NI USB 845x SPI Problem

Go to solution Solved by Dawid,

Hello everyone,

I have a small problem with SPI communication. I'm using NI USB 8452 module and LabView 2013 with driver NI USB 845x 14.0. As a first step I ran the example from attached library called "Atmel AT25080A Write.vi". The problem manifests as logic "0" all the time on MOSI and MISO lines. No Data transferred. CS and CLK works properly. I never use pull ups when using SPI but maybe I should? The question is did anybody meet the same problem while using this usb 8452 module? All 4 SPI lines connected directly to oscilloscope. Waiting for any reply. Thanks in advance.

post-52806-0-61598700-1421671811_thumb.p

post-52806-0-76281800-1421671934_thumb.j

• Solution

Thanks for answers!

I have never used a NI USB 8452 but......

According to the manual it has on board pull up resistors that need to be enabled for Vref ≤ 1.8 V. Whats your Vref?

Yes, there is info about that, but in my opinion refers mostly to I2C communication where you have to externally pull up the SDA and SCL lines. The Vref is an output pin which you can use to pull something up (not used in my application). Used mostly when you want to shift level logic between 845x and device connected. When using SPI, you are selecting I/O Voltage Level which is in my opinion the same thing, but you are doing it inside 845x. There is no info in datasheet regarding pulling up SPI lines. I see it this way.

Don't you hook it up to a device?

Don't understand. You mean it will not work without any device connected? I think I should see the signal on MOSI Output even if nothing is connected.

Anyway! I found the solution. The NI 8452 module I use last time is damaged! I have in my company few of them, I took the next one and problem disappears.

Conclusion:

Properly installed device with proper driver for your LabView version (very important) should be enough to run SPI example and see how it's working.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/3F9B7A67207EF793862574BF00764C9F

Edited by Dawid

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Gary Armstrong
      LV2016 64-bit
      I have inherited a LabVIEW Interface that talks thru a USB2 Interface to a micro-Controller at 921,600 baud.
      This opens a new world of possibilities as USB2 can handle data at much higher rates than a typical RS232 interface.
      I have been tasked with rewriting the LabVIEW code as it is difficult to maintain.  I have an application that will talk to the uC at 230 kbaud but can't attain the 921,600 baud. I have tried copying the pertinent VIs from the supplied code into my app but still can not attain 921,600 baud. Plus I don't have a serial line analyzer capable of handling USB2, so I can only trial and error with the uC. Is there a setting I have to do in LabVIEW to allow serial communications at the higher rates? At the moment, I am trying to get the Find Controllr VI to work. I have included the support VIs for the Find Controllr.vi. The Find Controllr VI attempts to find the correct port and baud rate and then obviously communicate with the uC.
      Find Controllr.vi
      Packet TR.vi
      Get Available Ports.vi
      Serial Data.vi
      Check For Packet.vi
      Open Port.vi
      Create Packet.vi
      Extract Packet ID.vi
      PTI CRC.vi
    • By RomainP
      View File MPSSE SPI
      For a personal project, I needed to communicate between my computer and a SPI device slave device. So, I use a FTDI chip FT232h.
      I have adapted the library MPSSE I2C already available on this website to make it works for SPI.
      Warning ! VI are not 100% tested (especially Read functions), I provided it as it is.
      Submitter RomainP Submitted 02/01/2017 Category *Uncertified* LabVIEW Version  
    • By RomainP
      For a personal project, I needed to communicate between my computer and a SPI device slave device. So, I use a FTDI chip FT232h.
      I have adapted the library MPSSE I2C already available on this website to make it works for SPI.
      Warning ! VI are not 100% tested (especially Read functions), I provided it as it is.
    • By Joseph Gorse
      View File FTDI libMPSSE-SPI
      Initial release. It is hairy, but less so than the original import wizard.
      Submitter Joseph Gorse Submitted 01/25/2017 Category *Uncertified* LabVIEW Version  
    • By Joseph Gorse
      Initial release. It is hairy, but less so than the original import wizard.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.