Star Trek

Cat

QUOTE (Cat @ May 6 2009, 08:08 AM)

So how many of us are going to be waiting in line to see Star Trek this week? My daughter's taking me for Mother's Day. :thumbup:

I haven't been to a movie theater in years, but I think I'm going to stand in line this weekend for this one. :thumbup:

QUOTE (normandinf @ May 6 2009, 09:12 AM)

I won't have a good night of sleep until I figure out if Spock is going to crack Kirk's skull open...

You can hardly blame him if he does.

(for those who saw the trailers)

I've been attempting to avoid the trailers. These days it seems like every good scene/line from a movie is in the trailer, and then there's nothing left in the movie. Still I go (did anyone other than me actually see the last ST in a movie theater? Or see it at all??).

I have high hopes for this one, tho. Good director, good writers, and actually good reviews (not that that really matters). I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

QUOTE (gmart @ May 6 2009, 09:40 AM)

The trailer tease about Uhura and Kirk sure made their kiss back in the original series look like Sunday school.

I'm not going to the movie but the Burger King comercial invoked a reboot as soon as I saw the "Kingons". My buddy commented on the comercial and I had to ask them what it was they were talking about.

Ben

QUOTE (Cat @ May 6 2009, 09:40 AM)

Still I go (did anyone other than me actually see the last ST in a movie theater? Or see it at all??).

I did see it at the theater too. However I had to drive 20min because it was not scheduled in theaters in my city...

Any clone made of Picard's hair is doomed to fail anyway... Janeway's hair on the other hand...

QUOTE (normandinf @ May 6 2009, 04:12 PM)

Of course not. He's going to point his finger at his head and slice it open:

http://lavag.org/old_files/monthly_05_2009/post-1431-1241630881.jpg' target="_blank">post-1431-1241630881.jpg?width=400

Finally, I can get the chance to prove I'm not a Trekkie. I have no plans of watching this movie. If it ever happens to come my way, fine, but that's about it.

QUOTE (FLAnatic @ May 7 2009, 03:29 PM)

:laugh: I love The Onion. Good catch. :laugh:

QUOTE (Yair @ May 6 2009, 01:28 PM)

post-1431-1241630881.jpg?width=400

Finally, I can get the chance to prove I'm not a Trekkie. I have no plans of watching this movie. If it ever happens to come my way, fine, but that's about it.

This is the ONE thing that will interfere with my enjoyment of this film. Zach Quinto as Sylar on Heroes is without a doubt the most evil character created on TV. Worse than Brett Butler (But Sylar is at least funny in a dark sort of way). Him playing Spock will be a distraction.

QUOTE (ElijahRock @ May 9 2009, 08:56 PM)

I saw it on Thursday at the IMAX theater in Austin. I grew up a huge Trekkie, and I've got to say, this movie ROCKS.

IMAX! I'm jealous!

Yes, run, do not walk, to your nearest movie theater (even if it's not IMAX) and see this movie. This one does not disappoint.

It had an actual plot (with only a one real artifice offered up via disruptions in the space/time continuum :P ), great acting (I was worried about watching Sylar, too, but after a couple minutes forgot about it; Simon Pegg was brilliant as Scotty), good special effects, etc.

The non-ST fans I was with enjoyed it, and for those of us big Trekkies, there were plenty of obscure references to keep us happy. :)

GO!

QUOTE (Cat @ May 11 2009, 06:17 AM)

The non-ST fans I was with enjoyed it, and for those of us big Trekkies, there were plenty of obscure references to keep us happy. :)

My girlfriend said she would watch with me even though she was not a ST fan. She kept saying everyone that saw it said it was good, and there was a sad part in it. I just thought it was chick talk(ST movie that made you sad?? ). Well, not 2 minutes in the movie I was slumping in my seat, fake yawning, pulling my hat down,.. to hide the H2O + NaCl leaks...

She agreed, as did I, it Rocked! Why can't they make more movies this good?

QUOTE (shoneill @ May 15 2009, 10:00 AM)

Yeah, but how long before the old and new generations of Trekkies go to war?

Shane.

Funny you should say that. I thought Star Trek SUCKED. It was so dreadful I wanted to take a phaser to JJ Abrams. :angry:

QUOTE (PaulG. @ May 18 2009, 06:16 AM)

Funny you should say that. I thought Star Trek SUCKED. It was so dreadful I wanted to take a phaser to JJ Abrams. :angry:

I no longer value your opinion.

