Publishing a library on VIPM ?

Hi everybody,

Is someone know what possibility exist to distribute a library on LabVIEW. I mean, is there only VIPM tool ?

I would also like to know where I can find a complete guide on licensing and licensing policy. If i want to put licence on my product what are my option ? How it works (licensing tools) ? What are the different types of licenses possible ?

I would like to make several versions of my HAIBAL project with several licensing policies (student, lab and pro) and didn't find a document explaining all of this part.

As this is our first software sale on the NI store (or other platform) and I don't have a lawyer on my team, I have a lot of questions: is it complicated to sell my product online ?

What are the obligations attached to each type of license? Does JKI offer a solution for all this? If so, how much does it cost? Is it only an acquisition cost, or do you then take a royalty on sales?

Is someone can help me on this subject ?

Thanks !

Youssef

Lots of questions here, I will simply point you to vipm.io from when you'll be able to get VIPM related info.

There are 4 'levels' of VIPM, free, community, pro and entreprise, see differences here https://www.vipm.io/download/

As far as I know VIPM is not a tool that will let you manage license subscription in your product, for this I think the best starting point is on NI forums : https://forums.ni.com/t5/Developer-Center-Resources/tkb-p/7307

As a side note, I think handling different types of licenses of your product is not an easy task, good luck with that!

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Youssef Menjour said:

I would also like to know where I can find a complete guide on licensing and licensing policy.

Start here and then Google specifics. Good luck :) Generally though, you choose a licence and then mark the software as being covered by that licence (about box, licence file, etc) . Commercial offerings a bit harder though since you need to stop people using it if they have not bought a licence.

I would like to make several versions of my HAIBAL project with several licensing policies (student, lab and pro) and didn't find a document explaining all of this part.

Two ways you can look at it. A single piece of software that the user can choose from multiple licences (hard) or multiple, discrete, pieces of software have their own licence (easy).

is it complicated to sell my product online

Non commercial is easy-just distribute a licence with the product. Commercial is harder-you need to cripple the software somehow when distributed and only become fully featured after a licence is purchased. You can either go it alone (web page and download) or via NI who have a couple of options. You would need to contact NI since they recently changed their sales model so I don't know what they are offering now,

What are the obligations attached to each type of license?

Depends on the licence-there are many.

Does JKI offer a solution for all this?

Not that I'm aware of. VIPM is an installer and distribution platform.

If it's a commercial product then you will also need to look into the Third Party Licensing and Activation toolkit

If you want a completely managed sales solution then speak with NI.

• Like 1