the power of electricity

i2dx

this is a video of a 500kV switch opening

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Warning: Do not try to do this at home, only try this at work. Do NOT use NI switching devices when trying that at work!

I found an other remarkable video:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5PvIPgJGx0"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5PvIPgJGx0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5PvIPgJGx0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

QUOTE(i2dx @ Apr 23 2007, 11:03 PM)

I found an other remarkable video...

I wonder if the symmetry always breaks in a same way i.e. so that the same canister always gets the positive charge and the other the negative charge or is it truly random. The system construction can never be 100% symmetric, so this would indicate in my intuition that the symmetry break always happens to the same direction. Also the potential difference may not complitely unload during the spark so that the system indeed can be initially charged. This would make the phenomenon easier to initiate. I wonder if all components of the system are initially grounded and then the water flow is initiated and only then the grouding is removed, would we still see this phenomenon or will the grouding make the symmetry break too long to take. Has anybody played with these things?

QUOTE(i2dx @ Apr 23 2007, 03:16 PM)

this is a video of a 500kV switch opening

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXiOQCRiSp0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXiOQCRiSp0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Warning: Do not try to do this at home, only try this at work. Do NOT use NI switching devices when trying that at work!

I have to admit that is the largest "Jacobs Ladder" I have ever seen. Frankenstien would have bee pleased.

About three weeks ago I was touring a cust facility that builds BIG ckt breakers.

I witnessed a test of one of their breakers and loved it!

The breaker tripped at 32K Amps with fire, sparks, flames.

As as I was walking to the next building I explained to the group that the electrician that had recently installed a new service entrance to my home insisted that it would not pass inspection as long as there was a toilet in the corner of my basement. The test I witnessed made it clear why I had to go through what my wife called the "de-bathification" project.

Sorry about no pictures to share but I do have a memory that should last a life time.

Ben

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Apr 24 2007, 08:56 PM)

I'm jealous, as a research scientist our projects evolve and never really end....

I used to be a research physicist (some of the best times of my short life) - now I apply science to test and measurement - the best of both worlds :)

QUOTE(crelf @ Apr 24 2007, 09:44 AM)

I used to be a research physicist (some of the best times of my short life) - now I apply science to test and measurement - the best of both worlds :)

Same here.

Yes the adentures were fun but there was no oppertunity to say "NO".

As a contractor. I can hit my customers with a big "$$" to convince them that they really do not want to do that.

Ben

QUOTE(crelf @ Apr 24 2007, 04:44 PM)

I'm a physicist too from my education. I worked for a few years for the industry, not in the field of physics but in IT R&D. I planned new technology and business concepts together with a handful of startups. I returned back to research world as the projects in a large enterprise were not challenging enough mostly because our enterprise never had money to actually implement anything. However I gave up physics and now work on Bio-IT, a field of applying IT to biosciencens. The work is challenging now, although the resources are not the same as they were in the industry. So much time is consumed in constant funding applications, one after another. That's frustrating.

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Apr 24 2007, 07:02 AM)

...So much time is consumed in constant funding applications, one after another. That's frustrating.

I used to work in research too (for about 9 years). While the work was challenging (understatement here), the end result was basically as follow: Do research so we can get more funding to do research so we can get more funding do to ...

I eventually got tired of this and decide to join the other side where people are actually using my work for doing stuff, not just for getting more funding.

PJM

QUOTE(PJM_labview @ Apr 24 2007, 04:58 PM)

Do research so we can get more funding to do research so we can get more funding do to ...

after all, research is a business, too: it kreates knowledge. And if you want to succedd in your business, you have to sell something. Ok, in research, you don't have a product you can / have to sell, but you sell the promise to deliver *deeper* knowledge.

someone has to pay the bill and last but not least, you can't drink E=mc² ... ;)

cheers

CB

QUOTE(PJM_labview @ Apr 24 2007, 10:58 AM)

I used to work in research too (for about 9 years). While the work was challenging (understatement here), the end result was basically as follow: Do research so we can get more funding to do research so we can get more funding do to ...

I eventually got tired of this and decide to join the other side where people are actually using my work for doing stuff, not just for getting more funding.

PJM

My experience in R&D was a bit better. It was for a medical manufacturing company. I guess the operative word is "manufacturing", but I got the best of both worlds: R&D with an end and a new product, then moving on to the next new product. Nowdays the "R&D" is writing code to make LV do things I've never seen before. :)

Here's the page I was looking for:

http://teslamania.delete.org/frames/frameindex.html

Click on the Big Arcs and Sparks link

That arc in the Nevada substation was 100 feet in length! Look down to the 3rd or 4th topic on that Arc/Spark page for a description of that test.

There's also some cool videos regarding high power tests and disasters, click on the images to play the videos.