Tab behavior with multiple tab rows

QUOTE (george seifert @ Jan 14 2009, 08:32 AM)

I have three rows of tabs in my tab control. When I select a tab the row that it's on moves to the bottom row. That seems to be pretty standard behavior. I think I'd like it better if the rows stayed put. I've been through all the properties I can find, but none of them address that behavior. Can the rows be made to stay put?

George

I don't think I like this idea... the Tab Control is supposed to simulate a roll-a-dex. Thus, the current tab is frontmost as it should be.

To get the behavior your looking for, you could hide the tabs and use a cluster of booleans to select the visible tab. I attached a simple example to play with if your interested.

QUOTE (george seifert @ Jan 14 2009, 09:32 AM)

I have three rows of tabs in my tab control. When I select a tab the row that it's on moves to the bottom row. That seems to be pretty standard behavior. I think I'd like it better if the rows stayed put.

I agree with George. I don't like the fact that the tabs move around.

QUOTE (Gary Rubin @ Jan 14 2009, 08:00 AM)

I agree with George. I don't like the fact that the tabs move around.

I've never really liked it, but every GUI that I've ever seen has the row with the selected tab move to the front row so I'd stick with that (everyone else does it so it must be OK...right?).

QUOTE (Dan DeFriese @ Jan 14 2009, 09:57 AM)

To get the behavior your looking for, you could hide the tabs and use a cluster of booleans to select the visible tab. I attached a simple example to play with if your interested.

Hmm, interesting idea. I'll have to think about that.

What would be nice is if the rows stayed put and the tab changed color. I guess the changing color part is already possible.

I have too many tabs (zillions of registers to display) for them all to fit on one row as someone suggested. And having arrow keys to move through the tabs in a single row I think is worse than having the rows change position.

George

QUOTE (Dan DeFriese @ Jan 14 2009, 09:57 AM)

Hmm, interesting idea. I'll have to think about that.

What would be nice is if the rows stayed put and the tab changed color. I guess the changing color part is already possible.

I have too many tabs (zillions of registers to display) for them all to fit on one row as someone suggested. And having arrow keys to move through the tabs in a single row I think is worse than having the rows change position.

George

QUOTE (Phillip Brooks @ Jan 14 2009, 12:31 PM)

If you think about it, the tabs for the second and third rows would be covered when selecting the top row, hiding them and making them 'unselectable'?!.

Yep, much more to the point than my explanation :worship: .

What about a listbox with a tab control without tabs?

:thumbup: My preference as well. :oops: The page ordering is wrong in the example, but I think the point it clear.

QUOTE (Phillip Brooks @ Jan 14 2009, 12:31 PM)

If you think about it, the tabs for the second and third rows would be covered when selecting the top row, hiding them and making them 'unselectable'?!.

Yep, much more to the point than my explanation :worship: .

What about a listbox with a tab control without tabs?

:thumbup: My preference as well. :oops: The page ordering is wrong in the example, but I think the point it clear.

QUOTE (TobyD @ Jan 14 2009, 11:11 AM)

I've never really liked it, but every GUI that I've ever seen has the row with the selected tab move to the front row so I'd stick with that (everyone else does it so it must be OK...right?).

Right - all UI tabs that I know of do it, and while it may be initially unintuitive, the fact that they all do it eventually makes it intuitive :P

QUOTE (TobyD @ Jan 14 2009, 11:11 AM)

Right - all UI tabs that I know of do it, and while it may be initially unintuitive, the fact that they all do it eventually makes it intuitive :P

QUOTE (PJM_labview @ Jan 14 2009, 12:46 PM)

I agree. I think they are the front panel equivalent of the sequence structure...

PJM

So how do I display tons of information? I have way too much to put on one front panel. The only other thing I can think of is to have a bunch of different windows full of indicators. That seems a lot less desirable than a tab control.

George

QUOTE (PJM_labview @ Jan 14 2009, 12:46 PM)

I agree. I think they are the front panel equivalent of the sequence structure...

PJM

So how do I display tons of information? I have way too much to put on one front panel. The only other thing I can think of is to have a bunch of different windows full of indicators. That seems a lot less desirable than a tab control.

George

QUOTE (george seifert @ Jan 14 2009, 01:10 PM)

George

IMHO, after a certain point (judgment call) it becomes easier to maintain multiple VIs with their own catagory of data. Use a subpanel on the main GUI to select which is visible at any time.

QUOTE (george seifert @ Jan 14 2009, 01:10 PM)

George

IMHO, after a certain point (judgment call) it becomes easier to maintain multiple VIs with their own catagory of data. Use a subpanel on the main GUI to select which is visible at any time.