1D Array to String not compiling correctly

I was experiencing a whole host of problems running an application in LabVIEW 2020 (32-bit) dev environment. This function was giving me the wrong output. After an edit and save, the output of the function now appears correct. This is the first time I have ever seen this...

Oh man that looks like a painful thing to debug and isolate.  And an even bigger pain to convince NI that there is an issue when someone in the support call will just have a goal of getting your code working.  I haven't seen anything in 2020 like this yet.  I have seen code that application builder says is broken, I go and run the VI it isn't broken, and then the build can continue. It is related in that it seems to be a compiler issue.

This happened on a virtual machine that only had LabVIEW 2020 installed. VIPM was always configured to mass compile VIs after package installation. If this happened even when packages were being mass compiled, what else is lurking under the hood waiting to be found?

I want to assume that had I built an EXE in this state, this problem would have gone away.