Vertical text in a table column header?

crelf

QUOTE (crelf @ Feb 20 2009, 01:46 PM)

I can't seem to find a way to make the text in a table's column headers go vertical - does anyone know who to do this (I'm not sure it's even possible)? I'd be happy to switch to a similar control if that capability exists somewhere else...

About the only thing that I could find quickly that allows programmatic creation of vertical text is a picture control. That would be an ugly solution... unless, of course, you completely recreated your table in the picture. Create a whole abstraction layer to emulate the behavior of the table in the picture control. While we're at it, add all the other controls and indicators. Make it so that you can drag and drop them. Then you've got a completely dynamically-creatable user interface. Hey, now that we're really deep into the muck, let's just finish the job and write all of LabVIEW within LabVIEW.

(Mopping off brow, catching my breath, and backing away from the precipice.) Sorry, I got a little carried away there.

THere was (and may still be ) a bug in the table if you used a transparent background and then attempted to edit the contents of a cell. When editing you could see the old text behind where you were typing as if the table was really an XControl that help an image of the table contents in a picture and would show and possition a text box when you clciked on a cell so....

I suspect Bob outlined what is really inside the table.

Ben

QUOTE (crelf @ Feb 20 2009, 04:49 PM)

Try it yourself or look closely at this image (from LV 8.5)

http://lavag.org/old_files/monthly_02_2009/post-29-1235167349.png' target="_blank">post-29-1235167349.png?width=400

I typed in "CRELF" then (after entering the text) went back and deleted all of the character but did NOT complete the change ( did not hit enter of click outside). The text box for entry picked up the transparent color from the table background so you can see through and the text "CRELF" is still visable in the Picture behind the data entry box. This is the bug that leads me to believe that way down somewhere the table is really an XControl that renders the image using a picture control and shows/postions/hides a text box when a user clicks.

Ben

QUOTE (crelf @ Feb 20 2009, 05:49 PM)

You think tables are really pictures?

No way. They exist since before the Picture control was released. But I guess the field edit option has a redrawing problem when dealing with transparent background.

Of course deep down there is C code and to enable editing of the field they probably do use the trick of creating a temporary text entry field but fail to account for the case where the table background is transparent and simply copy the table background to the edit control in all cases, which would be certainly desired behavior for non transparent backgrounds.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (crelf @ Feb 20 2009, 12:46 PM)

I can't seem to find a way to make the text in a table's column headers go vertical - does anyone know who to do this (I'm not sure it's even possible)? I'd be happy to switch to a similar control if that capability exists somewhere else...

I tried to figure this out once, but there was just too much vertical knowledge involved.

QUOTE (rolfk @ Feb 21 2009, 04:23 AM)

No way. They exist since before the Picture control was released. But I guess the field edit option has a redrawing problem when dealing with transparent background.

Of course deep down there is C code and to enable editing of the field they probably do use the trick of creating a temporary text entry field but fail to account for the case where the table background is transparent and simply copy the table background to the edit control in all cases, which would be certainly desired behavior for non transparent backgrounds.

Rolf Kalbermatter

I'll grant you that. My point is that Bob outlined the work being done somewhere and it could be re-written using the Picture control and we would not know the difference. I think its cool because it gives you a "if all else fails" option. :thumbup:

Ben

• 7 months later...