OO solution accepted for Certified LV Developer exam!

Congrats,

I know you had mentioned this kind of thing before on the NI site (All VIs are objects) but I thought even you referred to it as a theoretical exercise at the time. Now I really want to see your code......

Makes me very curious as to the question and answer.....

Shane.

A BOOK in your future. "Object Oriented Programming in LabVIEW"

That's a *great* idea! I would *soooooo* buy that! What do you think Stephen?

I just got my grades for the Certified LV Developer exam. Passed! Woot!

Congrats mate - when's the CLA scheduled? You should be able to kick that one in the arse...

I turned in a pure OO solution to the problem.

I wonder if the person marking your exam freaked out, and thought "crap - I have no idea what these funny coloured wires are! This guy gets an A+!"

You were being worked on by who?
*grin* I should clarify... the biggest *software* time sink is being worked on.
That's a *great* idea! I would *soooooo* buy that! What do you think Stephen?
I think I'm having a hard time finding enough time to get my NI Week presentation written. I would like to do a book sort of thing, but I suspect that the design patterns and the "decisions behind the design" docs are about as large as I'll ever bite off in a single chunk.
I know you had mentioned this kind of thing before on the NI site (All VIs are objects) but I thought even you referred to it as a theoretical exercise at the time. Now I really want to see your code......

Makes me very curious as to the question and answer.....

My opinion: All applications can be designed as every VI is a member of some class. Not all (but still most) applications can be implemented with every VI as a member of some class. Sometimes the class is too much overhead to actually translate the class in the design into an actual class in the implementation. But it works for most applications, and it turned out to work for the CLD exam question. Indeed, all three (1, 2, 3) of the sample questions for the CLD appear to be in the set of apps that are amenable to full OO implementation.

The exercise I posted that was purely theoretical was that all data crossing any conpane boundary can be a class.

My opinion: All applications can be designed as every VI is a member of some class. Not all (but still most) applications can be implemented with every VI as a member of some class. Sometimes the class is too much overhead to actually translate the class in the design into an actual class in the implementation. But it works for most applications, and it turned out to work for the CLD exam question. Indeed, all three (1, 2, 3) of the sample questions for the CLD appear to be in the set of apps that are amenable to full OO implementation.

The exercise I posted that was purely theoretical was that all data crossing any conpane boundary can be a class.

AQ: I've been really impressed by the ongoing forward progress of LVOOP and how it is consistently filling in more functional gaps and improving the edit-time experience. And, I'm especially excited about the next release of LabVIEW. The fact that you took and passed the CLD exam and implemented your solution in pure LVOOP is a testament to your passion, commitment, and worthiness of the title: LabVIEW Advanced Virtual Architect :)

You Rock!

Congratulations, Stephen. It would certainly be useful to see a relevant example, maybe based on one of the sample exams.

When will native OO be available for cRIO?

It would not be unreasonable to assume that NI is already working on this.

Great! When will native OO be available for cRIO? I am currently using 8.6.

I do not generally promise future features, but last year at NI Week, for the first time on any topic, I went so far as to say that classes would be on RT in the next version of LabVIEW even if that meant trying to hold up the entire LV release until it was ready. I can't say anything further except to say that I'm spending this week writing NI Week presentations, not working on LV features. ;-)
  • Like 1

Congrats on the CLD and I want to underscore the book idea. This is something that NI should consider to be a priority IMO. After all the biggest criticism of LV is that it's a "toy" and that's largely because it isn't seen as a real support of OO. The status of LVOOP is now directly challenging that belief and writing the book on it would be a good opportunity for NI to communicate clearly just how capable LV really is.

It would also give me a really nice running start at getting on board with it....

Seriously you code develop the code (as you've done) and someone on NI's staff to ghost the text and/or you could team up with someone (like Jim Kring) and do "LVOOP for Everyone".

