Running RT project with dynamic IP

RnDMonkey

I'm working with a contractor on a cRIO-based test system, and we are arranging a shared version control scheme so I can work on the code as well. One issue is that there are 2 different cRIO systems operating in completely different network environments, and there are currently 3 different locations where we have to change the IP address between environments:

1. RT controller properties in project

2. A front-panel control on a UI vi that connects to the RT controller

3. A constant in an RT Main vi to set the target for the FPGA BitFile

I'd prefer to make this more portable and more easily maintainable in this shared satting under VCS, ideally just popping up a panel that offers controllers to connect to so the operator just clicks on a system to connect to. Desired features would be:

1. Dynamically identifies connected cRIO controllers

2. Offers choice of controller to connect with

3. Remembers last choice with ini file and automatically connects if there is only 1 possible target

Thank you for any help.

Ryan Rutledge

I'd prefer to make this more portable and more easily maintainable in this shared satting under VCS, ideally just popping up a panel that offers controllers to connect to so the operator just clicks on a system to connect to. Desired features would be:

1. Dynamically identifies connected cRIO controllers

2. Offers choice of controller to connect with

3. Remembers last choice with ini file and automatically connects if there is only 1 possible target

You can use the RT Target information to get a list of all connected RT systems, and from this list filter the system to connect to , e.g. by name, type etc.

post-5958-0-99770500-1379573582.png

As long as both cRIOs use the same name, no dialog should be necessary, regardless of network environment.

/J

Thanks, J. I'm on 2012, so that VI wasn't on my palette, but it got me looking in the right place so I found the equivalent. I got it working basically as I need to using a VI to place the IP address in a shared variable and work from there. I still will have to figure out how to set up a launcher VI that can run this vi that executes on the PC and also the RT Main that must run on the cRIO. Since they are in different application instances (if that's the right terminology) I can't just have them both be subVIs of the launcher.

Ryan R.

Check out the System Configuration pallet to locate remote systems. From there building a simple interface shouldn't be hard.

That doesn't solve your problem with the IP address in the project though.

Thanks, Ryan. I'm not overly worried about the project just yet, though I will eventually have to deal with that somehow.

• 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By mhsjx
      Hi,
      I'm a beginner in labview, and now test cRIO about two weeks. I still can not solve the problem. I attach my test project for explanation.
      I want to realize that , for example, with time sequence t1, t2, t3, t4,  DO outputs T, F, T, F, AO1 outputs A1, A2, A3, A4, AO2 outputs B1, B2, B3, B4, and the delay of AO1 and AO2 should as small as possible(AO1 and AO2 may comes from difference modules).
      I search in Google, NI forum, and decide to use for loop and loop timer in FPGA.
      The reason as follow:
      1. To realize the specific time interval, I can use Wait and Loop timer. But in "FPGA 0--Test DO.vi", it can't not realize specific time interval by several us's error(maybe large). And to complete once of while loop, it needs 134us. I can't explain that it can realize time interval below 134us, even I acturally realize a delay of 10us, but the input is not acturally 10us, so it's not accurate. 
      And by NI example, I use the Loop timer.
      2. In "FPGA 1--Test DO and AO.vi", I find that the loop timer helps me to realize accurate time interval, however, it ignore the first time interval. Such as, t1, t2, t3, t4, with disired output A1, A2, A3, A4. It goes A1(t2), A2(t3), A3(t4), A4(t1). And in "FPGA 2--Test DO and AO.vi", it has same problem. DO0 and AO1 goes A1(t2), A2(t3), A3(t4), A4(t1). And AO0 is always ahead of DO of t1. 

