10 hours ago, Daklu said:

I am under the impression XControls have more or less been relegated to the rusty nails bin. I know I've seen NI employees recommend against using them in presentations. 

That's unfortunate as I've just released one xControl and am about to release another :D

The rusty nails are never-released features that aren't supported. XControls very much are supported and are useful, just not as useful as we all wish they were. Big difference. 

On 5/29/2019 at 10:55 PM, Daklu said:

I am under the impression XControls have more or less been relegated to the rusty nails bin. I know I've seen NI employees recommend against using them in presentations. 

One of those employees is me, but I am always clear when I discuss this topic that my recommendation against XControls is my personal opinion and is not an official NI position.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 9:12 AM, Darren said:

One of those employees is me, but I am always clear when I discuss this topic that my recommendation against XControls is my personal opinion and is not an official NI position.

My apologies if I misrepresented what you said.  Can you elaborate on why you recommend against using XControls?

Just now, Daklu said:

My apologies if I misrepresented what you said.  Can you elaborate on why you recommend against using XControls?

No problem, I just want to make sure people know the difference between "Darren the G programmer says _____" and "Darren the NI employee says _____".

In my "Don't Wait for LabVIEW R&D... Implement Your Own LabVIEW Features!" presentation, after I clarify that I'm presenting my personal opinion and not an official NI position, I contraindicate XControls because of numerous stability issues I've seen with them in large applications over the years. You can see my slides and watch a recording of the presentation here: http://bit.ly/dnattlvhooks 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Darren said:

...I contraindicate XControls because of numerous stability issues I've seen with them in large applications over the years.

That's in line with what I remembered, but I didn't want to spread misinformation.  :)  (Age plays havoc on my memory.)

37 minutes ago, Darren said:

No problem, I just want to make sure people know the difference between "Darren the G programmer says _____" and "Darren the NI employee says _____".

In my "Don't Wait for LabVIEW R&D... Implement Your Own LabVIEW Features!" presentation, after I clarify that I'm presenting my personal opinion and not an official NI position, I contraindicate XControls because of numerous stability issues I've seen with them in large applications over the years. You can see my slides and watch a recording of the presentation here: http://bit.ly/dnattlvhooks 

xControls are at timestamp 1:01:51

I pro-indicate them (opposite of contraindicate?) because despite some issues over the years, they have some abilities that nothing else in LV replicates, and I've learned where the rough edges are. There are some really sophisticated tools that can be built from these controls (even the Q Controls can't help out while editing). I've built multiple XControls that work just fine in built apps and large projects. YMMV.