Comparing programming languages

JCFC

A) The thread-ring and chameneos-redux benchmarks would be hard since the rules explicitly call out cooperative multitasking models as "interesting alternate implementations." LV's dataflow implementation is cooperative thread scheduling.

B) The rest of the benchmarks seem like they'd be viable to implement, though I have no idea how you'd get a relative measure of "code size".

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ Jun 2 2009, 07:07 AM)

... I have no idea how you'd get a relative measure of "code size".

That's very interesting problem I'm thinking about from time to time. Metric used here is byte size of gzipped code with removed comments and reduced whitespaces. I guess that it's somehow proportional to time spent writing the code, but not taking into account time spent on searching in documentation, debugging, etc. For LV it should be similar. For each node and terminal in LV code we may assign the word which lenght should be proportional to its depth within palette tree. Plus one or two characters for each wire, maybe more for longest wires (scrolling is so slooow when wiring), plus some overhead for each subvi, plus 500 characters per each openning of control properties dialog (grrr),plus whitespace between above and that's it.

But such a comparison wouldn't show few of many LV strenghts such as time spent on debuging or on creating GUI.

QUOTE (vugie @ Jun 2 2009, 01:28 AM)

(scrolling is so slooow when wiring)

Slightly off topic, but why would you ever make a VI where you needed to scroll to wire? If the VI is so big that two connected nodes cannot fit on your screen, then it is time to re-factor!

Back on topic, I think the whole concept is like trying to compare apples to oranges. There is simply no way to accurately compare a graphical language to a text based one. It's like comparing radio to television, IMHO...

QUOTE (jlokanis @ Jun 2 2009, 06:35 PM)

Like this one :P

post-15232-1243971787.png?width=400

QUOTE (JCFC @ Jun 2 2009, 05:36 AM)

I have a question: Can Labview beat those Programming Languages?, How Labview perform doing that tasks?

Interesting. Most of the languages I've never heard of and quite a few common ones missing. I would like to have seen Assembly in that mix since its one of the least verbose and fastest, so I guess it would be close to the "ideal". I think the title is a bit misleading though. since really it is a test of the compiler optimization rather than language.

QUOTE (ShaunR @ Jun 2 2009, 03:56 PM)

... it is a test of the compiler optimization rather than language.

Indeed. That is why assembly isn't much "faster" than C now days. I've heard it said: "C is the new assembly language." Compilers are getting that good.

As far as assembly being "one of the least verbose" I will have to disagree. Assembly needs 25 lines of code to turn an LED off and on. :blink:

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Jun 2 2009, 09:28 PM)

Indeed. That is why assembly isn't much "faster" than C now days. I've heard it said: "C is the new assembly language." Compilers are getting that good.

As far as assembly being "one of the least verbose" I will have to disagree. Assembly needs 25 lines of code to turn an LED off and on. :blink:

I know what you mean. I guess it depends on what is meant by verbose.

add r2, r3, r4 is less verbose than (say) MyEnormouslyLongResultName := MyEnormouslyLongVariableName + MySecondEnormouslyLongVariableName.

Thats why pictures are better :beer: + :camera: = :nono:

QUOTE (ShaunR @ Jun 2 2009, 05:08 PM)

I think that expression is up for interpretation on the compiler.

Does it mean that if I take a picture of you with beer you will shake your finger at me? Or does it mean I should not take a picture while I am under the influence of beer? Does it imply that pouring beer into a digital camera will cause it to turn into a yellow face shaking his finger? or is that a near by person shaking their finger because I broke their camera by pouring beer into it?

QUOTE (ShaunR @ Jun 2 2009, 05:08 PM)

I know what you mean. I guess it depends on what is meant by verbose.

add r2, r3, r4 is less verbose than (say) MyEnormouslyLongResultName := MyEnormouslyLongVariableName + MySecondEnormouslyLongVariableName.

If MyEnormouslyLongVariableName > YourEnormouslyLongVariableName then 
     iWin == True
     uWin == False
Else
     uWin == True
     iWin == False
EndIf

QUOTE (hooovahh @ Jun 2 2009, 10:46 PM)

I think that expression is up for interpretation on the compiler.

Does it mean that if I take a picture of you with beer you will shake your finger at me? Or does it mean I should not take a picture while I am under the influence of beer? Does it imply that pouring beer into a digital camera will cause it to turn into a yellow face shaking his finger? or is that a near by person shaking their finger because I broke their camera by pouring beer into it?

It means there are too few smiley's on this forum :P