a GUI interface was developed for it and coupled with scripting...

I'd love to see Darren write a "3-d VI Analyzer" to detect wires passing THROUGH objects. :oops:

Yes, we would have to keep these things well structured.

Ben

At the risk of sounding crazier than normal... :P

I'd love to see Darren write a "3-d VI Analyzer" to detect wires passing THROUGH objects. :oops:

Yes, we would have to keep these things well structured.

Ben

But why stop at the third dimension?!? The fourth dimension could really allow for some very cool tricks. :thumbup: If done right, you might never have to rush for a deadline again.

I'd hate to see what would happen if done wrong, though...

Wait a second! Wasn't there another thread that perhaps eluding to this?!? :shifty:

-Pete Liiva

p.s. Do we have any string theorists in the forum? If so, this could get real... complex...

Well... I don't think that having a patent means that you're actively working on something - ...snip...

Want to bet a :beer: ? I'll happily wager a :beer: payable the first time we meet, (probably at NIWeek, but maybe not this year) that NI has work ongoing as of the date of this post. I will state that I do not have inside info, I do not KNOW, I have never yet asked anyone from NI about this. But I'd bet the patent isn't just to sit on, rather, that they are actually working on it.

A well written VI in 3-d would be an absolute must!

Imagine trying to debug code that looks like this but with wires everywhere. Yeeeeaache.

post-29-1144791154.jpg?width=400

I would imagine that the best way to do this is in VR with data gloves. But I'd take it any way I could get it.

Since it is 3D, would we call it beta test, or tertia test

Isn't the 3D picture control ActiveX (windows only)?

And isn't it quite buggy (by your own account)? :(

I guess that means we'll have to wait until Michael is prover right before we see a proper working 3D version. :clock:

Isn't the 3D picture control ActiveX (windows only)?

And isn't it quite buggy (by your own account)? :(

I guess that means we'll have to wait until Michael is prover right before we see a proper working 3D version. :clock:

The 3D control is Active X but the 3D Picture Control is an extension to the well known Picture Control implementing some 3D object drawings, using the OpenGL extension LabVIEW has been linking to for several versions now to implement their new (and IMO ugly) 3D control style. The extension to the Picture control is really available since 7.0 but NI only released a Beta-Test Toolkit to make use of it with LabVIEW 7.1 and being marked as a Toolkit LabVIEW 7.1 refuses to safe it back to 7.0 :angry:

As to 3D programming in LabVIEW I'm afraid I won't benefit much of such a feature. My left eye is basically lame so all those 3D hypes in the past were leaving me with some curiosity as to how 3D visisbility would really look like.

Rolf Kalbermatter

As to 3D programming in LabVIEW I'm afraid I won't benefit much of such a feature. My left eye is basically lame so all those 3D hypes in the past were leaving me with some curiosity as to how 3D visisbility would really look like.

Rolf Kalbermatter

I can relate.

I am completely deaf in one ear nad have nevered experienced "stereo". I can only imagine based on what I see.

Re: this discussion in general

1st Thanks Irene for getting this started. Its about time we started talking about this.

2nd I suspect there is someone developing something along this line. That is why I think is good for us to talk about this now in public. There is no better time to express your desires for a new version of software than before it is announced.

So....

Will special "pointing devlices" be required?

Zooming seems like it will be required from day 1.

If you stop and think about it, LV diagrams are already 3-d, you just can't change your viewing angle.

What do you think?

Ben

Which 3D are we talking about here?

3D picture controls or graphs allow to display a and rotate objects as 3D objects projections but it is not 3D stereo vision where you need some way to send two different images one to each eye.

In the former case we see a flat image and the brain figures depth from perspectives and relative sizes. You see the same thing even with poor eyesight on one eye.

In the latter case the brain receives two images and then it can figure depth with its hardwired ability to integrate these two images into a 3D representation.

Want to bet a :beer: ? I'll happily wager a :beer: payable the first time we meet, (probably at NIWeek, but maybe not this year) that NI has work ongoing as of the date of this post.

As a typical Australian, I can never pass up a beer-related bet - you're on! But how do we determine the NI is "actively" working on it? Just having a patent and thinking about it in an ethereal way every now and then doesn't surmount to active development...

As a typical Australian, I can never pass up a beer-related bet - you're on! But how do we determine the NI is "actively" working on it? Just having a patent and thinking about it in an ethereal way every now and then doesn't surmount to active development...

We have a spy (not actually a spy but a LV Champion) headed that way latter this month!

Ed Dickens is headed down this month. We could ask him to look into this.

I'll post a suggestion to him in the Champions Forum. That does not mean we will get an answer we can share in public...

But then again it may be better not knowing!

Ben

We have a spy (not actually a spy but a LV Champion) headed that way latter this month!

I'll post a suggestion to him in the Champions Forum. That does not mean we will get an answer we can share in public...

Ben

I'll keep my eyes open.

I'm trying to get Phillip to give me the "insiders" tour of the campus, so you never know what I'll spy.

But as Ben said, I may not be able to post what I see in pubic.

Ed

Which 3D are we talking about here?

3D picture controls or graphs allow to display a and rotate objects as 3D objects projections but it is not 3D stereo vision where you need some way to send two different images one to each eye.

In the former case we see a flat image and the brain figures depth from perspectives and relative sizes. You see the same thing even with poor eyesight on one eye.

In the latter case the brain receives two images and then it can figure depth with its hardwired ability to integrate these two images into a 3D representation.

When I talked about 3D, actually I had the latter case in my mind because I actually had some heat more than a year ago about anaglyph image and even wanted to get something out of it... but I cooled down :) But I may still do it, it's not something huge, but it's fun. We drove one hour to see "The Polar Express" before Christmas in 2004 in the late night, it felt like a dream. :)

But I think if LabVIEW would go for 3D, the first case maybe more suitable?

Actually The Polar Express is using the polarized method, so different glasses than red/cyan glasses.

Irene

Well, I didn't (and don't) know if I'll win this bet, but I should have bet someone else that I could get you to take a :beer: bet, that part was a given

It isn't that important to me for it to be public, rather that the two "bet'ees" know who won so we know who buys the first round. If we really wanted to make the bet interesting we'd up the ante so that the loser buys the winner a beer, and then has to drink water for the first round. (rumor has it an aussie has to get pretty parched before they will drink H2O)

;-)

(rumor has it an aussie has to get pretty parched before they will drink H2O)

That's indeed true - infact, we brush our teeth in beer (and only the ladies rinse :) ) Once all the beer runs out, we'll drink water, and then when all the water's run out, we'd rather perish than drink Foster's...

That's indeed true - infact, we brush our teeth in beer (and only the ladies rinse :) ) Once all the beer runs out, we'll drink water, and then when all the water's run out, we'd rather perish than drink Foster's...

Hmmm, I've had it a couple of times. I would be happy to learn about real aussie beer if we ever meet. I've never been down under (yet) but was in Scotland a few times courtesy of Uncle Sam's Silent Service back in the early 80's, and developed a fondness for cider. Strongbow was the typical in the pubs, but I think Magner's was better. If only we could get real english fish & chips here in the states ...