CLD....1,2,3?

Hello LAVA,

While I'm sitting here biting my nails waiting for the results of my CLD test, I was very impatiently wondering...

I've heard from several posts here and in the NI forums that failing the first time was not unheard of. How many times did it take you (people that took the CLD exam and passed it eventually) to become certified? I feel that if more people knew the "track record" of the CLD (heck, even the CLAD or CLA exams!) the level of nervousnous might go down just a *wee* bit. :unsure:

Joe "orko" Sines

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I failed in the first exam.

reason #1: lack of dokumentation

reason #2: allmost no dokumentation

reason #3: I should have read the tasks and objectives ;)

reason #4: I tried to implement a queued state machine with event handling and ran out of time. The best way to solve the task is to use a simple state machine with an enum

take yourself the time and add tip-strips and dokumentation to EACH control on the FP, add comments to every wire longer then 20 px on the BD, especially those who go into shift registers. Use the documentation field in the VI properties for the main VI and - if you have some, the sub VIs ...

take yourself the time to read the tasks and objectives carefully!

think twice before you use an local variable, there should be a way to avoid it. do not use property nodes, except there is no other way to do that, e.g. a blinking control ...

After I learned my lesson, I passed the exam with 98%, I got 2 % discount, because missing labels on a BD constant => for (int i=0, i<100, i++) {printf("add documentation to everything!");}

BTW: has anyone tips for the CLA? I have my first try it in June => I am sitting here and eat up my fingernais ;)

I failed my first CLD last year because :

#1 Lack of experience

#2 I was not appropriately prepared

#3 I was much too slow (because of my lack of experience and also because I was not appropriately prepare for this type of exam)

oups... I'm going round :rolleyes:

I took the exam again last friday and now expect the result quietly. I had time to prepare myself, to train to do a small state machine with enum in a short time, to, first do a template vi with error handling + empty text for documentation + specific icon + documentation filled with "date, author, project".

QUOTE(i2dx @ May 15 2007, 01:25 AM)

... reason #4: I tried to implement a queued state machine with event handling and ran out of time. The best way to solve the task is to use a simple state machine with an enum ...

:thumbup: :worship: :yes: :laugh: :thumbup: :worship:

QUOTE(skof @ May 15 2007, 05:27 PM)

To don't create a new topic... I'm going to take my CLAD test next Wednesday. What is your experience with CLAD (if you still remember that :) )? I've passed NI LabView Fundamentals online exam, does it about the same as CLAD test or CLAD is more difficult?

When I took the CLAD the exam was quite similar to the blank exam on the web, maybe the real exams cover more different subjects that the online exam, but there isn't a huge gap between the two.

Good luck !

QUOTE(skof @ May 15 2007, 10:27 AM)

To don't create a new topic... I'm going to take my CLAD test next Wednesday. What is your experience with CLAD (if you still remember that :) )? I've passed NI LabView Fundamentals online exam, does it about the same as CLAD test or CLAD is more difficult?

Be ready to encounter some qustion that are not in the web Exam,and some tricky question.And dont forget to sleep well B4 the Exam :rolleyes: Good Luck.

Ohiofudu

CLAD

QUOTE(ohiofudu @ May 15 2007, 09:23 AM)

Be ready to encounter some qustion that are not in the web Exam,and some tricky question.

I found that there were a number of questions on the CLAD that required you to really *read* the text/block diagram (more than once!) to not get tricked into the wrong answer. Be very careful when presented with a question that seems "way too easy". Also be aware that there may be questions that are very similar to the CLAD prep exam, but not necessarily exactly the same...

I also found that the hour that they gave me was plenty of time (I finished up with 20 minutes to spare) so make sure (if you are taking the computer based exam) that you mark any questions that you aren't 100% sure of as "review" with that little checkbox. That way you can carefully go over them at the end and catch all of those "tricky" questions.

Good luck!

Joe

QUOTE(skof @ May 15 2007, 11:27 AM)

Actually, I DO remember it quite well ... it wasn't that long ago. :) There are quite a few "trick" questions. READ each question very carefully. The CLAD throws an occasional curve-ball if you're not paying attention. Know the differences between graphs, charts, For and While loops, etc., that sort of thing. Just take a few practice exams and study the areas you are weak in. You should do just fine. :thumbup:

QUOTE(LV Punk @ May 16 2007, 08:02 AM)

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5881

I feel your pain...

If you have a good grasp of state machines and timing, and are quick at looking at a problem and diving into the solution, you'll be fine. Oh, and make sure to document everything!

I took the CLD prep course before I took mine (last Thursday, May 10th) and I believe that helped out a lot. Make sure to go through all of the CLD sample exams, that saved me a lot of design time on the exam.

QUOTE(orko @ May 16 2007, 11:15 AM)

I'll have to go through some of the practice exams myself before I dive into the CLD exam, supposedly sometime this summer. I always thought the only thing separating me from a CLD is a few months of steady coding on various projects in different areas. I can usually come up with a solution to just about anything ... but in the CLD you only get 4 hours. :o Sometimes I need 4 days. :)

QUOTE(Thang Nguyen @ May 17 2007, 12:56 AM)

Could you tell me more detailed about documentation? Is it the comments in the block diagram?

Yes but not only, it is also:

- the VI documentation press ctrl + i to open the "VI properies", then go to "documentation", there you can describe what the VI does (this will be what you'll see in the context help)

- the VI icon, double click on the icon to edit it

- the tip strips on front panel controls and indicators, right clic on the control and go to "documentation"

If you do this for all you VIs, put a label for any constant, and place text all over the place to describe you code, then you'll easily get a very good mark for the documentation part.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(orko @ May 15 2007, 11:40 AM)

I found that there were a number of questions on the CLAD that required you to really *read* the text/block diagram (more than once!) to not get tricked into the wrong answer. Be very careful when presented with a question that seems "way too easy". Also be aware that there may be questions that are very similar to the CLAD prep exam, but not necessarily exactly the same...

I also found that the hour that they gave me was plenty of time (I finished up with 20 minutes to spare) so make sure (if you are taking the computer based exam) that you mark any questions that you aren't 100% sure of as "review" with that little checkbox. That way you can carefully go over them at the end and catch all of those "tricky" questions.

Good luck!

Joe

I've passed the CLAD test! Many of questions were ...er unexpected. Like you never think about some staff when you have LabView at hand.

Thank you Joe for your piece of advice regarding the questions "review", that helped me a lot. :worship: I've changed many of my not 100% sure answers and looks like I've done that correct way! ;)

QUOTE(skof @ May 26 2007, 11:32 PM)

I've passed the CLAD test! Many of questions were ...er unexpected. Like you never think about some staff when you have LabView at hand.

Thank you Joe for your piece of advice regarding the questions "review", that helped me a lot. :worship: I've changed many of my not 100% sure answers and looks like I've done that correct way! ;)

skof,

Congratulations :thumbup: hope you had some :beer: to celebrate mate!!!

ohiofudu

CLAD

I had my CLD exam last friday. It wasn't too difficult but the time was very critical. I almost didn't make it in thos 4 hours, I finished just on time. There are few small bugs that I found later on but generally all requiremens werdone. If you want to keep good style and well documented project you must do the project very quickly. There is no time for mistakes, corrections or improval. I hope to get good results within next 2-3 weeks.