Kidding, of course, but I saw Star Trek this weekend and loved it. I think it was very well done with the actors throwing in just enough of the original characters' quirkiness to make it believable.

QUOTE (PaulG. @ May 18 2009, 09:16 AM)

Them's fightin' words, mister. :)

QUOTE (TobyD @ May 18 2009, 01:51 PM)

I no longer value your opinion.

Kidding, of course, but I saw Star Trek this weekend and loved it. I think it was very well done with the actors throwing in just enough of the original characters' quirkiness to make it believable.

I guess I've had it up to here with time travel. It's too lazy. And Abrams took way too many liberties with the ST mystique and legend. It felt like sacrilege. :thumbdown:

The only thing I liked about the movie were the inside jokes and references for us "old timers". "I'm not a physicist, damnit! I'm a doctor!" :laugh:

QUOTE (PaulG. @ May 18 2009, 02:43 PM)

I guess I've had it up to here with time travel. It's too lazy. And Abrams took way too many liberties with the ST mystique and legend. It felt like sacrilege. :thumbdown:

That's true; within about 5 minutes anyone who knows ST cannon is going to be confused...

The only thing I liked about the movie were the inside jokes and references for us "old timers". "I'm not a physicist, damnit! I'm a doctor!" :laugh:

My favorite episode is the first time (I believe) "I'm a doctor, not a fill in the blank!" was used. It was, in that case, "I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!" I guess the "damnit" part would have never made it past the censors. Extra points to anyone who can identify the episode without looking it up. :)

QUOTE (Cat @ May 19 2009, 07:27 AM)

My favorite episode is the first time (I believe) "I'm a doctor, not a fill in the blank!" was used. It was, in that case, "I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!" I guess the "damnit" part would have never made it past the censors. Extra points to anyone who can identify the episode without looking it up. :)

It sounds like the episode where they find the silicon life form on that mining planet, at the end when Bones is trying to heal the "mother". Cause then Bones pops up and and says something like "Maybe I am a bricklayer" once he healed the "mother's" phaser injury. I couldn't tell you the episode name, but I remember it being on the first season.

QUOTE (crossrulz @ May 19 2009, 07:45 AM)

It sounds like the episode where they find the silicon life form on that mining planet, at the end when Bones is trying to heal the "mother". Cause then Bones pops up and and says something like "Maybe I am a bricklayer" once he healed the "mother's" phaser injury. I couldn't tell you the episode name, but I remember it being on the first season.

... and the nodules they kept finding where eggs of the "M..." creature. When they hatched they started doing the work of the minners. Can't recall the name though.

Aside:

I'm an old school Treker that never accepted any of the new versions. Netflicks offers a download service that we have set-up to be able to watch any of the episodes on demand. As soon as it was set-up we just had to watch the episode where Kirk makes gun powder to do batle with the Gorn. Boy are those costumes cheesy in high def! There few episodes where I remeber thee names but my favorite was (I believe) "City on the Edge of Forever" where the phrase "Edith Keeller must die." was used more than once and Spock used that wonderful line about using stones and bearskins to enhance his tricorder.

Last tidbit:

I have a first edition Star Trek Techinal Manual that includes a schematic of a comunicator. I believe it was a super-hetrodyne(sp?) reciever.

Ben

QUOTE (neBulus @ May 19 2009, 08:42 AM)

... and the nodules they kept finding where eggs of the "M..." creature. When they hatched they started doing the work of the minners. Can't recall the name though.

Both you and crossrulz get lots of partial credit. :)

The episode was, "The Devil in the Dark." The critter was a 'horta'.

I'm an old school Treker that never accepted any of the new versions. Netflicks offers a download service that we have set-up to be able to watch any of the episodes on demand. As soon as it was set-up we just had to watch the episode where Kirk makes gun powder to do batle with the Gorn. Boy are those costumes cheesy in high def!

They were pretty cheesy in the original low def, too!

There few episodes where I remeber thee names but my favorite was (I believe) "City on the Edge of Forever" where the phrase "Edith Keeller must die." was used more than once and Spock used that wonderful line about using stones and bearskins to enhance his tricorder.

My fellow trekkie cow-orkers and I often quote the stone knives and bearskins line to describe working here...