Hi,

I am wondering if anyone did or found a performance test of IMAQ functions. What I am interesting in is what is the performance of IMAQ functions compared to functions written in .net or C++ (OpenCV)? Can we improve or deteriorate the performance of IMAQ based applications?

regards,

Marcin

In the Vision Assistant there is a 'Performance Meter' that will give you some timing information regarding each step in the process. That should at least get you started. If you pursue this, I would love to know what you come up with.

http://i.imgur.com/R5DN1.png

R5DN1.png

Edited by Jordan Kuehn

Hi Marcin,

The only reference I can find to specific image processing benchmarks online are in http://www.ni.com/white-paper/2957/en#toc5. Unfortunately I have no more details than on there. I do believe a lot of effort goes into the performance of the library for example the algorithms are multicore optimised. If there are specific benchmarks you need post it here and I'm sure we could whip something up.

James

It's difficult to compare, as we don't know exactly what's going on under the hood, so we might be comparing apples to oranges without knowing it (eg: a c++ function might do a poorer job of finding an edge, but the IMAQ one might be slower).

I guess I need to know where you're coming from to better explore your question. Are you trying to decide on whether to use the Vision toolkit or something else based solely on execution speed? What's your target?

PS: The functions that are called in the Vision toolkit are invariably DLLs anyway, so perhaps the comparison is moot?

I agree, the comparison between LabVIEW and C++ is moot. You can write bad code in either. It really depends on the implementation of the algorithms and that is likely to vary between algorithm.

I know a lot of effort is put into the performance of our Vision libraries (it is one of the few modules support in 64 bit to deal with large data better). If you have specific algorithms to use or benchmarks your interested in it is best to compare these directly.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Elancheran
      Hi Everyone,
            I am trying to play the video in reverse decrementing the frame number in IMAQ Read Frame function. Its working but the result is very choppy as every frame takes significant time to load, but when I just increment the frame number and play the video forward, its executing without any problem. I have attached the VI and info regarding the video, could you guys please let me know why I am having problem when I am trying to display the video in the reverse order.
      Playing AVI file.vi

• By Shaun07
      Hello,

I need one help regarding changing the image image type
      How can I convert grey scale image to false color image?
      Here, I have attached two images. 1. greyscale image 2. is just an example that I want to convert. (False Color). 
      Any help would be appreciate.

Thanks,
      Parth Panchal 

• By Shaun07
      Hello All,

I am new to the camera labview programming. 

For my research work, I am using camera to grab the live image. I am stuck with one problem. 
      how to treat the background?
      I tried to subtract the constant value from the entire image, but with that i am loosing few of my data.
      I know one solution, but I don't know how to implement this solution. 
      Problem: how to take the values from the 4 corner of the image and subtract those value from entire image?

If anybody previously develop similar stuff then please help me out for this. 

Thanks,
      Shaun

removebackground.vi
    • By Shaun07
      Hello All,

I am trying to removing the background and normalizing the image data. I have an image which I attached here. 
      All I want as end result of normalized image with no background. 
      At last  I want to check the beam profile before and after.

Is anybody previously worked on it?
      Any VI?

Thanks in Advance 

• By Taylorh140
      I have never gotten the performance that I desire out of the 2D picture control. I always think that it should be cheaper than using controls since they don't have to handle user inputs and click events etc. But they always seem to be slower.
      I was wondering if any of the wizards out there had any 2d picture control performance tips that could help me out?
      Some things that come to mind as far as questions go:
      Is the conversion to from pixmap to/from picture costly?
      Why does the picture control behave poorly when in a Shift register?
      What do the Erase first settings cost performance wise?
      Anything you can think of that are bad ideas with picture controls?
      Anything you can think of that is generally a good idea with picture controls?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.