Multiple Patterns in LabView File Dialog

Just a sidenote, even if you remove the "All Files" selector, a user can still display all files by typing "*.*" into the field and pressing Enter (on Windows, anyway).

Let's see if this image looks better:

post-941-127292431924_thumb.png

How it works better...

The \00 is the NULL chracter, you have to switch to '\' Coded Display, to get it working.

This is the string you can use to tweak the File Dialog bevaviour.

*.txt;*.doc;*.html)\00*.txt;*.doc;*.html;\00Image\sfiles\s(*.png;*.jpg)\00*.png;*.jpg\00\00

I'm not sure why it works, and if it always will be supported but it's quite good feature.

//Mikael

Edited by MikaelH
  • Like 1

*.txt;*.doc;*.html)\00*.txt;*.doc;*.html;\00Image\sfiles\s(*.png;*.jpg)\00*.png;*.jpg\00\00

I'm not sure why it works, and if it always will be supported but it's quite good feature.

That's the format of a string which can be passed right into Windows API for a common Open/Close/Save dialog (anyone who's used Visual Basic or CMNDLG32.DLL should recognize it), so it won't be changing anytime soon. I only presume that NI works some magic in the background to ensure cross-platform compatibility, but I have no particular experience myself.

That's the format of a string which can be passed right into Windows API for a common Open/Close/Save dialog (anyone who's used Visual Basic or CMNDLG32.DLL should recognize it), so it won't be changing anytime soon. I only presume that NI works some magic in the background to ensure cross-platform compatibility, but I have no particular experience myself.

I haven't tried this but would strongly guess, that this is really just a Windows feature and by coincidence rather than by design. If it was designed that way they certainly would have made it more user friendly.