2007 LAVA / OpenG NI-Week BBQ

crelf

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(yen @ Jul 27 2007, 04:52 AM)

Yes, yes she is. She's much more easy on the eyes than Jim is...

QUOTE(yen @ Jul 27 2007, 04:52 AM)

I'm expecting to collect a bunch of pens at NIWeek which I could donate.

Can you get a big box of those neat little NI screwdrivers? Although I'm not sure the winner will be able to take those on as cabin luggage...

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Jul 25 2007, 03:29 PM)

JKI would like to donate one VI Package Manager 1.1 Professional Edition license with one-year support and upgrades.

I would like to personally donate one signed copy of LabVIEW for Everyone.

Jim,

You should bring a few "extra" copies of your book. I'm sure some people may want to buy a signed copy during NI Week. (Myself included).

I read through this thread and didn't see the cost for the BBQ.. (Don't have a PayPall account, yet)..

QUOTE(JoeLabview @ Jul 30 2007, 12:08 AM)

I can only imagine the extra weight with the size of that baby!

QUOTE(JoeLabview @ Jul 30 2007, 12:08 AM)

I read through this thread and didn't see the cost for the BBQ.

It's $30 - the info is on the eVite page linked from the first post in this thread.

QUOTE(crelf @ Jul 29 2007, 07:48 PM)

I can only imagine the extra weight with the size of that baby!

Yeah, last week I actually considered borrowing a copy and flipping through it on the flight(s) to Austin to see if it's worth buying, but then I realized I would probably be fined for overweight. ;)

QUOTE(yen @ Jul 30 2007, 03:09 AM)

Yeah, last week I actually considered borrowing a copy and flipping through it on the flight(s) to Austin...

Borrowing?!?! You don't already have your own copy? It's called "LabVIEW for Everyone" - do you consider your self a no-one? :D

QUOTE(crelf @ Jul 29 2007, 09:47 PM)

Borrowing?!?! You don't already have your own copy? It's called "LabVIEW for Everyone" - do you consider your self a no-one? :D

To be honest, I did take a few minutes to flip through that copy I was planning on borrowing and, while it is very impressive, I didn't find anything that struck me as too useful for me personally. I wanted to take more time to review it more deeply.

QUOTE(JoeLabview @ Jul 29 2007, 07:08 AM)

Jim,

You should bring a few "extra" copies of your book. I'm sure some people may want to buy a signed copy during NI Week. (Myself included).

I read through this thread and didn't see the cost for the BBQ.. (Don't have a PayPall account, yet)..

Hi Joe,

I *might* have a couple extra copies on me, but no promises -- last year I carried a box of books around with me and my back has just finally recovered from the experience. That said, if you bring a copy of the book, I would be more than happy to sign it for you (for free, of course). JKI will be in booth 341 (in the back of the expo floor near the LabVIEW community area) and I'll be there a good fraction of the conference.

Cheers,

-Jim

Hey guys,

The invite managed to find its way my direction. I'd really like to meet you guys, so I'm going to try to make it. A few questions I have:

1. Originally you mentioned seats were limited, but it looks like over 60 people have accepted the evite already! How many seats are there?
  2. By when do I need to pre-pay?
  3. Any guesses as to when the group would arrive at the Salt Lick? I probably won't be coming from the convention center. Based on your departure time, the distance, and the beer run, I'm guessing you would get there between 6:45 - 7 pm?

Thanks!

Jeff

QUOTE(Jeff B @ Jul 31 2007, 04:56 AM)

We've already gone over the expected head-count, so I've moved us to a bigger room :)

By when do I need to pre-pay?

There's no real cut off, but I'd really prefer it if you paid this week sometime - that means I can do PayPal transfers in time.

Any guesses as to when the group would arrive at the Salt Lick?

6:45pm - 7:00pm is an excellent guess: we have the room booked for 7pm, and based on previous beer-buying time, we sould be there around that time.

I hope you can make it - looking at previous years, it's going to be a blast! :thumbup:

QUOTE(njkirchner @ Aug 2 2007, 06:16 AM)

Don't toy w/ me.... I just can't handle it

You're absoltuely right - what I said just wasn't funny - It's OK Norm - there'll be plenty of beer for you mate.

Quick update: this year is going to be the BIGGEST LAVA/OpenG BBQ ever! We've already had 65 people register and pay :thumbup:

Getting to the Salt Lick

We've had a huuuuuuuge rise in numbers this year, so our BBQ is going to be bigger than ever. This means that the bus is going to have overflow, so if there's going to be anyone coming that has their own car, it'd be really appreciated if you could not only get yourself to the Salt Lick, but also offer up a seat or two in your car to get another attendee there as well (Who knows? Maybe it'll be the start of a beautiful friendship :) )

If you do have a car and are willing to take a person or three, please be waiting out with the bus at 5:45pm so we can shepard people your way. You can get directions from the convention centre to the Salt Lick here.

If you can help out, please reply here so we can get an idea of how many cars we need.

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Aug 3 2007, 09:54 PM)

crelf, don't forget that there are TWO Salt Lick locations. Make sure the directions are to the correct one. We have more people this year so we are going to be at the big place right?

Edit: Just confirmed with crelf. He's got the right address.

Is that by reference or by value?

GREAT NEWS! Jeffrey Philips from NI just called me: he got us a second bus :thumbup: Please make sure you're waiting outside the Austin Convention Center on Trinity Street (the north west corner of the building) at 5:45pm sharp!

QUOTE(njkirchner @ Aug 7 2007, 02:06 AM)

I thought we left it on the bus last year. Did anyone come pick it up?

We've found it (or, at least, we know where it is). ;)

QUOTE(crelf @ Aug 6 2007, 03:13 PM)

GREAT NEWS! Jeffrey Philips from NI just called me: he got us a second bus :thumbup: Please make sure you're waiting outside the Austin Convention Center on Trinity Street (the north west corner of the building) at 5:45pm sharp!

We've found it (or, at least, we know where it is). ;)

Wow!

Two buses loaded with engineers and scientists. I hope there aren't any flat tires on the way because it would takes days to settle if an object or component oriented approach should be used. Even worse if there was an electrical problem. Someone would hit ctrl-b and the next thing you know they will have to call for a backup!

Have fun all!

Ben

I'd like to join the fray but this year the whole family is here, and I got the kids passes to come in and watch the Lego Robotics event. Chris, any chance we could join up later on? We've got our own wheels for this trip. Needless to say, I didn't pre-register, so if we come we'd be paying for our food on our own.

As I write this, I'm waiting for the exhibit hall to open up. Been in class all day. I'll look for replies later on this evening.

Best wishes,

Dave