• Like 2

Congrats on the CLD and I want to underscore the book idea. This is something that NI should consider to be a priority IMO. After all the biggest criticism of LV is that it's a "toy" and that's largely because it isn't seen as a real support of OO. The status of LVOOP is now directly challenging that belief and writing the book on it would be a good opportunity for NI to communicate clearly just how capable LV really is.

It would also give me a really nice running start at getting on board with it....

Seriously you code develop the code (as you've done) and someone on NI's staff to ghost the text and/or you could team up with someone (like Jim Kring) and do "LVOOP for Everyone".

I think there is a world of knowledge and possiblities in OO in LV. Just look at all the different implementations (by reference, by value, LVOOP, GOOP, Endevo, etc., etc. blink.gif ). The whole topic is overwhelming and a little intimidating. Some of us are still a little too nervous to jump right in simply due to the number of choices. I think it would be good if NI took the lead (hint hint) and really worked on some training material in OO programming and the native LV OO implementation. If NI leaves it up to us we will only offer only more choices and implementations. This will lead to a handful of gurus and the rest of us scratching our heads or paying someone else to do what we should be able to do on our own if we only had just a little more info ...

I think there is a world of knowledge and possiblities in OO in LV. Just look at all the different implementations (by reference, by value, LVOOP, GOOP, Endevo, etc., etc. blink.gif ). The whole topic is overwhelming and a little intimidating. Some of us are still a little too nervous to jump right in simply due to the number of choices. I think it would be good if NI took the lead (hint hint) and really worked on some training material in OO programming and the native LV OO implementation.
Done!

1. There's been an OO training course available for a year now. Ask your local sales engineer to sign you up!
  2. We have a really really really good Fundamentals of OO document that is part of LabVIEW's online help -- and has been since we first released in LV 8.2... the tech writer won awards for that bit of documentation. It is both a "why should I do this" and a "how do I do this" manual.
  3. Online, we have the LVOOP FAQ and the Details Behind The Design documents, both of which have been updated for each LV release.
  4. The Design Patterns document on the community forums was developed specifically to bridge text programmers into LabVOOP.

Go ye forth and learn! :-)

• Like 1

I think I'm having a hard time finding enough time to get my NI Week presentation written. I would like to do a book sort of thing, but I suspect that the design patterns and the "decisions behind the design" docs are about as large as I'll ever bite off in a single chunk.

Get a ghost writer! Everyone does it! I'd recommend this person, who appears to be the most intelligent writer of our time. And he writes sci-fi, which is kind of like programming.

5dkGc.gif

More info on the author and the book.

Get a ghost writer! Everyone does it! I'd recommend this person, who appears to be the most intelligent writer of our time. And he writes sci-fi, which is kind of like programming.

What's amazing is the high ratings the book receives on Amazon. I had to laugh when I read this reader review... laugh.gif

This is a book. And Also its a Good book, one to read. The auther who goes by the Name of Daryl M. Corteney really has a nack for Good science Fiction telling. Also the Story.

Now I dont want too Give to much away. In my review, So your going to have to. Read, the Book you're self. But serve ice it to Say, your going to Read some things here. That you really did'nt expect. I Took one star Off for being Short and Singlespaced. But hey.

• 2 weeks later...

worshippy.gif Impressive!

I see something ... it's cloudy ... getting clearer .... I see ... A BOOK! Yes! A BOOK in your future. "Object Oriented Programming in LabVIEW"

can i get downloader link of above book i.e "Object Oriented Programming in LabVIEW"

• 5 months later...

I just got my grades for the Certified LV Developer exam. Passed! Woot! ...

I'll be serving Koolaid at NI Week. ;-)

I just got the word that I pased the CLA re-certification exam.... after having submitted a LVOOP solution.

Koolaid, it would take a gallon of jungle juice to cancel the effect of teh adrenalin I'm experiencing right now.

Woot and double-woot!

Ben

PS: Discalimer!

I am certain my LVOOP solution did not earn me a pile of points, but at least the LVOOP app did not LOOSE too many points.

Edited by neBulus
  • Like 2