I'm taking the CLA exam in a few weeks and would like some feedback on the solution I put together (attached). A few specific questions:
Can I dump tags in the VI Documentation of the VI like I did in Error Handler - Console Error.vi and get credit since there are instructions for developers to complete this work? This would be my strategy if I run out of time.
Does this seem like a passing solution? Why/why not?
Where do you think I would lose the most points in this solution?
Any other feedback on this exam or general strategy tips are greatly appreciated!
LabVIEW Software Developer
SIGMADESIGN is a fun, fast-paced engineering consulting company currently experiencing explosive growth. We are looking for a LabVIEW Software Developer. Curiosity, competency and confidence are a must. We offer competitive compensation (DOE), Medical, Dental, and Short Term Disability insurance, a retirement plan, and profit sharing. We also offer Voluntary Benefits: Vision, Long Term Disability, and Term Life insurance.
Definition and programming of LabVIEW based software. Duties include: designing, developing, installation, and debug of custom LabVIEW based applications for a variety of monitoring, measurement, and control systems. Systems will incorporate a variety of technologies (DAQ, machine vision, motion, FPGA & real-time control, etc.) with application across a broad range of industries.
Essential Job Functions - Responsibilities:
· Develop and maintain LabVIEW applications for control and data acquisition across a wide range of test and measurement systems.
· Interpret and understand control specification documents, P&ID drawings, wiring diagrams, and schematics.
· Utilize National Instruments data acquisition hardware, off-the-shelf test equipment, and custom developed hardware.
· Troubleshoot software and electrical control issues and define and/or implement solutions.
· Support, improve and modify existing LabVIEW applications as necessary.
· Create and maintain documentation, version control history, and bug tracking for LabVIEW applications in coordination with engineering and technician teams.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience: (Knowledge, skills, & abilities)
· CLD (Certified LabVIEW Developer) certification or above is required.
· 5+ years LabVIEW application development experience with demonstrated proficiency.
· Experience with NI DAQmx, NI VISA drivers, and supported protocols (GPIB, RS232/RS485, TCP/IP).
· Experience with at least one version control system and an issue tracking system.
· Attention to detail in design, programming, debug, and documentation work.
· Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
· Ability to plan work and accomplish objectives with minimum of direction.
· Strong written and verbal English language communication skills.
Additional Desirable Skills, Education, and Experience:
· CLA (Certified LabVIEW Architect) certification highly desirable.
· Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or a related field highly desirable.
· LabVIEW Real-time and FPGA Programming experience.
· LabVIEW Object-Oriented Programming experience.
· Experience with developing Motion and Vision applications.
· Experience with CAN and Modbus network protocols.
· Familiar with basic relational database concepts.
· Linux OS administration and shell scripting experience.
· Experience with Matlab and Simulink.
· Additional software skills (C/C++, PHP, Python, etc.).
· LabVIEW for calling external code (dll, COM objects, ActiveX, .NET, etc.)
· Translation of source code from various languages (VB, C, C++, C#, Python) into LabVIEW code.
· Calling VIs dynamically.
· Experience with LabVIEW version 2012 or newer.
· Pass a post-offer background check verification.
· Complete Pre-Employment Assessment required: Begin Assessment
In addition to submitting your application, please complete the Pre-Employment Assessment to be considered for this position.
Standard office environment with normal amounts of office related conditions. Occasionally may be required to work in environmental conditions that emulate typical user environments in order to facilitate design testing and validation.
Sigma Design - Corporate Fact Sheet.pdf
Hi, I'm a Certified LabVIEW Architect seeking new contract work. I am based in the Austin, Texas area, and can travel within the US or overseas if needed. As a former NI employee, I have extensive experience creating large LabVIEW applications for test and measurement systems. Areas of expertise include LabVIEW, LabVIEW RT and FPGA, NI Vision, C, C++, C#, PXI, cDAQ, cRIO, sbRIO, GPIB, and more. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Thank you!
***BUMP*** this is still active
Draper is an independent, nonprofit research and development company headquartered in Cambridge, MA. The 1,500 employees of Draper tackle important national challenges with a promise of delivering successful and usable solutions. From military defense and space exploration to biomedical engineering, lives often depend on the solutions we provide. Our multidisciplinary teams of engineers and scientists work in a collaborative environment that inspires the cross-fertilization of ideas necessary for true innovation. For more information about Draper, visit www.draper.com.
This position seeks an engineer with a high proficiency in developing test software for Automated Test Equipment (ATE). Software development and testing support will be performed on a host of ATE platforms implemented for evaluation and test of precision instruments, mixed-signal electronic modules and systems used for guidance and navigation applications.
The candidate will be expected to support various software assignments while adhering to formalized software development processes. This includes gathering and generating formal requirements, implementing software architectures and detailed designs, developing and executing formal test plans, and supporting the packaging and deployment of official releases for end-users. The candidate will be expected to maintain software documentation and manage bugs/problems through formal tracking systems.
The ability to work and succeed within a process-oriented setting is critical, as is the ability to thoroughly document and communicate oneâ€™s work.
Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Mechanical Engineering Degree is required. Candidate must have experience programming in LabView, TestStand or other industry standard test automation software. National Instruments certifications not required but beneficial (CLA, CLD, CLED). Previous experience integrating and developing ATE for mixed-signal hardware devices is desired, as well as familiarity with integrating and developing software for commercial test instrumentation â€“ Data Acquisition Modules, PCI/PXI Instrumentation, Real Time Embedded Controllers, Communication Devices. The engineer will be part of a multi-disciplinary team and will require strong teamwork and interpersonal skills in this fast paced technology development environment.
This position requires US Citizenship and the ability to obtain a government security clearance.
Draper is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or protected veteran status. We understand the value of diversity and its impact on a high-performance culture.
How To Apply:
To view the job opening and apply, please follow the instructions listed below.
Logon to our website at https://jobs.draper.com; register, view the job opening, and apply.
6251 - Software Integration & Test Engineer