Password HELP

QUOTE (tcplomp @ Jun 9 2008, 04:51 PM)

You're chances certainly aren't good :) This would be the perfect time to get your last version back out of SCC. You could try a LabVIEW brute force attack, but unless you have an idea of what the password is, it could to take a loooooooooong time (the password function in LabVIEW has a built-in 100ms(?) pause to make brute force cracking difficult).

QUOTE (neB @ Jun 9 2008, 05:57 PM)

I believe VI's are better the second time I write them.

I remember a time a few years ago when I'd been working on a toolkit for about 10 hours, and then (through a drastic server failure or my own stupidity, I don't remember, must have been the former) I lost all the work of the day. I rode home, all cranky, and the thought of a much much simplier and intuative method. When I got home, I spent 45 minutes coding it up and was much happier. Maybe we all need a crash occasionally? :P

QUOTE (crelf @ Jun 9 2008, 03:54 PM)

Back in high school I screwed up while changing the batteries in my TI-85 calculator and cleared the memory, losing a "Football" (American, not the other kind) game I'd written. It was really cool and took up something like half the memory in the calculator. I nearly cried, right there in my Great Books class.

Then I spent the entire weekend (at an honor choir thing, for what it's worth) rewriting it from scratch. And it was better :).

I also remember that the date it happened was 2/26/93. That's because I got home and found out the World Trade Center had been bombed, and I thought, "Gee, I guess someone else had a worse day than me."

And that's my story.

QUOTE (tcplomp @ Jun 10 2008, 12:07 AM)

So how do Ben's initial programs look like?

Ton

They bear a strong resemblence to ones and zeros floating randomly off into that big bit bucket in the sky.

Sea Story Time: (I don't think I have shared this one on LAVA yet)

I used to work as district support for DEC specializing in large disk drives. After spending an evening working with a customer to recover (well sorta) from a disk crash, one of the engineers described his adventures as follows;

"

After rebuilding the drive and running diagonstics the drive looked OK. So we put the customers backup pack in the drive and it mounted fine. We were standing behind the disk drive cabinet and we noticed what looked like a cloud of fine brown dust coming out of the back of the drive.

The customer looked at me and asked "What is that?"

I replied, "Data".

"

Story orignally told by Bill Thomas of Digital Equipment Corporation.

Ben

QUOTE (Justin Goeres @ Jun 9 2008, 07:16 PM)

Ahhh programming calculators. A friend and I once spent most of a weekend programming our HP-48GX's to play our High Schools fight song and then proudly held them up to the microphone at the next pep assembly for the whole school to hear. We were geeks without shame (maybe I should not have put that in the past tense). :)

I still have a couple of those graphic calculators (with the instruction manual, of course), although I must admit I was never geeky enough to program seriously in them. I did do a bit of programming in boring classes, but if memory serves, it was mostly animations.

QUOTE (TobyD @ Jun 10 2008, 08:30 AM)

A friend and I once spent most of a weekend programming our HP-48GX's to play our High Schools fight song

I just gave away an old HP-48SX (which technically wasn't mine -- I acquired it accidentally in an end-of-year roommate shuffle in college) a few weeks ago. The lady I gave it to said she was getting for her husband: "His old 48SX broke, and he keeps telling me he doesn't want any of the new calculators, so I'm going to surprise him with this."

QUOTE (Justin Goeres @ Jun 10 2008, 11:18 AM)

I just gave away an old HP-48SX (which technically wasn't mine -- I acquired it accidentally in an end-of-year roommate shuffle in college) a few weeks ago. The lady I gave it to said she was getting for her husband: "His old 48SX broke, and he keeps telling me he doesn't want any of the new calculators, so I'm going to surprise him with this."

I still think the HP48 series were the best calculators ever made. Not the fastest, but the best. I finally sold my 48GX on ebay a couple months ago for $140. I paid $100 for it used in 1994. I guess there are a lot of land surveyors who use the GX's and they haven't been made for years so there is quite a market for them. I do pretty much all of my calculating on the PC nowadays so I didn't really use it anymore.

QUOTE (crelf @ Jun 10 2008, 08:33 PM)

"SHIBBOLETH" It took me a couple of minutes to remember were I heard that word before. It was the Old Testament version of a sign I spotted in a Simpson episode that read;

"Noone who uses the word NUCULAR permitted beyond this point."

Ben