See an exe front panel in another exe front panel

Hi to all,

I'm able to see a SubVI front panel in a Main front panel using a SubVI object and inserting it into the object.

I have been wondering if I can do the same launching an executable file and looking its user interface inside a main executable, both built using the LabView application builder. Have you ever done a work like this? Have you an idea to advise me, that can help me?

Thank you all

Never done that but if I had to try, I would likely start by enabling the ActiveX server in the Build properties of the EXE you want to be able to load inside the other.  This assumes that you are in the Windows environment though. 

Good luck and let us know if you succeed.  That could definitely be useful one day.

Some potential options:

1. Open a reference to the remote app and to the VI and insert that into a subpanel. I'm pretty sure this won't work, but it's certainly worth a try.
  2. Use remote front panels. Haven't done that in a very long time either.
  3. Use a copy of the VI and bind the controls and indicators to shared variables.
  4. Use the Windows API parenting functions mentioned here, like SetParent. They're fairly easy to use and there are even VIs which use them online (although you should note you can have one copy of the window at a time and there are potential weird artifacts which can happen).
  5. Implement a VNC server. I'm not sure how much work that is to implement. Maybe that's what the ancient LabVNC does.

The SubPanel class also has a private method called Insert Remote VI which takes an address, port and VI name and presumably uses VI server, but it has no documentation and I didn't even notice it until now, so I have no idea if it works, and it certainly won't be supported even if it does.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By nikp
      Hello Lavag's,
      Currently developing an UI with custom titlebar like JKI Package Manager 2020, applications from MS Office etc. I have a laptop (1440 X 900) running windows 7 and a second monitor with resolution 1920 X 1080. Scale and layout options for both monitors are set to 100%. 
      "FP.State = Maximized" seems to work only when the resolutions for all monitors are equal or selecting the monitor with highest resolution as main screen.
      1. Laptop(1440 X 900) as main screen: FP.State = Maximized works fine in Laptop but not in second monitor. The Panel Bounds and Window Bounds are way out of the screen resolution.

Same as in case of JKI VI Package Manager (2020)

2. Setting Window bounds and panel bounds manually:
      Some pixels appear in the another monitor when setting the Window Bounds and Panel Bounds manually. This sems to be also the case with NI-Package Manager
      Is there a way to make it work?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
      Nikhil.

Custom Titlebar.vi
    • By ATE-ENGE
      Background:
      I've been using LabVIEW for a few years for automation testing tasks and until recently have been saving my data to "[DescriptorA]\[DescriptorB]\[test_info].csv" files. A few months ago, a friend turned me on to the concept of relational databases, I've been really impressed by their response times and am reworking my code and following the examples with the Database Connectivity Toolkit (DCT) to use "[test_info].mdb" with my provider being a Microsoft jet oldb database.
      However, I'm beginning to see the limitations of the DCT namely:
      No support for auto-incrementing primary keys No support for foreign keys Difficult to program stored procedures and I'm sure a few more that I don't know yet.
      Now I've switched over to architecting my database in MySQL Workbench. Suffice to say I'm a bit out of my depth and have a few questions that I haven't seen covered in tutorials
       Questions (General):
       Using Microsoft jet oldb I made a connection string "Data Source= C:\[Database]\[databasename.mdb]" in a .UDL file. However, the examples I've seen for connecting to MySQL databases use IP addresses and ports.
      Is a MySQL database still a file? If not, how do I put it on my networked server \\[servername\Database\[file]? If so, what file extensions exist for databases and what is the implication of each extension? I know of .mdb, but are there others I could/should be using (such as .csv's vs .txt's)  My peers, who have more work experience than me but no experience with databases, espouse a 2GB limit on all files (I believe from the era of FAT16 disks). My current oldb database is about 200mB in size so 2GB will likely never happen, but I'm curious:
      Do file size limits still apply to database files? If so, how does one have the giant databases that support major websites?  Questions (LabVIEW Specific):
      I can install my [MainTestingVi.exe], which accesses the jet oldb database, on a Windows 10 computer that is fresh out of the box. When I switch over to having a MySQL database, are there any additional tools that I'll need to install as well? 
    • By hichem55
      Hello,

I will take the CLD exam in two days and I would be grateful if anyone could help me in these two questions:

1/ Do I have the ability to change a Cluster from the given UI into a Typedef?
      2/ In addition to Tip strips, Is it recommended to add some comments on the front panel or not?

Thank you very much!
    • By Nienscecco
      Bonjour,
      I use Labview 2015 32-bit on a 64-bit Win& pro computer.  My application connects to Hardware using NI-VISA and NI-DAQmx only (Two RS232 communications via a VCOM port and one NI DIO card using DAQmx).  
      Until today, I was building an executable which  I was copying through the network on another win7 pro machine in the lab next to the hardware.  It was working fine with Labview Runtime 2015 installed on this machine along with NI-VISA and NI-DAQmx.  I never used an installer, I installed those 3 components seperatly.
      Yesterday I added some features to the application and the EXE won't start.  I have an error msg saying "The VI is not executable. The full version of Labview is needed to fix errors".  The machine in the lab can't run the EXE but the EXE won't even start on my development machine.  
      My previous EXE from last week still works fine. The code works fine with all new features if I run the main VI from the development environment. I've double check all of my licences status. If I open another project and compile the EXE, I am able to run this EXE (I use a complex app containing almost all the same software components) If I build an EXE with a different UI source file part of the same project, that EXE works fine. If I build the EXE from my previous version again, it works fine too. I tried removing all the new features I had added in the project and build the EXE again and I still get the error. I tried creating a new project file and import the same librairies to try building an EXE from a fresh project file and I still get the error. I tried installing Labview 2015 on another computer and try to build an exe from a fresh labview install on this computer and I get the same error. The development machine can't execute the compiled EXE) It has to be related to the code but, I can't roll-back and get functionality of the EXE again unless I totally replace all of my files from a backup made last month.  The most recent posts I read from a similar error are from 2013 and later.  And the problem described is always that the EXE does not work on the deployment machine but works fine on the development machine.  I must be at version 25 of this application to which I add improvements on a regular basis since almost 1 year.   I am really puzzled.  Is there a way to analyse or get more info about the broken EXE error?  All the new features I added are using components that were already present in the project and in the main VI.  The new features are important, I'd really like to use this working code with the hardware as soon as possible but I don't really want to install labview on the development machine.
      Any ideas? I don't know what to try next.  What would be the best information to provide / look for for the next step?
      Thanks to all in advance
      Nien
    • By jj321
      programmatic control of front panel requires signaling instead of just simple value change . This requires access to controls . The attached VI's should do the job. The controls can be anywhere including tabs etc which requires recursive access.
      Get FP References.vi

Get Set FP Value Signaling Anywhere.vi

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.