Simple string in and out of a DLL created with LabVIEW

Good morning,

I have a DLL I created (in Labview)  that takes in string information, does some magic crunching on it to create a password that is passed out as a string.  This DLL will be called from CVI and probably from a C# application.

This should be so simple, however I cannot figure out how to pass the string in and get the modified string out of my DLL.

I've had no luck at all getting this DLL to work by trying many different things.  It crashes LV, returns and error, or simply passes nothing out during my trials.

I've included the project (its small) in zipped format.  Can one of you kind souls take a look at my code and tell me what I'm doing wrong, or what I need to do correctly to both, configure the DLL and then call it from LabVIEW?

Thank you!

Randy

Password Generator.7z

I don’t have LabVIEW 2016 and can’t open your code, but you might be trying to change a parameter directly.  C calls pass parameters by-value, not by-reference, so changing any of the parameters in the function will not affect their value in the calling code.  

Edited by drjdpowell
  • 1 month later...
On 1/2/2017 at 5:22 PM, Randall956 said:

Good morning,

I have a DLL I created (in Labview)  that takes in string information, does some magic crunching on it to create a password that is passed out as a string.  This DLL will be called from CVI and probably from a C# application.

This should be so simple, however I cannot figure out how to pass the string in and get the modified string out of my DLL.

I've had no luck at all getting this DLL to work by trying many different things.  It crashes LV, returns and error, or simply passes nothing out during my trials.

I've included the project (its small) in zipped format.  Can one of you kind souls take a look at my code and tell me what I'm doing wrong, or what I need to do correctly to both, configure the DLL and then call it from LabVIEW?

Thank you!

Randy

Password Generator.7z

It would actually help if you saved the VIs for previous. I haven't installed LabVIEW 2016 here. However as far as calling the function in the header file is concerned, something like this should definitely work, if you didn't mess up the configuration of the DLL build script (which I can't control for lack of LabVIEW 2016).

#include "Password.h"

#define BUF_LENGTH 100

char input[] = "some text";
char output[BUF_LENGTH];

MakePassword(inpupt, output, BUF_LENGTH);

printf("This is the converted text: %s", output);

I'm not sure about your C programming experience, but if you have little to none, the trick is most likely in providing a valid buffer for the output string and not expect the function to handle that automatically like you are used in LabVIEW!

Edited by rolfk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By torekp
      DLL functions or shared variables?  Or something else?
      I have a Labview 2014-64 executable (or I can build a DLL) that runs one piece of equipment, the X-ray.  The other engineer has a large CVI Labwindows 2015 + MS Visual Studio 2012 (C++) executable that runs everything else.  I want the Labview code to be a slave of the CVI code, accepting commands to turn X-ray On or Off, reporting failures, and the like.  Translating the X-ray code into C++ would be possible in principle, but not fun.
      Shared variables look easy, but I'm kinda scared of them.  I would define all the shared variables in my LV code, since I'm more familiar with LV, then use them in both.  There's a thread in here called "Shared Variable Woes" so maybe I should be scared.  In the alternative, I tried building a proof-of-concept DLL in Labview, and calling its functions in CVI/C++, and it works, but it's kinda clunky.  (I'm attaching it below in case you want to play, or advise.)
      Your advice would be appreciated.
      XrayDLL.zip
    • By patufet_99
      To use a controller from LabVIEW I have to use some functions of a DLL.
      For one of the functions, according to the header file .h there is a structure data with parameters of different types that I have to pass to the dll. Some of the parameres are BYTE (1 Byte)  and WORD (2 Bytes).
      When compiling this kind of structure with Visual C++ and looking at it's size with "sizeof()" it seems to me that 4 Bytes variables have to start in a position multiple of 4. For example if there is a BYTE and then a DWORD, the 3 Bytes after the BYTE are ignored and the DWORD starts at Bytes 5 to 8.
      When defining a LabVIEW cluster to match the DLL structure, will LabVIEW do the same? If in my cluster there is a U8 variable and then a U32, will anyway the U8 take 4 bytes?

Thank you.
    • By torekp
      So I created a DLL from a Labview VI that has a 2D array input (and some scalar inputs) and some 2D array outputs.  Labview creates a .h file with these lines

And then it defines the 2D array arguments to my function as being of this type: "void __cdecl Linear_discrim_4dll(DoubleArray *dataObsFeat, int32_t grpAsz," etc etc.  Trouble is, I have no idea how to fill out this structure so that the DLL can use it.  Say for simplicity I had a 2 by 3 input called dataObsFeat with elements {1,2,3; 11,12,13}; how would I create the object with these values in C or C++ and pass it to the function?  I am a total C++ noob, in case it isn't obvious.
    • By Fred chen
      Hi

When I call the DLL, there is a structure:
      struct Signal { uint32 nStartBit; uint32 nLen; double nFactor; double nOffset; double nMin; double nMax; double nValue; uint64 nRawValue; bool is_signed; char unit[11]; char strName[66]; char strComment[201]; };  

There is another  Message structure to the above Signal:

struct Message { uint32 nSignalCount; uint32 nID; uint8 nExtend; uint32 nSize; Signal vSignals[513]; char strName[66]; char strComment[201]; }  
        The point is  Signal vSignals[513];

I've tried to solve it like this,but the program will crash.

How to create struct Message ,any good suggestions?  Thanks a lot.

message.vi
    • By x y z
      Hello!

I'd like to resize LStrHandle string in a C++ based DLL ... which is perfectly working on desktop Windows (ex.:Win7 32/64 bit) platform by include "extcode.h"  and linking "labviewv.lib", with calling "NumericArrayResize" function.
      BUT I'd like to do the same on Windows Embedded Compact 7.0 with ARM(Cortex-A8).
      When I build the DLL project on "Smart device / WindowsCE" platform it compiled successfully but the linker stopped because "NumericArrayResize" is unresolved symbol ... I think the reason is that the "labviewv.lib" generated for x86 architecture not for ARM.

So my question is: Is there any libviewv.lib for ARM platform?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.