LV 8.0.1 is out!

ok, let's start a poll... how long did it take you to Mass Compile your code after upgrading to 8.0.1?

It took me 1hr:45min... :clock: :P

I can beat that easily.. :-)

4hr:20min and the damn thing is still running..

I must admit I have quite some toolkits installed but this is a real pain.. :throwpc:

I see that an 8.0.1 Run-Time installer is available for Mac and Linux, but not for Windows? Looking at the date on the file 'LabVIEW_8.0_Runtime_Engine.exe' in the directory

ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/labview/windows/runtime/8.0/

versus in the directory

ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/labview/windows/runtime/8.0/8.0.0/

the dates and file sizes are exactly the same. Do I take this to mean that the Windows Run-Time 8.0 works fully with 8.0.1 EXEs, or have they just not updated the FTP site correctly yet?

Must be the latter. I see that my lvrt.dll file was updated by the 8.0.1 development system installation.

I see that an 8.0.1 Run-Time installer is available for Mac and Linux, but not for Windows? Looking at the date on the file 'LabVIEW_8.0_Runtime_Engine.exe' in the directory

ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/labview/windows/runtime/8.0/

versus in the directory

ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/labview/windows/runtime/8.0/8.0.0/

the dates and file sizes are exactly the same. Do I take this to mean that the Windows Run-Time 8.0 works fully with 8.0.1 EXEs, or have they just not updated the FTP site correctly yet?

Must be the latter. I see that my lvrt.dll file was updated by the 8.0.1 development system installation.

NI support says it'll be a few weeks before an RTE installer will be available... However, building an app installer from an updated system should install the updated RTE, right?

Also, 8.0.1 built apps are supposed to run with the 8.0.0 RTE. :wacko:

No word on what actually changes in the 8.0.1 RTE.

-- Matt

I'm not sure how long it took.

I started the mass compile around 7:00 and at 11:00 it wan't finished yet. It was done the next morning. This is on a P4M 1.6GHz laptop.

I also noticed there is an 8.0.1 RealTime RTX update an 8.0.1 PDA update, but only via the FTP site for now.

RealTime RTX 8.0.1 and a Readme

ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/labview/labview_.../Windows/8.0.1/

PDA 8.0.1 and a Readme - Now supports some of the enhanced Windows Mobile 5 OS features - See the Readme for info

ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/labview/pda_module/updates/

Might be few more if you look around.

Ed

This mass compile issue makes me think of another issue that has been on my mind for a long time. The built-in Mass Compile is a real pig. I believe that it loads each VI into memory, saves it, and unloads it -- one at a time. I can think of serveral ways to optomize this process. For example, after loading a VI into memory, save all of its subVIs, too. Keep track of which VIs that you've already saved, and do not load and save them again. I wonder how much this would speed up the process. For OpenG Commander, we built our own mass compiler that just loads the whole app into memory and saves all VIs in the hierarchy -- this saved loads of time.

Je ne parl pas Francais!

Just finished my mass-compile (2+ hours :throwpc:), and checked, mine is in English.

And let me guess, your LabVIEW installation is French? :P

OK, probably not and it's probably just me.

After looking at the ini file a bit closer, it contains all the localization information, not just French. That just happens to be the first section. So something is telling it to use the French section.

I just talked to support and they have not seen this happen yet and the French version of the 8.0.1 patch hasn't been released yet. :headbang:

UPDATE: Support has confirmed this as a bug, but it may not be directly related to the 8.0.1 patch.

See the 8 Buglist for more details.

Still waiting for my "wireless" version of LabVIEW!

It's been available for quite a while. It's called CVI. :)

Ed

And let me guess, your LabVIEW installation is French? :P

OK, probably not and it's probably just me.

my installer told me that it is installing the German version, although I have the english LV Version installed ...

my fears, that after the install my former english version would be a german one did NOT come true <puh>

I don't have "d" problem on my machine! If Ed's machine shows 'z' problem, then it's obviously related to language. :P

But seriously; did you happen to use Jim's new excellerated mas-compile; if so, maybe that has something to do with it?

My splash screen is fine.

One thing I did notice late yesterday is in the Context Help window, the "Required" inputs on VIs and Functions no longer show up in Bold text. Anybody else see this?

Ed