things that have improved

i2dx

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sniff* Thanks Pete - now I'm even more homesick!! Here's another version, but it's not as good as the Aussie Children's Chior from teh QANTAS ads :)

Ah yes, you mean

(has video as well). Now my memories are flooding back as I recall playing this song on a dual register Yamaha organ when I was like 11 years old and singing it for my folks as I practised it. Those ABC Song Books were great fun to sing along to at home and in primary school.

Those were the days....

Peter

I've still got every ABC Song Book from 1980 to 1990! They *rock*!

hey! stop hijacking MY thread!

this is my last warning! I'll send you the LAVA vigilante justice squad! and I'll send you a virus, which will force your computer to print out all posts from alfa over and over again ... on all of your printers! :D

:beer:

Whilst I share your enthusiasm for application instances, it sure makes it a ###### to integrate VI-based tools :) (but it's worth it!!!)

Does this have anything to do with the fact that in 8.2, all my VIs now have windows titled "junk.vi on My Computer" instead of just "junk.vi"?

I read the thread about multiple projects being open at the same time, but it kinda went over my head. :o Where should I learn about application instances? :book:

Does this have anything to do with the fact that in 8.2, all my VIs now have windows titled "junk.vi on My Computer" instead of just "junk.vi"?

I read the thread about multiple projects being open at the same time, but it kinda went over my head. :o Where should I learn about application instances? :book:

yes, it has.

if you have multiple targets, each vi will show it's target in the lower left corner of the VI.

if you have e.g. 2 targets: Windows (My Computer) and a PDA target, you can open one VI in all thre application instances.

post-885-1161797474.png?width=400

post-885-1161797488.png?width=400

If you edit that VI and do not save the changes immediately, you will see the "sync" button in the toolbar.

post-885-1161797499.png?width=400

In case this has not been mentioned: I like the new file saving features. I can rename a vi without having to remember to delete the old one. Sometimes I want to rename a vi into something a little more descriptive. Sure reduces the number of 'old' vi's in my directory.

• 3 weeks later...

Found another minor improvement.

When you are using up/down arrows to increment/decrement values in a control, the increment value does not move from one power of 10 to another, e.g. increment from 1 to 10 and when 10 was reached (..7,8,9,10,20,30,...). In LV8.20 this is now ...7,8,9,10,11,12,13....

The change is actually that the cursor position is kept at the same position from right instead of left.

/J

The change is actually that the cursor position is kept at the same position from right instead of left.

Sure does - and to help out those who haven't used this feature before: click in a numeric (or array position) control then use the up/down keyboard arrow. The value will increase/decrease based on where you clicked (ie: if the number in the control was, say, 1000, and you clicked on the tens column, then pressing hte up arrow would increment 1010, 1020, 1030, etc).

I like the improvemnts to the auto-wiring functions. INI file functions will wire both the erro cluster and the file ref. Good.

The "Insert" is also smarter. Click on an error cluster wire and do an "insert" it wires the cluster. Nice.

Ben

Cool info Ben. The insert>bundle by name or insert>bundle is working as expected now. Nice :thumbup:

Too bad that while they were at it, they did not fix the insert>unbundle by name or insert>unbundle.

But this is nice that NI is finaly working on the insert menu (and it need a lot of work).

PJM

click in a numeric ... The value will increase/decrease based on where you clicked (ie: if ... you clicked on the tens column, ... would increment 1010, 1020, 1030, etc).

Oh sweet. I missed this one during beta, but was wishing for a way to do this for a while now. That and things like the "bundle cluster in error wire insertion" is really making the LabVIEW editing feel a lot more intelligent these days.

Too bad that while they were at it, they did not fix the insert>unbundle by name or insert>unbundle.

I think it has to do with the order of inputs of the 'unbundle vi'-code. and the way insert works. I think it inserts between the first input and the first output.

Rearranging the input/output order might break old code?

Oh sweet. I missed this one during beta, but was wishing for a way to do this for a while now. That and things like the "bundle cluster in error wire insertion" is really making the LabVIEW editing feel a lot more intelligent these days.

I think this was present in 7?

I must admit I kinda like the new palettes, only if it could be possible if I can start directly in the 'Programming' palette.

Ton

Here is another new one for me.

I often am asked to "just" make a small change to horendous code developed by others.

Following long wires in a diagram is made easier by triple-clicking but as soon as you click off of the wire, you can get lost again.

You can now pop-up on the wire and add a description that shows up when the help window is open and you float over the wire with the wiring tool.

post-29-1164382931.jpg?width=400

I wonder how long this has been around.

Ben