How to wait out network lag on file write?

Attached is my VI for writing a tiny HTML file to a intranet network directory. This is on Windows for writing to a file path like \\foo\bar\wtf.html (fictional!). But when the network is slow (quite often) the file write will fail.

I've got a patch in there so survive the error and just wait till next time. But what really I need is a way to tell the write to hang in there longer and not give up just because there's no reply yet.

My temporary work-around is to open a Windows file browser to that path, the twiddle my thumbs until the file list populates. Then, the path being established, I may safely start the parent VI of which this VI is a sub.

Any ideas?

Write_HTML.vi

Attached is my VI for writing a tiny HTML file to a intranet network directory. This is on Windows for writing to a file path like \\foo\bar\wtf.html (fictional!). But when the network is slow (quite often) the file write will fail.

I've got a patch in there so survive the error and just wait till next time. But what really I need is a way to tell the write to hang in there longer and not give up just because there's no reply yet.

Any ideas?

Except going directly the network path? Not really! There might be some obscure registry setting which influences the timeout, but in my experience the default timeouts for accessing remote file paths through Windows file API are rather to long than to small. I don't like to wait for 1 minute to finally get an error that a file path is not currently accessible since the network or remote server is down. Identifying that registry setting is going to be difficult and made extra complicated as it may vary depending on your current setup and logged in credentials.

That file API is layered on top of the kernel API which is layered on top of the NetBEUI protocol, which then makes use of Winsock, which then calls into the socket driver and from there in the network card driver. NetBEUI is/was a nice invention back in the days of DOS and got carried over since, but it did not have a rich control interface for things like timeouts, etc. It simply goes and sits for whatever time the developer found reasonable. The Windows file API does only support timeouts on its own level through asynchronous API calls, which is cumbersome and in most cases serves no extra purpose other than freeing up the current thread to do something else while the file API waits for the underlaying resource to become available. LabVIEW does not use the asynchronous file API since it doesn't give LabVIEW anything extra and even if it did, this is entirly seperate from possible timeouts in lower level file system drivers like NetBEUI.

Generally I would say your Windows domain setup is somewhat flaky, so that the NetBEUI driver can't always verify the access rights of the current user for the desired network resource in time. This setup used to be fairly straightforward in Win NT 4 times but got tightened up a lot since, so that it is very easy to make errors when configuring domain users and access rights, and this errors often only occur occasionally, depending on network load, actual login mode and various other temporary conditions.

• Like 1

Very informative and to the point. Thank you.

I switched from \\Foo\ to \\ plus dotted quad, and it works fine now.

Well, then your NetBEUI to IP address resolution is not working properly. Your previous comment about going directly to the network path, I was actually more refering to entirely alternative protocols such as WebDAV or (S)FTP.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Aniket Gadekar
      Hello Network,
      I am writing array of timestamp in TDMS file. "TDMS Write.vi" generates an error after calling this VI as follows.

Group Name = "DUT T1"
      Channel Names = "DUT T1_Time"
      Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.
      BR
      Aniket

• By John Lokanis
      I am running into an issue where my VI Server connection goes stale after a few hours.  Looking for a fast way to detect this and recover.
      Currently here is what I am doing:
      On first call, open the application reference and then open the VI reference.  Cache both of these.  Use the VI reference to call the remote VI. On subsequent calls, test the cached references to verify they are still valid and then call the remote VI. What appears to be happening is the references still appear to be valid in the caller but the connection is broken so the remote call fails.  Then I detect this and reopen the app and VI refs and can again call the remote VI.
      The issues are:
      The failing remote call takes a long time to timeout and I do not see how to control this timeout. The test of the refs does not actually test to see of the network connection is still good. The result is it takes a long time to recover and this is upsetting the user since it appears the system is locked up.
      What I need is a way to control the timeout of the 'call by reference' node or a way to quickly test the references to verify the network connection is still good before I attempt the remote call.
      Any ideas?
      thanks,
      -John
    • By Novgorod
      Hi,

I'm wondering whether there is a way to monitor the SVE (or single processes/variables) on a per-client basis. The purpose of this would be network diagnostics or access control. I know the DSC module allows logging of data and events for shared variables, such as the very handy "value changed" event, but they contain no client-related information (to my knowledge), such as the client name or IP address. Are there any other shared variable events besides the value changed notification (e.g. "variable accessed"), which I have missed?

Anyway, the SVE seems to be aware of clients, because it allows some access control through the DSC module (and with a bit of hacking even programmatically). You can define access control lists based on computer name or IP address, which is very buggy, but it works somewhat. Is it possible to somehow access this client information (number of clients, names/addresses and activities) from the SVE? I don't see any tools for that, but maybe there is an underlying API through DLL calls or whatever?
    • By jfrancis
      "Write INI Cluster__ogtk.vi" is rounding numbers in several 1D arrays buried in my super cluster.  I am using Producer-Consumer with Supercluster archtecture, so my SC is somewhat deep.  The numbers being affected are doubles within arrays within a cluster within a cluster within an array within the Supercluster.  I created a work-around in the attached vi with standard NI config file libs.
           My desire was to have Scientific notation with 7 significant digits. The number was 2.002252E-3. The JKI routine converted this into 0.002002 and dropped 3 digits that were significant parts of a calibration polynomial. The anomoly occurred for only in numbers with "E-3" values. E+n, E-6, E-9 values were not affected although the system would change the exponent and shift the decimal sporatically.  The standard LabVIEW NI_LVConfig.lvlib:Write Key.vi does not have this problem as you will see in the work-around but does also have the habit of changing the Sci notation around to something other than n.nnnnnnE-n. It hasn't cause any loss in precision but had done things like changing -1.78569E-5 into -17.856900E-6. I guess it prefers the standard 3, 6, 9 format for exponents.
      This utility happens to be my number one library for saving all system settings of interest between runs.  Designed to work with a SC.  Went thru much gnashing of teeth to fidure out what is acceptable items to put in the cluster.  Dynamic variables like DAQmx Task references will just cause "Write INI Cluster__ogtk.vi" to fail.  Since I don't need dynamics, this is fine.  Every time the user edits a GUI cluster (system settings), I kick off an even that pushes all settings of interest out to the config.INI file.

Hope This Helps and Enjoy,
      Jeff Francis
      Stanley Black & Decker
      JKI INI File Save - Number Precision issue.zip
    • By ShaunR
      Name: Transport.lvlib
      Submitter: ShaunR
      Submitted: 27 Aug 2011
      Category: Remote Control, Monitoring and the Internet
      LabVIEW Version: 2009License Type: Other (included with download)

Transport.lvlib is a LabView API to simplify and accelerate networked communication development.
      It simplifies development by abstracting TCPIP, UDP and Bluetooth and TLS interfaces
      into a single polymorphic vi which is a thin wrapper around the conventional
      open, read, write, close and listener VIs for all the network interfaces.

Features:
      Supports TCP/IP, Bluetooth, UDP (p2p, broadcast and multicast) and TLS.
      Supports symetric encryption (blowfish).
      Supports compression (zlib).

INSTALLATION:
      Run the supplied installer and follow the instructions.

Click here to download this file

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.