The people of NI forum advice that I should put AO0 and AO1 into one FPGA/IO node and use SCTL. But up to now, I don't find any example about it(Google or NI forum, maybe it's primary).  Mainly that AO0 and AO1 must go with different timeline, the dimension of input array is different.  Can anyone offer advice for me?
      Thanks
      Test.7z
    • By Ricardo de Abreu
      Hi guys. This semester I'm starting a course system development for control and automation engineering, witch will be based on LabView. Therefore, my University doesn't have a NI hardware, even a MyRIO for us to test our VI and the teacher said that we should test our projects with our own Arduino...
      So, I have a little experience in Arduino and I know the basics for LabView. Now I'm in a point that I know that with Arduino I'll not take the best from LabView. I cannot even deploy a code to it.
      So, there is where my question comes in...
      I'm looking for a new board better then Arduino to use in the classes. I would buy a MyRIO card if I had the money but in Brazil this board is too expensive for me
       Witch one should I get that is closest to myRIO and less expensive than that? I would like to try de deployment of a VI and FPGA..... Is this possible?
      Thanks a lot for the help!
      Regards
    • By jdeantx
      With exciting projects in oil and gas, aerospace, utilities, and other industries, Vertical AIT is looking to hire skilled LabVIEW developers and architects in the Houston area. We are an Alliance Partner, and we specialize in embedded development.
      Requirements:
      - US citizenship (required by our contracts)
      - Industry experience in production software development
      - Embedded cRIO development experience (Real-time and FPGA)
      - Certification (CLD, CLA, and/or CLED) preferred
      - Must be meticulous and detail-oriented
      We offer great benefits, and we prioritize a healthy work/life balance.
      Learn more about Vertical AIT at www.VerticalAIT.com, and please send resumes to jobs@verticalait.com.
    • By grjgrj
      Hello. I need change some code for SbRIO-9626 with LabVIEW 2018. I have code from LabVIEW 2015. Right now I have only LabVIEW 2018. And I worked with it for SbRIO-9627.
      LabVIEW FPGA, LabVIEW Real-Time, NICRIO1800 driver istalled.
      And I install Xilinx ISE 11.5 Compilation Tool too. 
      When I start compilation FPGA VI I got error about problem with compilation too (see attachment picture).
      Could you tell me how I can solve this problem? 
      It is very important. 

• By IpsoFacto
      I've got some weird stuff going on with a cRIO project I'm working on wanted to get some opinions on it. The basic architecture is a set of classes that do some process. That process registers with a server. The internal data of the process is held in a DVR and the server get's access to that DVR. Clients use TCP to ask the server to do something, the server makes a call against the classes DVR and returns a response to the client.
      To simplify the issues I'm seeing I created a class that internally just increments an integer every 500ms. The client asks the server what's the current count, the server asks the Counter class and returns the answer to the client. This works perfectly fine when running the VI in the IDE. When built it connects, will get the JSON message back, but always gets a default value from the DVR call (zero, in this case). As soon as I open a remote debug panel to the cRIO, everything is working. The count is correct, the client calls work, just like normal. As soon as I right-click, close debug, it goes back to zero. Open debug works, close debug, back to zero. I know the DVR isn't getting dropped because the count continues to increment while not in debug, the process is still running happily with no issues.
      Here's a few screenshots of the code;
      Count Class process (get the count, increment, write it back to the DVR) - Counter Class process
      You can see the DVR vi's are actually vim's using a cast. I can't imagine that's the issue.
      Server Side call - Server Side calls
      All this does is get the count from the DVR (same as above) and wraps it in JSON and passes it back to the client as a JSON string.
      I also implemented an Echo class that ignores the process and DVR's, it just takes whatever string you sent form the client to the server and passes it back with a prepended "@echo". This works when running as an executable with the debug turned off so I know the client, server, and the server/class calls are all working as expected.
      Any thoughts here would be welcome, thanks.
      edit: I added the any possible errors coming from the variant cast to the JSON reply. When the debug is open there are no errors, when the debugger is closed it throws error 91, but the in-place element structure reading the DVR does not throw any errors. How can a variant not exist until a debugger is opened and than it magically exists?
      edit: the internal data dictionary is a wrapper around a variant attribute, I wired out the "found?" terminal all the way out to the JSON reply and if the debugger is open the attribute is found, but not if the debugger is closed. Anyone have issues with Variant Attributes in Real-Time?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.