Multiple Glyphs Columns

I remember attending a presentation last year (or the year before) at NI week talking about the example finder. The code is written in LabVIEW (if I remember correctly). I was wondering is someone know how to get to that multiple column list box (or tree or table) that allow for multiple glyphs columns (see image below)?

post-121-1202173321.png?width=400

Thanks

PJM

QUOTE(MikaelH @ Feb 4 2008, 05:54 PM)

It would be good if the "Item Symbol" property can take a 2D array like this:

post-941-1202176357.png?width=400

..and maybe this is available with a hidden property.

Yes, this could be nice to have 2D array for symbols, but I am suspecting that this might not be how this has been implemented.

As you say, this table/MCL/Tree might be available through scripting. I will have to investigate.

Since the example finder has been build as an executable, it has used this MCL which support multi glyph columns. The first LV version that shipped with the executable example finder was LV 7.0, so this would be cool if NI could let us use this (since this has been around for quite sometime now).

QUOTE(MikaelH @ Feb 4 2008, 05:54 PM)

Cheers,

Mikael

Yes, I have done it in a similar fashion in the past, and this work fairly well as long as you don't expect the user will want to resize the column.

PJM

I have made some progress on that front. I extract that control from the example finder (this turn out to be a MCL listbox).

post-121-1202760598.png?width=400

Here is the control: Download File:post-121-1202760621.vi

Now I have to figure out how to change these glyphs. For info, here is a screenshot of NI VI interface that manage the listbox (Mikael, you might have been onto something with the 2d array of glyphs).

post-121-1202760606.png?width=400

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

PJM

QUOTE(normandinf @ Feb 11 2008, 09:39 PM)

*************** EDITED IMAGE, after Jim's post, I added the custom icons ******************************

It looks like you use a tree control and address this as an MCL, is that right?

Or is the name not updated for the control type?

Ton

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Feb 12 2008, 09:34 PM)

Yes, but this is very easy.

The Item Symbol Index has to change according to this formula:

Item Symbol Index = Orginal Item Symbol Index + Indent Level * 65536

Example:

If you have this glyph (

http://lavag.org/old_files/monthly_02_2008/post-121-1202921719.png' target="_blank">post-121-1202921719.png?width=400

), which has and index value of 14, and you want an indentation level of 2 then you set this Item Symbol at 131086 (which is 14 + 65536 x 2).

PJM

QUOTE(PJM_labview @ Feb 12 2008, 05:17 PM)

This does look very nice and promising. I'm glad you were able to extract it.

QUOTE(Yen @ Feb 14 2008, 10:40 AM)

Thanks. Unfortunately, 7.0 doesn't have the methods for importing custom images, but this is also nice.

I don't think that 7.1 has custom symbols either. PJM's cool UI example is written in 8.2. (I know, because I got to play with it :thumbup: )

• 1 month later...

I tried to do something similar, have a first column with symbols+names, and a second column with symbols only.

The following code failed:

post-2399-1207853220.png?width=400

QUOTE (normandinf @ Feb 12 2008, 03:01 PM)

post-10515-1202824855_thumb.jpg

I can't easily spot the difference.

QUOTE (PJM_labview @ Feb 11 2008, 09:12 PM)

post-121-1202760606.png

Where can I find this 70....... VI?

QUOTE (PJM_labview @ Feb 13 2008, 02:17 AM)

Now that I got all the pieces together I am finally able to write UI like the one below.

post-121-1202865384.png?width=400

This MCL will really come in handy in many situations.

$10 for the correct answer (well for LAVA).

Ton

PS is quoting of an image prohibited?

QUOTE (tcplomp @ Apr 10 2008, 11:48 AM)

post-121-1202760606.png

Where can I find this 70....... VI?

Well, this VI came from inside an old example finder executable. It has no BD no FP and no icon, so it is of very little value if you plan to use it. I was just trying to figureout, at the time, how NI did the multi clumn glyph and I though this could have helped to have this VI Interface.

About why your example code fail, well it look like you are targeting only one column (the [-2;1]), if I recall you have set the active column first then set the glyphs (repeat for each column).

PS: Now, go give your $10 to LAVA :P

PJM

QUOTE (normandinf @ Apr 10 2008, 02:38 PM)

Well, I can't say there is a difference either. I can even reproduce your error!

I compared a new MCListbox with the one in PJM's VI and I get two different results...

I can see from the coercion dots that they're not the same type. That seems a clue. However, I haven't found yet what's the difference. Hopefully, a good night of labview dreams will get me on track. :shifty:

Perhaps an even bigger clue is the fact that your MCL is an integer and his is an array of integers...

QUOTE (orko @ Apr 10 2008, 06:33 PM)

Perhaps an even bigger clue is the fact that your MCL is an integer and his is an array of integers...

:oops:

It does take care of the coercion dots but putting both of them "Scalar" doesn't solve the problem that the icons are not displayed on the second column of the left listbox...